English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 November 2022, 12:33   #1401
vulture

Glad the project goes on
Old 01 November 2022, 12:33   #1402
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So... Dread will continue (but only solo by KK) and Grind is the new project by Tsak?
Old 01 November 2022, 13:58   #1403
Promilus

Most likely Dread is going to continue as game engine alone and maintained only by KK while Grind is going to be game on Dread engine maintained by Tsak. So ... artwork, optimized textures, weapon models, character models, level layout etc.
Old 01 November 2022, 14:03   #1404
d4rk3lf

Guys.. read between lines.. nothing really changes.
Except, KK patreon is closed officially.
Old 01 November 2022, 15:14   #1405
rothers

I feel as if the engine could be used for lots of things not just a doom like game. How about a racing game? An RPG?

I'm looking forward to trying things in the engine. Can the screen size be made smaller for an RPG for example?
Old 01 November 2022, 16:05   #1406
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
An RPG?
Yup!
I've been thinking about that for some time.
And I think it's already sort of possible, if you come up with nice story and use "different keys open different doors", in a clever ways so the quests can be done in interesting ways (not just "go to this room and kill the rats").
The experience and levels could be tricky, but perhaps upgrading weapons can sort of simulate that?
Maybe even KK or Tsak could jump in and help (if your game is progressing nicely) for some more unique quest solutions, or something like that

KK uploaded on patreon some map of some village like level. I don't know if you seen it. Man that looked so great, and perfect for some rpg settings.
I am not sure if we are allowed to post it, so I won't post it... if it can be posted, Tsak, or someone, please post it here.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to trying things in the engine. Can the screen size be made smaller for an RPG for example?
Not sure what are you asking here.
How the smaller screen can help game to become rpg?
Old 01 November 2022, 16:24   #1407
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
Most likely Dread is going to continue as game engine alone and maintained only by KK while Grind is going to be game on Dread engine maintained by Tsak. So ... artwork, optimized textures, weapon models, character models, level layout etc.
Okay, that makes sense.
Old 01 November 2022, 17:19   #1408
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Not sure what are you asking here.
How the smaller screen can help game to become rpg?

Well you need more space for the RPG elements. eg:

Old 01 November 2022, 17:46   #1409
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Not that small if you work with PAL or if sprites are used for overlays; for the inventory and magic an os-x like doc that get items smaller with more items seems ideal to use less estate, for all meters am thinking how that could be done. [ok that requires more mouse work though so if we are aiming for a real time RPG might be confusing] - the battle log CAN be hidden though or replaced with a one/two liner

Last edited by saimon69; 01 November 2022 at 17:52.
Old 01 November 2022, 17:49   #1410
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Not that small if you work with PAL or if sprites are used for overlays

It uses sprites for the weapons already all taken.

Need some sort of menu at the bottom of a reasonable size. I've got some great ideas for this, would love to see it happen on an Amiga.

Not sure if the resolution is hard coded for speed. Guess a popup could be coded. Need to see how the code works really.
Old 01 November 2022, 21:19   #1411
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
Anyway, great to see the project keeps on running, and that the content side is in great hands.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
@Tsak : I don't know exactly how much Asm-skilled you are to maintain, improve the engine (I know for sure that your gfx skills are not to be proven in the other hand ) but good or not, I wish you the best to keep this project alive without any pitfall. Diving into somebody else code is never an easy Tsak ().
Well, I have absolutely no ASM skills. But I know pretty well how to handle the engine features so far, for customisations on the art and content side. And of course KK will still be there and very informed on the project's progress.

Quote:
KK uploaded on patreon some map of some village like level. I don't know if you seen it. Man that looked so great, and perfect for some rpg settings.
I am not sure if we are allowed to post it, so I won't post it... if it can be posted, Tsak, or someone, please post it here.
That asset set is basically where we left it and where 'Grind' continues from. I plan to finalise it and make a couple extra maps with it. Then I'll be moving to the next phase (brand new UIs and Guns). It remains to be seen what will be used from this set for the final game, so parts of it (or all of it) might end up being released to the community eventually.

Quote:
Not sure if the resolution is hard coded for speed. Guess a popup could be coded. Need to see how the code works really.
I think I'm pretty sure it is hardcoded for speed indeed. Afaik KK never shared any plans for different display options than the current one. Though -I guess- there is nothing stopping you from blitting some UI overlay as a last resort.

Quote:
Guys.. read between lines.. nothing really changes.
Except, KK patreon is closed officially.
And Grind's open.
Btw for anyone interested to help fund this project: https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga
There's a ton of work going forwards.

And something else. Should I make a brand new, fresh thread perhaps or continue here? What do you guys think?
Old 01 November 2022, 21:40   #1412
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
And something else. Should I make a brand new, fresh thread perhaps or continue here? What do you guys think?
Seems like a good idea when you're ready. You can use it to explain the new situation and promote the new patreon site. It would also be a good time to link the latest preview. If you have something coming up, maybe it's better to wait until that's ready. Just my two cents. Good luck with the project
Old 03 November 2022, 09:37   #1413
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Well you need more space for the RPG elements. eg:
If you do the game exactly like many other games, sure.
Old 06 December 2022, 07:56   #1414
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Fresh Grind news : first video showcase of the new Innsmouth-set in action! Note that the video (and article) is public so feel free to check it out (and also share) https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga

Here are a few screenshots as well:

Old 06 December 2022, 10:36   #1415
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

This is beautiful Tsak and thanks as well for the video.
Great games can come out of this !
Old 06 December 2022, 10:54   #1416
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Fresh Grind news : first video showcase of the new Innsmouth-set in action! Note that the video (and article) is public so feel free to check it out (and also share) https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga
Wow, that looks really good I love the direction the art has taken
Old 06 December 2022, 11:33   #1417
grond

I love the screenshots. I always preferred 1st person engines used for fantasy settings (and I don't mean Heretic). A dungeon crawler RPG type game would be awesome but that's certainly too much to wish for because the game logic and story is a lot of extra work where shooters just need some good level design.
Old 06 December 2022, 11:47   #1418
pandy71

Quote:
That asset set is basically where we left it and where 'Grind' continues from. I plan to finalise it and make a couple extra maps with it. Then I'll be moving to the next phase (brand new UIs and Guns). It remains to be seen what will be used from this set for the final game, so parts of it (or all of it) might end up being released to the community eventually.
To me it sounds like project that can be linked with 'The Witcher' universum... of course not 'The Witcher' itself because it is protected trademark but quite close... let say inspired by...
Old 06 December 2022, 11:51   #1419
vulture

Looks beautiful!
Old 06 December 2022, 16:20   #1420
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Love it. Like this you'd be able to create Darkmere in 3D. Or the intro of Wrath of the Demon