English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 November 2021, 04:28   #381
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

I also have a couple words to say, following Erik's response. I think this recent event is really unfortunate and the worst part is we don't have many options on how to deal with it. So I'd love to know how you guys feel about this and what do you think would be the best course of action for us in regards to this project.

Here's a list of of issues:

1) First off in regards to the backers and a possible compensation: as mentioned in this response here, Amiga.net.pl./Bitronic held up almost the entire amount gathered from the presales, so with the shop gone it seems there is no way for people to realistically reclaim their money. What we're thinking with Erik is to -at least- try and see if we can fund ourselves a portion of these returns, mostly based on the amount we took during early presales. There are several problems though:
a) The amount is extremely small, so not even a fraction of the backers can be fully compensated.
b) based on the above there's the question of who to compensate and how much.
c) The actual list of backers is gone (with Bitronic's database) and the only thing we've got is a list of order numbers. Now we can f.e. make sure someone is a backer cross-refferencing his order number, but since we don't have actual names and mails it's only for people coming forward on their own.

2) In regards to the game itself, as Erik mentioned we had no intention of abandoning it. So if it would get finisehd, that would also might be some sort of compensation, at least for those who backed the digital version. Problem here though is that we still don't have the backers list data, so no way of knowing to whom we can send the game to (though this is the least of our problems currently). Another issue is that I personally feel quite depressed and burned out by this whole ordeal and while I'm still excited about the game itself (there is actually more work done in the last few months than in the couple last years) I don't know if I can continue -in good faith- pushing this project with the public. Certainly not after this whole fiasko.

3) Another thing that's on my mind and closely related to the above is how to communicate all this. The site info about the game is definitely obsolete, we've got old videos in the channel about the game which are equally obsolete (and I'd loath to see them stay) and then there is the clear cancelation of the presales deal. Should we make some big announcement about all of these? Just let this fizzle out? What do you guys think?
Old 04 November 2021, 07:11   #382
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
For me, it is not a real problem money wise. I consider the money lost, which is not your fault and I can just forget it. I even have no problem to buy it again eventually, but please: finish the game.
Old 04 November 2021, 07:11   #383
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Phew, that's brutal.
Old 04 November 2021, 08:28   #384
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Money is gone and even if we shout loud, it will not make it back. BUT this is nothing you had hands on. Therefore I think that the best you can do is to finish the game as expected without this sad thing influence your mood.

Last edited by malko; 04 November 2021 at 10:51. Reason: typo
Old 04 November 2021, 11:59   #385
apex

I read in another forum that they started last week an AlarCity promotion to collect again money and one week later they deleted everything?!?
Old 04 November 2021, 12:17   #386
nikosidis

The money I payed for the digital version is a long time ago.
I suggest that everyone just forget about the money that went inn and hope that the game will be finished and give Tsak a break. If the game will be finished I'm glad to pay for it again. It is not like something of this quality show up often in our platform.
With this hobby OS this can happen. Not first time and not last time.
Maybe we learn something from it.

I suggest you use itch from now on. Put Worthy there and future games.
Old 04 November 2021, 12:49   #387
apex

Good English publisher:
Bitmapsoft.co.uk

Good France publisher:
doublesidedgames.com

Good German publisher:
www.polyplay.xyz
www.amigafuture.de

I bought from them in the last 2 years nearly all new games I have.
Old 04 November 2021, 14:02   #388
roondar

Wow, that's horrible!
What a mess

Hope you'll still have fun finishing the game, can't be nice when something like that happens to you!
Old 04 November 2021, 14:47   #389
Daedalus

@Tsak, earok,

Really, you shouldn't feel like you owe anyone anything. You guys did nothing wrong, you're not the ones who owe people money. In fact you're owed money, just as those who preordered are owed refunds. So don't feel guilty for someone else's wrongdoing. I appreciate you want to fix it for people who were invested in your work, but it shouldn't be your cross to bear. Their money has been stolen, and not by you.

Instead, take some time to relax and see about finishing the game and releasing it, maybe as a pay-what-you-want download on itch.io or something similar. Maybe those people who have already invested could get some perks like beta access or something that doesn't mean you guys lose more over the situation, and given there's no financial stake in that case, it might be enough to let those who invested identify themselves. Communication through the community will probably work well too - all the forums, the podcasts, the news sites, the streamers will promote it for sure.

Nobody should hold what happened against you; so you shouldn't either.
Old 04 November 2021, 14:54   #390
honx

does anyone have name and/or location of that bastard so we could set police/lawyers on that scum?

no matter whose fault this is, i absolutely don't accepte paying twice for a game! definitely NO! so if mircles really happen and alarcity really will be released someday, than i'll have to search for a pirated copy of that game somewhere, since i already paid for gold edition.

