English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 January 2015, 18:23   #81
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I've not read any of the previous articles but still, I was expecting a book like in the images on their webpage. Oh well, maybe it will still be a good read. Hopefully.
Old 09 January 2015, 18:27   #82
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I kept quiet about this (wanted to be proven wrong) but it fully justifies why I cancelled my subscription long ago - lack of research in articles, poor pictures/layout (the 'Beast' section from this new book/magazine in particular looks dreadful with the font they've used). Half arsed job springs to mind.
If Imagine shop don't give me a proper date for next week, I'll cancel.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 09 January 2015, 18:44   #83
spud

Watch out on page 169 they have an GVP Impact Series II HD8+ labelled as a GVP A530.
Old 09 January 2015, 18:45   #84
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Well.. I don't have any Retro Gamers issues from the past and never read even in PDF, this book or whatever might still be a good collage and fun to read
If it only were that easy, the Dutch iTunes or any other digital magazine store does not offer it
Old 09 January 2015, 18:46   #85
Higgy

Come on guys, ok if you don't usually buy RetroGamer or are not used to Bookazines/Magbooks then things could get confusing. But they did say it was more a compilation of existing articles and some new. I have it and am hoping that it has articles from before I started buying RetroGamer. I also think that if/when I start needing to make space, I can lose the 'normal' mags and keep the special magbooks. The hardware guides etc are mostly articles that have (or will) be in the magazine.

I don't think it was much different in Future Publishing's day - combining content into a special.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was all new stuff but I think we have to be glad that least there is someone making this stuff for what is a limited audience.

I guess the main thing all this shows is how desperate we are for new dedicated AMIGA stuff. The recent Kickstarter proved this.

We just need the doc 'Viva La AMIGA', 'Bedrooms to Billions-16 bit version' (please make this Mr & Mrs Caulfield you have the footage!) & Brian Bagnell's Commodore AMIGA years and we will have a nice lot of original content to keep us happy for a year

Last edited by Higgy; 09 January 2015 at 18:47. Reason: spelling, doh!
Old 09 January 2015, 19:35   #86
spud

Very good comparison to the AF specials. I still bought those despite them probably being a rehash of everything I already had, or new. I like these bookazines, they're presumably of a more limited print run which might account for the price when measured in beer terms isn't that much at all
Old 09 January 2015, 20:14   #87
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Come on guys, ok if you don't usually buy RetroGamer or are not used to Bookazines/Magbooks then things could get confusing. But they did say it was more a compilation of existing articles and some new. I have it and am hoping that it has articles from before I started buying RetroGamer. I also think that if/when I start needing to make space, I can lose the 'normal' mags and keep the special magbooks. The hardware guides etc are mostly articles that have (or will) be in the magazine.

I don't think it was much different in Future Publishing's day - combining content into a special.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was all new stuff but I think we have to be glad that least there is someone making this stuff for what is a limited audience.

I guess the main thing all this shows is how desperate we are for new dedicated AMIGA stuff. The recent Kickstarter proved this.

We just need the doc 'Viva La AMIGA', 'Bedrooms to Billions-16 bit version' (please make this Mr & Mrs Caulfield you have the footage!) & Brian Bagnell's Commodore AMIGA years and we will have a nice lot of original content to keep us happy for a year

comparing Retro Gamer to Amiga Format is that of a comparison between a Robin Reliant and a Ferrari (I bought the AF Specials back then and they were better researched and written even if some of the material was combined from previous/updated articles).

I like new 'Amiga' material as much as anyone else but putting together a haphazard book/magazine without any effort just isn't cricket.
Old 10 January 2015, 14:24   #88
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I received mine today (only took 2 weeks) and I have to say its not too bad. I've just read the 'making of Worms' article and it was a good read despite some glaring typo's that really should have been spotted. Also I grew up on the A1200 so all the focus on the A500 is a little disappointing for me.

Last edited by Steve; 10 January 2015 at 18:08.
Old 10 January 2015, 18:06   #89
mikey2002kent

I too have noticed quite a few typos and errors thoughout the 'book'
Old 10 January 2015, 20:45   #90
Havie

My copy arrived today (sooner than expected) as I couldn't find one in any shop so went to Amazon. Only took a couple of days to come although could have arrived any time up to 20th according to shipping estimate.

