English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 March 2009, 23:39   #1
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Computer games as opposed to TV/Music/Film

I was wondering, why the vast majority of gamers, do not replay older games? Most people would never play Metal Gear Solid again after finishing it in the 90s simply because their are technologically superior games available. Although they may have enjoyed WizKid, they will choose never to play it again.

However, with other entertainment forms such as music, television and film. Older pieces are watched or listened to over and over again. Although old television sitcoms are basic with crappy looking sets, they still get a ton of re-runs.

I know that my Brother and friends would NEVER play a game that wasn't current gen or maybe only a few years behind, which I struggle to understand. If you enjoyed a game in the past, why can you not experiance it again? Why is it any different to similar media forms?

Of course there is a huge emu community and people do still play their old titles but that is only a small percentage of gamers.

What do you guys think?
Old 02 March 2009, 23:44   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Why is it any different to similar media forms?
I'm afraid games, TV shows, and music are NOT similar form of media.
Here's one argument for starters: we choose the game we want to play, the people behind TV station's program choose what show/muzak they'll going to play.
Everybody knows that during the next xmas we will see the 98347934597th re-re-re-run of Home Alone, but it is we who choose the game we want to play.
Old 02 March 2009, 23:55   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I can only speak for myself, but I watch old movies, listen to old music and play old games. I also watch/listen/play new stuff. I would say that quite a few people do it like that. Main problem is that you have to set up a kind of emulator if you don't own the actual hardware for a game anymore. So I wouldn't say that there a big difference. I know a lot of people who don't watch old movies either, but music is something different for sure
Old 02 March 2009, 23:57   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Watching a film takes 1-2 hours of your life.

Playing through Resident Evil again (for example) takes upwards of 15 hours.

As you get older you just don't have as much free time as you used to, so it's difficult to squeeze it all in!
Old 03 March 2009, 00:13   #5
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I watch, play and listen to all old and new stuff there is never a moment in my life where i am not doing anything! (apart from when sleeping).

Old and new kung fu movies are equally awesome

Same applies to old and new rock/metal (dont really listen to anything else )

I dont really watch much tv as most of it is just trash or re-runs these days (bring back trap door and danger mouse etc... gotta love those old toons)

I have many old and new games but i replay the older ones more than the newer ones (im sure most have completed monkey island a gazillion times... or is that just me )

I think you would usually find its the younger generation who are still at school or college who consider old games as crap.... oh how wrong they are!
Old 03 March 2009, 00:17   #6
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Watching a film takes 1-2 hours of your life.

Playing through Resident Evil again (for example) takes upwards of 15 hours.

As you get older you just don't have as much free time as you used to, so it's difficult to squeeze it all in!

I agree, I think it has more to do with time investment and the fact that playing a game of Paradroid 90 also takes an investment of energy and effort tonight that I just aint got. So I am watching some film I watched years ago.
Old 03 March 2009, 14:12   #7
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I don't think time has anything to do with it. Who says you have to fully complete a game to have played it?

Many games, especially ones of a rather retro nature, can be played for short periods of time. You really don't have to sit and play on Zool till you have completed it.

I think in this respect it is similar to a TV series. You don't have to watch every single episode to have experianced it. Watching the first episode of a series is no different to playing up to the first boss on Zool for example.

If you have time to watch Television, you have time to game.

In response to Shoons. That may have been the case a few years ago but now we have on demand cable television, on demand internet television (and streaming e.g. tvlinks), DVDs of television and of course warez. I very rarely watch TV and choose what I want to watch via, alternate sources.

If I want to watch Frasier, I can load up an episode from my PC. If I want to play Zool, I can load that up. I don't think there is any real difference in modern times.
Old 19 April 2012, 19:48   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I dont really watch much tv as most of it is just trash or re-runs these days (bring back trap door and danger mouse etc... gotta love those old toons)
Danger Mouse Amiga work in progress game
Thinking of a graphic adventure in the style of Snatcher on the Mega Cd but focussing on a Danager Mouse adventure.
[ Show youtube player ]