English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 18 May 2020, 22:06   #1
Solar

FS-UAE caching ADF contents?

Apparently FS-UAE is somehow caching floppy disk image content, and doing a bad job of it...

I'm starting FS-UAE through FS-UAE-Launcher 2.8.3 on Linux Mint 19.3.

I also own an A3000, with a Gotek USB floppy emulator mounted. I used that to format several ADF images.

I then unhooked the USB stick from the Gotek drive, and plugged it into the Linux box. I used unadf to list the image contents, and indeed unadf showed their new logical names, and them being empty.

But mounting those images in FS-UAE, I saw the old logical names and old contents of those images from when I had last mounted them in FS-UAE.

This is rather counterproductive; how can I turn off this behavior, and make FS-UAE actually read the images I provide?
Old 18 May 2020, 22:36   #2
Solar

OK, so...

FS-UAE by default does not write to ADF images. Instead it saves "overlays" with the data written, in ".../FS-UAE/Save States/<Configuration>/#?.sdf" files. Note, .sdf, not .adf, and the format is not compatible.

To disable this rather surprising behavior, you have to:
  • set "writable_floppy_images = 1" in your ".../FS-UAE/Configurations/<Configuration>" file. Make sure of the spelling, it's "writable", "writeable" is not recognized.
  • Delete the overlays. Even with the configuration option set, existing overlays will continue to be used.

I understand the idea of protecting your ADF's, but backup copies are cheap, and hiding this behavior behind an option that can't be set by the loader and requires some hoops to jump through to disable...