To be fair - I knew it was a major reprint of previous articles with a few new ones but it is good to have a lot of the Amiga stuff in one place. It's a shame that they didn't use it as an opportuntiy to weed out typos and errors although Retrogamer never claim to be Amiga experts.

Be warned - it is A500 focused so if you are a 1200 fan or a big box amiga fan then you might be disappointed.

I'm not sure how the kickstarter book will compare - that seemed to be more an art coffee table book whereas this one has lots of really interesting information on games and companies and how they were made.

10 quid (and postage) is a lot to pay but it's thicker than your average magazine and has no adverts (except for Retrogamer) and is no more expensive than any other bookzine.

Last edited by Havie; 10 January 2015 at 20:46. Reason: Muppet typos!
Old 10 January 2015, 21:01   #91
seuden
uber cool demi god

I am a happy Retro Gamer subscriber but I dont have a copy of this as it seems to me that it was rushed out to cash in on the Commodore Amiga: a visual Commpendium Kickstarter project.
Old 10 January 2015, 21:20   #92
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

For me it should have been called the 'Amiga 500 Book' as its sole focus is on one machine out of the entire range of Amiga's which number more than 10. So to say its the 'Ultimate collectors guide to the Amiga' is stretching the truth a little. I suppose the majority of Amiga games were released on the A500 but still. The only true game-oriented Amiga was the CD32. The rest are home computers that just happen to play games. I don't know, I suppose I'm just nit-picking now.

Incidentally, does anyone know which articles are the new ones?
Old 12 January 2015, 02:07   #93
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
For me it should have been called the 'Amiga 500 Book' as its sole focus is on one machine out of the entire range of Amiga's which number more than 10. So to say its the 'Ultimate collectors guide to the Amiga' is stretching the truth a little. I suppose the majority of Amiga games were released on the A500 but still. The only true game-oriented Amiga was the CD32. The rest are home computers that just happen to play games. I don't know, I suppose I'm just nit-picking now.
No information on the A1200 or CD32 or games released only for those machines. Still, I think this bookazine is a good buy since I am hoping to get an my first Amiga (A500) soon.

Last edited by B14ck W01f; 12 January 2015 at 07:47.
Old 12 January 2015, 06:17   #94
aZtOcKdOg

Looking forward to my copy... trying to fill the bookshelf with as much Amiga and retro gaming bits'n'pieces as I can find (more like afford)...

I love the Amiga 500 so will be good to have this bookazine in the mix although these days I have no desire to own the actual A500 hardware as I have an A1200 and CD32... I wouldn't consider myself a collector either... more like a crazed man reliving his youth! lol
Old 12 January 2015, 12:14   #95
Gordon
Settler

I got my copy and i am really enjoying it so far. I dont buy retro gamer so for me this is all new. Covers so many games in and points of views of the developers and I personally enjoyed the sensible software sections.

To those saying its a amiga 500 book, i don't think it is. Its got tiny sections on hardware but its 99.9% games discussion.
Old 12 January 2015, 12:28   #96
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

01202 586200 - ImagineShop

Delivery by end of week, what bull they said that last week!
Old 12 January 2015, 19:04   #97
Phantomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
01202 586200 - ImagineShop

Delivery by end of week, what bull they said that last week!
Think I've got the same problem, sent a email last week asking what's going on, got told it would be posted today.

Still waiting, still showing processing.
Old 13 January 2015, 17:15   #98
LieutLaww

Just had an Email today saying mine has finally shipped !
Old 13 January 2015, 19:21   #99
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

UPDATE : IMAGINESHOP

Quote:
Hi

Your item is being shipped tomorrow and should arrive Friday or Saturday at the latest via the royal mail standard service. We apologise for the inconvenience of the backlog in orders we have had to process due to xmas the unexpected high sales of the book you have requested.

We can only apologise to the Amiga community for the delay.
Old 13 January 2015, 20:02   #100
Phantomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
Just had an Email today saying mine has finally shipped !
Had the same today, looks like we are getting our orders at last.

I see some people are already selling it on ebay uk starting bidding around £20 because it's so rare already lol, takes the piss.