Last edited by honx; 04 November 2021 at 15:00.
Old 04 November 2021, 15:06   #391
Bren McGuire

regardless of my opinion of this game's development, which I stand by, nobody should be getting ripped over like this. this person is a top class scumbag.

i just sent tsak some info that may or may not help him in the search for this scoundrel.

i am guessing no contracts had been signed that would hold in a case? and/or the affected parties do not have the resources to chase this legally. that's always an easy way to rip people off.

not only their website is gone, all their facebook presence too. i originally contacted them via facebook when they changed to bitronic. all deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
does anyone have name and/or location of that bastard so we could set police/lawyers on that scum?
Old 04 November 2021, 18:48   #392
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@everyone : thanks for your support guys this means everything to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
I read in another forum that they started last week an AlarCity promotion to collect again money and one week later they deleted everything?!?
Wait, what? Have you seen this 'promotion/fundraiser' or is this some rumor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
than i'll have to search for a pirated copy of that game somewhere, since i already paid for gold edition.
How about simply contact us perhaps? Basically since I'd like to reconstruct the database with all the backers it would be nice if people dropped a mail at admin@pixelglass.org (don't forget your order number so I can verify).
Old 04 November 2021, 20:02   #393
torturedutopian

Hi. I'm a backer too. Personally, I really don't care if my money is lost, clearly won't ask for compensation, and am so grateful to see you're still intending to release the game (and making incredible progress on the engine).

I really think no energy or motivation should be lost on the pre-order subject as it's a low amount for each backer (but a big amount if you had to refund everyone !) and most of us would probably think it's amazing you're still working on it -- and also because, well, it's not your fault.
Old 04 November 2021, 20:06   #394
jurassicman

Hi Tsak... please, you and Earok don't have to feel guilty for what has happened.

I think that if the backers will receive a digital edition of the completed game maybe with some beta releases during the final steps of the development they will appreciate that.

As the Latins said... sursum corda!
Old 04 November 2021, 21:31   #395
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Hi Tsak... please, you and Earok don't have to feel guilty for what has happened.

I think that if the backers will receive a digital edition of the completed game maybe with some beta releases during the final steps of the development they will appreciate that.
I totally concur (well, maybe not about the Latin bit - I wouldn't know on that score).

This is no fault of the two of you whatsoever and while it is natural to feel a responsibility, you really shouldn't.

Like others have said, what to do to "compensate" people is really easy enough. Anyone that can provide a copy of their order should contact you for a digital download when the product is complete. And I believe that is the most you should be doing, not trying to dig into your own pockets for cold hard cash or anything along those lines. I know it eats into future sales of your end product for no income at your end, but at least it's not an actual negative cash stream.

I know it doesn't do anything to compensate the people who bought the more expensive option but that comes back to the fact it's not you they should be chasing. For that there are more official avenues - which I know is all easier said than done.

And I say all this as someone that has no idea if they still have a record of their order or not - but I would assume I have somewhere in the depths of my inbox

[EDIT] Well, I found my order and it looks like I was one of those people that ordered more than the download version. Strange, that's quite unlike me. But hey, I stand by my comment, I don't need compensating for that, but when the time eventually comes, a download would be nice.

Last edited by MartinW; 04 November 2021 at 23:11.
Old 04 November 2021, 22:06   #396
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I totally concur (well, maybe not about the Latin bit - I wouldn't know on that score).
(...)

Sursum corda literally means "hearts up" but most commonly we use that expression to say something like "cheer up"
Old 04 November 2021, 22:30   #397
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
@Tsak, earok,

Really, you shouldn't feel like you owe anyone anything. You guys did nothing wrong, you're not the ones who owe people money. In fact you're owed money, just as those who preordered are owed refunds. So don't feel guilty for someone else's wrongdoing. I appreciate you want to fix it for people who were invested in your work, but it shouldn't be your cross to bear. Their money has been stolen, and not by you.

Instead, take some time to relax and see about finishing the game and releasing it, maybe as a pay-what-you-want download on itch.io or something similar. Maybe those people who have already invested could get some perks like beta access or something that doesn't mean you guys lose more over the situation, and given there's no financial stake in that case, it might be enough to let those who invested identify themselves. Communication through the community will probably work well too - all the forums, the podcasts, the news sites, the streamers will promote it for sure.

Nobody should hold what happened against you; so you shouldn't either.
Well said, my feelings exactly.
Old 04 November 2021, 23:12   #398
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Sursum corda literally means "hearts up" but most commonly we use that expression to say something like "cheer up"
In which case I agree on that too, this stuff is meant to be fun
Old 05 November 2021, 12:30   #399
buzzybee

Just read this thread. I am so sorry to hear what happened to customers of bitronic. And especially to you, @earok and @Task and anyone involved in creating Worthy and AlarCity.

I cannot imagine how sad you must feel for getting ripped-off so badly, after having invested so many days, weeks, months and even years into Amiga games projects.

Thank god I never had any trouble with Andreas, who takes of www.amigashop.org and is getting RESHOOT R to the people out there. I cannot imagine a more reliable partnership.

Maybe, just maybe @AndreasM might be able to take over distribution of Worthy and AlarCity; and may be able to compensate customers of Bitronic by providing a very special price.
Old 05 November 2021, 13:28   #400
Captain Past

I'm 99% sure I pre-ordered AlarCity (can't find the proof in my emails), but I'm fine with paying for the digital download again once the game is finished. And yeah, you shouldn't feel bad about the whole thing, it's not your fault Tsak.