English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL news

Old 24 June 2015, 23:48   #1
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Floppy disk Magic Johnson's MVP

G'day EAB peeps!

Today I bring you Magic Johnson's MVP (aka Omni-Play Basketball V1.1), which was oddly missing from HOL despite kinda being in TOSEC.

http://hol.abime.net/6108 (new HOL entry)

I say kinda being in TOSEC because, unless I'm missing something, a cracked disk 1 by Skid Row is clearly there but disk 2 isn't obvious - it's obscured by being called (mislabelled?) the Omni-Play Basketball/Magic Johnson's MVP V1.1 side-view disk.

Anyway, I've plonked ADFs of my brand new original copy in the Zone. Enjoy!
Old 25 June 2015, 00:02   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Thank you but now Omniplay Basketball link is to Alien 3
Old 25 June 2015, 09:21   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Oops, fixed!
Old 25 June 2015, 14:55   #4
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
G'day EAB peeps!

Today I bring you Magic Johnson's MVP (aka Omni-Play Basketball V1.1), which was oddly missing from HOL despite kinda being in TOSEC.

http://hol.abime.net/6108 (new HOL entry)

I say kinda being in TOSEC because, unless I'm missing something, a cracked disk 1 by Skid Row is clearly there but disk 2 isn't obvious - it's obscured by being called (mislabelled?) the Omni-Play Basketball/Magic Johnson's MVP V1.1 side-view disk.

Anyway, I've plonked ADFs of my brand new original copy in the Zone. Enjoy!
Let the TOSEC guys know about that mislabelling. I don't know if they follow this thread and it should be corrected and of course your version could be added too.
Thanks for sharing and caring.
Old 25 June 2015, 18:43   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Thalion
Crashdisk seems to read these type of threads, but I was planning to drop him a PM at some stage anyway to alert him to the new disk images in the Zone. Mai used to spend a lot of time on EAB, but he seems to have disappeared. Are they the only two guys on EAB involved in the Amiga section of TOSEC?

Last edited by DrBong; 25 June 2015 at 23:58.
Old 25 June 2015, 21:00   #6
Thalion
Amiga Collector

I Think they are the main maintainers of Amiga NON ISO section of TOSEC.
Old 14 July 2015, 16:18   #7
Crashdisk

I made some corrections in TOSEC but your disks contain some alteration. Both are contaminated with the "Lamer Exterminator" virus and disk 1 may have been altered by the game itself (bball.cfg and sbaleaguedata)
Sorry for the delay...
Old 14 July 2015, 16:52   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
I made some corrections in TOSEC but your disks contain some alteration. Both are contaminated with the "Lamer Exterminator" virus and disk 1 may have been altered by the game itself (bball.cfg and sbaleaguedata)
I didn't think to virus check the disks as I bought the copy shrinkwrapped off Ebay (see pic below).

http://goo.gl/SjM1xA

I doubt the seller would've known as he bought it that way for collection purposes, so he was probably duped by some company selling re-shrinkwrapped copies of used games. That's just dirty pool (x2)!!
Old 14 July 2015, 17:05   #9
Crashdisk

It's possible that the game has been duplicated with the virus inside and as it's older than the game, it's quite possible. Only the SPS team will tell you whether your disks have been altered or if it's really original
Old 14 July 2015, 17:24   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Possible but unlikely, given that there have only been a few games out of 3000+ games preserved so far that have been manufactured at the disk duplicators with a virus. The game box is not as pristine as it could be, but the contents certainly are.....so it might be that it was shop stock that was opened for copying/playtesting purposes and then re-shrinkwrapped. Unfortunately, a lot of that went on back in the day at some computer shops

Still, I'll submit it to SPS and they can make their own judgment. Thanks for letting me know about the virus! In the meantime, I'll see if I can come up with working ADFs of the game that are virus-free.

Last edited by DrBong; 14 July 2015 at 22:42.
Old 14 July 2015, 22:42   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
I made some corrections in TOSEC but your disks contain some alteration. Both are contaminated with the "Lamer Exterminator" virus
Quote:
I didn't think to virus check the disks as I bought the copy shrinkwrapped off Ebay (see pic below).

http://goo.gl/SjM1xA
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about the virus! In the meantime, I'll see if I can come up with working ADFs of the game that are virus-free.
Many apologies EAB peeps! Virus-free disk images are now in the Zone. Please DELETE the original archive that was uploaded ("MagicJohnson'sMVP.lha") as both ADFs contained a bootblock virus - you have been warned!!!
Old 15 July 2015, 00:05   #12
Crashdisk

The bootblock the disk 2 is not correct (even if it has no impact). Fixed in The Zone
Old 15 July 2015, 08:56   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Crashdisk
I had to install fresh KS 1.3 bootblocks on disks 1 & 2 using VirusZ due to the damage caused by the Lamer Exterminator virus. The game loaded fine from both disks in my brief test. How were you able to restore the original bootblock for disk 2 (but not disk 1), or did you just install a non-bootable KS 1.3 bootblock for disk 2?

Last edited by DrBong; 15 July 2015 at 09:24.
Old 15 July 2015, 17:04   #14
Crashdisk

The 4 other known copies uses this bootblock... This bootblock is logical because the disk is not autobootable! For disk 1, the choice is less sure but seems to be good.

Code:
CRC32 based identification :
   +-Common disk
   | |_DOSCopy_______*[4F044856] This file
   |_BAMCopy
     |_DOSCopy________[F0DE9B8A] Omni-Play Basketball - Side View Disk (1989)(Mindscape)[data disk]
                      [58F6FFBD] SoftGallo Team #02649 (Disk 2 of 2)

TOP 5 based on track identification :
            1)  98.1% [A6241A24] Omni-Play Basketball - Side View Disk (1989)(Mindscape)[b corrupt file][data disk]
                98.1% [B44DF591] Omni-Play Basketball - Side View Disk (1989)(Mindscape)[b2 corrupt file][data disk]
Old 15 July 2015, 18:18   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Ahh yes, I forgot that the Omni-Play Side-View Disk in TOSEC would likely be the same as disk 2 of Magic Johnson's MVP. Yep, I also had a brain fade at 3am last night and made both disks 1 & 2 autobootable for the images I upped. Thanks for fixing disk 2!

BTW are you planning to include both the virus-free and virus-infected ADFs of the game in TOSEC?

Last edited by DrBong; 19 July 2015 at 19:41.
Old 20 July 2015, 22:00   #16
Crashdisk

For now, only the disk 2 (without virus) is integrated in TOSEC but ideally for original, would be to have SPS files