English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 28 August 2010, 05:45   #1
Quaxo76

ClassicWB: file operations hang in Scalos but OK in Dopus

I have this freshly installed ClassicWB FULL installation. It's on a 4GB CF card (the actual partition size is about 3.7 GB).
I'm in the process of backing up my old AmigaDOS-compliant application/data disks. I created a folder on the Workbench disk, with 2 subfolders ("Applications" and "Data Disks"). I want to copy each disk I have into the relevant folder. I try to drag-and-drop the disk icon over the folder, and it starts copying files; a new subfolder is created, with the same name as the disk, and the disk files are copied inside.
But with most disks, halfway through the copy, something happens: the floppy drive stops reading, and the HD light gives a short flash every second or so. And the file copy progress window stays there forever. I can't find a way to cancel the operation, so I have to reboot, and so the system disk gets invalidated, and I have to wait for the (slow) validation process.

If I try the same thing with Dopus (manually creating a new subfolder and copying all the files from the floppy to that folder) everything works perfectly.

Any idea what's happening here?
And: is there a way to cancel a disk operation? (sometimes I have a corrupted floppy disk, and I get the system request with the "cancel" and "retry" buttons, but even if I click on "cancel" hundreds of times, the operation is not canceled and I have to reboot...)

Thank you in advance,
Cristian
Old 28 August 2010, 07:38   #2
Cammy

I don't know why it does this, sorry. But I was booted up in Scalos (ClassicWB ADVSP) and I used FMSsys to mount some virtual floppy disks, which I then unpacked the Workbench 3.1 Install disks onto, and used this set-up to make a new installation of Workbench on another partition. To make this work I also had to assign DF2: and DF3: to FF0: and FF1: so the Workbench installer would find the disks it was looking for. But at 8% through the installation process, it just stalled for about half an hour. I eventually just rebooted and waited for the HDD to validate again.

The partition I was installing to is formatted as OFS, I can't remember why though, I think I made it ages ago to install Workbench 1.3 on. In any case, I am not going to try installing it on this partition again, next time I'll install on an SFS partition and I'll boot up in plain old Workbench rather than Scalos.

I'm really eagerly awaiting the release of PFS3 so I can start using it on all my Amigas.
Old 28 August 2010, 16:13   #3
Bloodwych

Hi Quaxo76, you seem to be having problems I've never heard of or experienced before!

You can try and enable the floppy disk cache from the top menubar tools menu. This is advisable for whenever you work with floppies to speed up the process dramatically.

It might be something to do with the ExAll flag you changed. Dopus has a separate read/write routine that uses ExAll by default I think, independent from the Scalos setting.
Old 28 August 2010, 20:51   #4
Quaxo76

Yes, it's frustrating! I just want to setup my Amiga so that I can play WHDLoad games, and to copy over my old data from my old floppies.

If Dopus uses ExAll, why does it show all the files in the PCMCIA card which weren't shown in Scalos with ExAll enabled?
Old 28 August 2010, 20:54   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Usual Max Transfer issue?
Old 28 August 2010, 22:07   #6
Quaxo76

No, I already set the MaxTransfer to the right value (that fixed another problem I was having with corrupt files). Unless there are different possible MaxTransfer values to try... I set it to 1FE00.
Old 28 August 2010, 22:24   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps filesystem bug? (DOpus probably uses rarely used features or something..) Do you have latest FFS installed in RDB? (Assuming you use FFS)

EDIT: perhaps latest FFS is needed for large partitions (over 2G or so?). Try creating two partitions, both less than 2G.

ExAll is directory listing related only, it can't cause disk copy hangs.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 29 August 2010 at 07:52.
Old 28 August 2010, 23:36   #8
Bloodwych

Thanks for chipping in Toni - must admit, I don't know the technical side of ExAll so thanks for explaining, but I do know Quaxo76 has been having issues similar to what we found in WinUAE ages ago (which you kindly fixed!):

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54688
Old 29 August 2010, 11:09   #9
Quaxo76

How do I tell what File System I'm using? I created it a long time ago with WinUAE and I forgot now. It's a single 3.7GB partition.
I know that I can mount it in linux with the command "mount -t affs". That's how I transfered files (like system.zip) into it.
Talking of file systems... if I should have to reformat... Should I go with another file system? Are there much better filesystems than FFS? How should I install them, and would I still be able to access the data in Linux (important dor me)?

Different but related question: when I try to do some operations on a floppy drive, and it has a read/write error, and the system requester comes up saying retry/cancel... no matter how many times I hit cancel (or retry), it never aborts the operation. I have to reboot to get rid of the system requester. Is there no way to abort a failing operation?