English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 June 2016, 03:06   #1
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

SCSI ID Prioirty (and SCSI cable question)?

Dumb question, but is it the higher the number the higher the priority or is it the opposite? I have a GVP HD8+ SCSI card in my A2000 and I'm trying to figure out what to ID to set the hard drive and the CD Drive to. Right now I have the HD set to 2 and the CD to 0 (the board itself is set to 7 per the manual's instruction).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting odd random crashes when I have the CD and the hard drive hooked up together and I'm trying to figure out if there's a conflict somewhere or if it's the cable itself. At the moment I'm leaning towards the cable being the culprit since I got the crashes even when I disconnect the CD drive BUT they went away when I used a short two connector cable to hook up just the hard drive (the other cable is a long 4 connector cable). I'm wondering if I'm running into odd 'SCSI voodoo' issues (sorry, that's an old Mac term, but it seems to apply here).
Old 12 June 2016, 04:24   #2
idrougge

There is no priority on SCSI IDs on the Amiga. Check your termination.
Old 12 June 2016, 04:33   #3
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Ok that's good to know. I have a cable that has a terminator and the cd rom drive has the ability to terminate. Does it matter which I use? Does the number of connectors on the cable matter?
Old 12 June 2016, 04:58   #4
Daedalus

Okay, some SCSI basics. No, the number of connectors doesn't matter. No it doesn't matter what you use to terminate the cable. What's important is that there is exactly one terminator at each physical end of the cable. No more, no less. No ifs, no buts. That's the most basic rule. After that, every device needs to have a unique ID including the host (which is frequently ID 7). Once you've got that far, devices will be loaded in order but nothing will get a chance before all devices have been read, so priority doesn't mean a great deal in SCSI land.

There's no magic about SCSI, you just have to follow the rules without any "ah, this might be ok" or "surely this doesn't matter" type ideas. Follow the rules, only the rules and no rumours, and it will work 100%.
Old 12 June 2016, 05:22   #5
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Then I wonder what was causing my crashes then? It has to be something with the termination since as you said, the cable itself doesn't matter. The odd thing was that when it crashed, I didn't get a guru error, I just got a blank screen the same color as the background (like all the graphics went away). I've never seen that before.
Old 12 June 2016, 05:41   #6
idrougge

TERMINATOR ---- CARD ---- DISK ---- DISK ---- TERMINATOR

(The terminator on your card is usually two or three things looking like this: mmmm)
Old 12 June 2016, 17:19   #7
Daedalus

It could be an actual fault with the cable. Try hooking up each drive by itself on the 4-connection cable and see if they work by themselves. It could also be an incompatibility of one of the drives' settings for reselection, synchronous etc. To start with, make sure everything's set to asynchronous. It's slower but more compatible, and is usually the default of any controller.
Old 12 June 2016, 22:16   #8
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

The new cable seems to work. Must have been a wonky cable or something.