English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 28 October 2020, 17:59   #1
StoneOakvalley

[Found: Adventure Construction Set] Looking for the game this fanfare came from

Hi,

Somebody emailed me recently if I could identify the following fanfare sound and from which game:

https://www.stone-oakvalley-studios.com/sv/fanfare.mp3

Details about the file:
Was recorded onto tape somewhere in 1985-1986. Sounds like a "victory" type of fanfare. The guy mentions it was maybe from an medieval type of game ( not Defender of the Crown).

The sound is very alike SONIX/DMCS synthezized trumpet. A very close match of pretty much the same sound, but different composition was found in

Sonix_Music_Driver\David_Schroeder\War_in_Middle_Earth\

and especially my SOAMC= recording of smus.UltVict_T001_ORG.mp3

Anybody can identify the fanfare uploaded - or which game it came from?
Old 28 October 2020, 19:43   #2
cry

the sample reminds me of North & South but I don't remember that particular fanfare in that game
Old 29 October 2020, 05:14   #3
chip

I exactly think the same as cry, it seems from that game, but i am not able to find it
Old 29 October 2020, 12:31   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

If you look up the relevant theme category on HOL only Defender of the Crown meets the timeframe criteria, and you've already said it's not that.
Old 29 October 2020, 13:54   #5
chip

Yes Stone, it is a really difficult one to find
Old 29 October 2020, 18:40   #6
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Looking at the timeframe the only possibilities that sprang out to me (which are fantasy and not medieval as such) are Faery Tale Adventure and Ultima III. Whether it actually came from either of these - I'm afraid I don't know.
Old 29 October 2020, 23:48   #7
StoneOakvalley

Thanks for all the tips, yes, I even suggested to the guy go to hol.abime.net with year filter of 1985 and 1986, and maybe some screenshots would jiggle his memory.

I also went down the path of fantasy and checked manually a lot of recordings, but nothing there either.

I mean that during 1985-1986, and in Norway, there couldn't be many games to choose from, so it must be either a amateur game from those assassins (if they were around), or possibly some kind of those "100 games on a single disk", who knows :-)

I suppose the PD disks could also be target to finding that game, even possibly Fred Fish stuff.
Old 19 November 2020, 20:21   #8
StoneOakvalley

Found it!

Due to a totally different project I'm working on (to find and locate a bunch of Game Creators available on the Amiga), I found the exact same fanare in

Adventure Construction Set by Electronic Arts, 1986.

Here's the intro that features the same fanfare (and the rest of it actually)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 November 2020, 01:07   #9
chip

Nice finding Stone
Old 20 November 2020, 18:41   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOakvalley View Post
Somebody emailed me recently if I could identify the following fanfare sound and from which game:

https://www.stone-oakvalley-studios.com/sv/fanfare.mp3

Details about the file:
Was recorded onto tape somewhere in 1985-1986. Sounds like a "victory" type of fanfare. The guy mentions it was maybe from an medieval type of game ( not Defender of the Crown).

Anybody can identify the fanfare uploaded - or which game it came from?
Quote:
I mean that during 1985-1986, and in Norway, there couldn't be many games to choose from, so it must be either a amateur game from those assassins (if they were around), or possibly some kind of those "100 games on a single disk", who knows :-)
Quote:
Found it!

Due to a totally different project I'm working on (to find and locate a bunch of Game Creators available on the Amiga), I found the exact same fanfare in

Adventure Construction Set by Electronic Arts, 1986.

Here's the intro that features the same fanfare (and the rest of it actually)

[ Show youtube player ]
Well, the timeframe of 1985/86 was spot-on....it's just that we probably all assumed it was from a game! I, myself, was convinced it was from an Epyx game as the trumpet sample sounded very Olympian and like something straight out of their Summer/Winter/World Games franchise.

Like you, I went through all the Amiga and C64 Epyx games recorded on YouTube searching for the trumpet sample and came up empty. I even looked through games on HOL that had credited the Sonix author for use of the sound driver. Again, I came up with nada!

Anyway, I'm glad you came across it when researching something else. It should put the guy who emailed you this mystery task out of his misery, and has certainly quenched my thirst to know where it came from too - well done, sir!