English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 May 2021, 16:09   #21
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Don't think I'd want much more. But then, I'm an bit of an odd case
Nah, same here. I'd settle for a real chip/FPGA based 030 AGA-level machine , which is fast enough for HDD/OS operations and 99.9% compatible with the "old" software (not interested in 3D PC ports era). So, a modern edition of the old one, basically.

It could be fun to have an alternative modern OS based on Amiga legacy, which could be capable of most of the everyday tasks (browsing, email, media, etc) and had reasonably robust software base, but that's another story, There's no need to chisel a new hardware for it when we have all that's possibly needed already.
Old 29 May 2021, 20:29   #22
Thorham
Computer Nerd

In an ideal world:

- Original AGA chipset, Paula and 2 MB Chip RAM (newly produced original chips)
- Choice of 68030 or 68060 (newly produced original chips)
- 2 GB Fast RAM (AOS limit)
- USB ports for mouse and controllers (visible as original game ports to software)
- SATA interface
- Network interface
- USB interface (not as the game ports above)
- Scan doubler and up to date video outputs
- Improved analog audio circuitry (not Paula, that stays as is!)
- Proper N Key rollover keyboard interface and mechanical keyboard
- Clock chip with button cell battery
- Original ROM sockets and flash RAM for custom kickstarts
Old 30 May 2021, 00:03   #23
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
* A bit controversial but I would have something like a Raspberry Pi Compute Module running a Linux distribution in the background, it would work something like Rabbit Hole on Amikit, seamlessly re-targeting Apps onto the workbench, like modern browsers which have proven impossible on Amiga to keep fully featured and maintained.

This is what I was thinking but with a RISC-V based solution instead of an RPi, given the Pi's closed nature. Kind of a WarpUp but more flexible and on an open architecture. Eventually such a thing could theoretically use a native OS and integrate the reverse (ie WarpDown) using a 68k CPU.
Old 30 May 2021, 03:56   #24
sandruzzo

My idea, is to have as much as raw power as possible, whitout wating energy into heat,and avoid as mush as possible fixed Hardware, at least for Gfx. For example, instead having fixed ray-tracing HW, I would add more compute unit with dma access, and let the developer do the rest. By doing so, when RT isn't used, we can "recicle" Compute Unit, for other stuffs like: particles, phisycs, foliage, hair, and so forth

I still wonder, why in the hell They don't add some sort of Copper on GPUs' to handle Drivers?
Old 30 May 2021, 05:26   #25
grelbfarlk

It should have an Apple M1 processor and an NVIDIA RTX A4000 GPU with P96 and Warp3D drivers. 68060 socket and a QorIQ PPC on the motherboard and an FPGA for the classic Amiga bus with Zorro-3 slots supported by a Buster-13 (in the FPGA). PCIe and PCI slots as well and DB9 Amiga input ports with NVME, USB3, Serial, Parallel, MIDI, floppy, U320 SCSI, IDE, for video both input and output ports for VGA, HDMI, Displayport, SVideo, SCART and SCART Passthrough, and DB23 for video all supporting up to 8K resolution, 7.1 RCA jacks, Optical and RCA digital, 1/8th", and 1/4th" audio input/output with a tube amplifier and HW MP3/OGG encoding/decoding. OS should include memory protection and SMP and Tea Cee Pee / Eye Pee. 5G and Wifi support on motherboard with an external antenna jack, also a neutrino radio so you can network with other modern Amigas through the earth instead of overland. USB support provided by Poseidon. Also you should win prizes whenever you boot it. The case should have 4x 3 1/2" bays, 2x 5 1/4" bays, natural wood and stone with water features to possibly attract a dryad or a nymph who might want to take up residence in it.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 30 May 2021 at 05:57.
Old 30 May 2021, 10:42   #26
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
and stone with water features to possibly attract a dryad or a nymph who might want to take up residence in it.

You mean the dryad / nymph isn't a standard feature? Amiga suxxx!
Old 14 June 2021, 09:32   #27
AmigaHope

I think Jens Schoenfeld was on the right track with his idea for fast access chip memory (effectively dual-ported as far as the AGA chipset is concerned) on the A1200 Reloaded. Though what would really be in my wish bucket is faster blitter, more sprites, and more playfields, plus tile-based playfields. What I'm basically describing is the Sharp X68000 chipset added to the Amiga. =P
Old 04 July 2021, 14:25   #28
Spriteer

Low power PPC or ARM based NG system, silent and small. Absolutely max price of 700€. Will most probably never happen. There is very little demand for such Amiga.
Old 05 July 2021, 00:32   #29
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
What I'm basically describing is the Sharp X68000 chipset added to the Amiga. =P
NO. I wish people here would stop harping on about that machine.