English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 September 2010, 12:40   #1
AmigaFun

DENEB, can't read from USB sticks properly

Hi all.

I have just got round to plugging in my A4000 that had a DENEB installed. It has been sitting around for maybe 3-4 months, and opened it up yesterday to make sure the boards were all plugged in and to install a CVPPC board. Well, this morning I decided to plug in a USB stick and I get two problems.

1) If I leave the USB stick in, the machine will boot up (as far as I can tell) but I get no screen. It just remains blank. The floppy clicks in the normal way. So I turn off and removed the stick and the machine boots fine. The USB stick gets recognised when it's plugged in though and the icon comes up.

2) Just found that I can't read files from the stick. It may get 1/2 way through then just fails. I have formatted it in OS3.9, and copied a file from aminet via my PC then moved the stick back into the Amiga.

What's going on then?

Any ideas??

Ta,

Martin
Old 19 September 2010, 12:47   #2
kriz

I can read usb sticks/drives fine on my deneb, but i also get this black screen when booting and a usb stick is inserted....
Old 19 September 2010, 12:47   #3
kriz

Maybe try to format the usb stick again on the pc, sometimes they fail... Or try another stick or harddrive...
Old 19 September 2010, 12:53   #4
AmigaFun

So that's normal then, the black screen if a USB stick is left in? How about a USB keyboard or mouse then?

I tried two different sticks, one formatted in a PC previously, and then the USB stick I formatted in my A4000 (quick format). I can write fine to the stick fine though

Last edited by AmigaFun; 19 September 2010 at 12:55. Reason: typo's
Old 19 September 2010, 13:20   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFun View Post
So that's normal then, the black screen if a USB stick is left in? How about a USB keyboard or mouse then?

I tried two different sticks, one formatted in a PC previously, and then the USB stick I formatted in my A4000 (quick format). I can write fine to the stick fine though
I have a feeling, I know you, and I set up your A4000.
If it was me, then I set it up so you could boot from USB hence the blank screen.

However, I never had any problems reading and writing from USB sticks / storage.
Try deleting all the config files in the config tab in Poseiden. Then restart, it should then recreate all the configs for each device.
One other thing, how are you formatting it, "quick format"?
Old 19 September 2010, 13:42   #6
AmigaFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I have a feeling, I know you, and I set up your A4000.
If it was me, then I set it up so you could boot from USB hence the blank screen.

However, I never had any problems reading and writing from USB sticks / storage.
Try deleting all the config files in the config tab in Poseiden. Then restart, it should then recreate all the configs for each device.
One other thing, how are you formatting it, "quick format"?
Yea, you know me! I have only just opened the box it was packed in!!

I have just deleted the configs in Poseiden, but exactly the same error comes up, mid way through using Unarc.
Actual example: I am trying to copy from Aminet 'Whichamiga'. From my PC I have downloaded it to the USB stick, then plugged the stick into the Amiga. The disk icon comes up, I find the archive, double click it and Unarc asked where I want it. I choose 'Files' on my hard disk. It gets only so far and fails on the same file 'Whichamiga' where it says it's corrupt. I tried the same thing on another random file from Aminet and it seems to fail on the main file (the exe?).
Old 19 September 2010, 13:49   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Yea, you know me! I have only just opened the box it was packed in!!

I have just deleted the configs in Poseiden, but exactly the same error comes up, mid way through using Unarc.
Actual example: I am trying to copy from Aminet 'Whichamiga'. From my PC I have downloaded it to the USB stick, then plugged the stick into the Amiga. The disk icon comes up, I find the archive, double click it and Unarc asked where I want it. I choose 'Files' on my hard disk. It gets only so far and fails on the same file 'Whichamiga' where it says it's corrupt. I tried the same thing on another random file from Aminet and it seems to fail on the main file (the exe?).
What happens if you copy the fiel to the HDD or RAM, then unarc it.
Else try a different stick, see if that gives same result.

I was using a 256MB stick, which worked fine.
Old 19 September 2010, 14:03   #8
AmigaFun

Quote:
What happens if you copy the fiel to the HDD or RAM, then unarc it.
Else try a different stick, see if that gives same result.

I was using a 256MB stick, which worked fine.
Same thing. Says the file is corrupt.
I am using a 256MB stick to (USB stick with a M2 card adapter)
Old 19 September 2010, 14:14   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Same thing. Says the file is corrupt.
I am using a 256MB stick to (USB stick with a M2 card adapter)
Can you try a download from somewhere else, just to rule that out.
Or maybe try copying a file from a CD to USB and try extracting for there.

It could be that Posieden doesnt like your adapter.
Old 19 September 2010, 14:25   #10
AmigaFun

Quote:
Can you try a download from somewhere else, just to rule that out.
Or maybe try copying a file from a CD to USB and try extracting for there.

It could be that Posieden doesnt like your adapter.

Just copied Viewtek.lha from aminet CD7, to both RAM and the USB stick. The one copied from CD to RAM unarc'ed without errors. But the Viewtek.lha I copied to another 256mb stick, did not not work properly. The same error came up mid way through the unarc process.
Old 19 September 2010, 19:20   #11
AmigaFun

I have just installed OS4, and the problem has gone. But that does still leave the question as to why it's doing that in OS3.9
Old 19 September 2010, 20:24   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I have just installed OS4, and the problem has gone. But that does still leave the question as to why it's doing that in OS3.9
Dunno thats wierd, as I said I had no problems. What about transfering standard files do they come across intact?

With OS4 did you disable the deneb flash?

As I have never got OS4 to work with the modules from deneb flash, even when telling it to not use them under OS4.
Old 19 September 2010, 20:32   #13
AmigaFun

Quote:
Dunno thats wierd, as I said I had no problems. What about transfering standard files do they come across intact?

With OS4 did you disable the deneb flash?

As I have never got OS4 to work with the modules from deneb flash, even when telling it to not use them under OS4.
Hi mate, yea had to disable the FlashROM on it.
As far as standard files, not too sure. All I know is that it kept failing on the same file every time. Next time I plug in OS3.9 I will have a look. But for now, I am stuck again. OS4 seems fine, but Nightlong, Quake and the demo version of Freespace all refuse to work. Getting real pi$$ed off over it all.
As far as I can tell, with each new OS, the system has got less and less friendly. I remember when you could just load a coverdisk in workbench 1.3 and it would just work. Now, it just tricks you into thinking it's going to work by installing the software and then freezes up on you. What have I done to deserve this?? All day I have spent on this, not to mention money. Give me my old 500 anyday.