English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 26 April 2021, 13:07   #101
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
That looks insanely awesome!!! Even the buildings move / wilt in the heat
Hehe thanks! I can't really use that animation method on that stage as the animation is rigged to the movement, so when I run left it starts animating backwards, but it was a good proof of concept.

Unlike this: [ Show youtube player ]

I was trying to find out how many parallax slices you can use.. (seemingly 48?) Presumably Earok knew this already, lol, but it's hard to imagine what it'd look like until you try. A lot of potential for using the background parallax for star fields and stuff like that though..?
Old 26 April 2021, 22:23   #102
earok

Wow.. that's a really cool effect! Honestly I didn't think there was a limit though? You -should- be able to put a slice on every single line (though doing so would be incredibly slow). I may need to investigate that.
Old 26 April 2021, 22:59   #103
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Wow.. that's a really cool effect! Honestly I didn't think there was a limit though? You -should- be able to put a slice on every single line (though doing so would be incredibly slow). I may need to investigate that.
Oh! There IS no limit I'm just REALLY bad at maths LOL. One sec I'll fix it to fill the screen. HAhaha

[ Show youtube player ]

180 slices, I run WinUAE A1200+1MB fast but it seems to run okay.. probably not once you start adding the rest of the level though.

---

I'm thinking of ditching the needless statusbar location graphics on the map, at least for the demo, given the amount of extra work it is for me to make all of those, and the occasional jankiness it adds to proceedings. I'll maybe re-add them later, but possibly in a different form.

Last edited by Mixel; 26 April 2021 at 23:51.
Old 28 April 2021, 11:51   #104
Mixel

I've been trying to work out the best way to capture CMOhn footage for streaming and trailers etc.. Shaderglass seems a good bet but it's hard to pick which CRT filter to use. Among all the nonsense there are some really great ones.. Here's a random selection..

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 May 2021, 10:50   #105
Mixel

I haven't been sharing much.. Don't want to spoil a lot of things as I'm wrapping things up.. I can share random little snippets like this though..

Gif in motion https://imgur.com/qwS2RKV

and youtube if you prefer... [ Show youtube player ]

There was too much grey in the last version of this stage's parallax, now it has a lot more depth.

It's going *very* well on the dev front, I'm really happy with some of the late game content, can't wait until I can share more.
Old 07 May 2021, 13:55   #106
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ]

I'm still experimenting with the best ways to use the slightly strange properties of the copper reserve colours.. Very happy with the reflection effect in the windows here! I've used them on even more impressive stuff later on.
Old 09 May 2021, 17:57   #107
Mixel

Still being a bit quiet until demo is out but here's a couple of zombies in my test room..

Animations need some work and there isn't supposed to be that much blood when the crawlers grab you.. (as funny as it is)

Their legs are weaker than their upper bodies so you can destroy their legs.. There's a different set of risks involved with the crawlers though (they don't vom at you, but they can grab you for massive damage.)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 May 2021, 18:28   #108
nikosidis

Mixel: That is freaking cool Zombies
Old 09 May 2021, 19:20   #109
Mixel

Thanks, haha I actually uploaded the wrong video but it’s close enough.
Old 09 May 2021, 19:35   #110
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Thanks, haha I actually uploaded the wrong video but it’s close enough.
This runs perfect on standard A1200 or you need some fast?
Old 09 May 2021, 20:22   #111
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
This runs perfect on standard A1200 or you need some fast?
Build I'm currently working on (and most likely the first version of the demo) requires 2 Chip/1MB fast but the long term goal is to support base models - in regards to RAM at least.

Full game is likely to end up so big as to make using floppies a bit of a silly idea, but we'll see. (Scorpion doesn't support multi disk games yet but probably will by the time I've finished the entire game, as that's months (years?) away!)
Old 09 May 2021, 20:31   #112
nikosidis

Quote:
Build I'm currently working on (and most likely the first version of the demo) requires 2 Chip/1MB fast but the long term goal is to support base models - in regards to RAM at least.

Full game is likely to end up so big as to make using floppies a bit of a silly idea, but we'll see. (Scorpion doesn't support multi disk games yet but probably will by the time I've finished the entire game, as that's months (years?) away!)
I do not think A1200 game needs to be on floppy.
People using a real A1200 have HDD and others use Emulation or hardware clones that also have HDD. Even fast ram should be no problem regarding real hardware A1200 users
Problem might be with CD32 support but they at least have CD-rom so again forget floppy
Old 09 May 2021, 21:06   #113
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Sure. 10 years after the floppies production is discontinued they slowly become obsolete technology
Old 09 May 2021, 21:29   #114
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Sure. 10 years after the floppies production is discontinued they slowly become obsolete technology
Makes me sad, I wish someone still produced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I do not think A1200 game needs to be on floppy.
People using a real A1200 have HDD and others use Emulation or hardware clones that also have HDD. Even fast ram should be no problem regarding real hardware A1200 users
Problem might be with CD32 support but they at least have CD-rom so again forget floppy
Agreed*, but it'd be neat to be able to spread it over many ADF files for people with Goteks etc, just in case. Back in the days when they still produced floppies it made sense to have a 4+floppy game but now it just seems like a waste.

And yup unexpanded CD32 is the ultimate target, but isn't my first concern.. Slight possibility it might not end up being the best version. (though it might maybe get CD Audio! Who knows..)

*I'm not saying people are wrong for wanting base model support, it's understandable, but the lead version is the "whatever it takes" one, then things get massaged into working on the lower specs. (including, eventually maybe even base 1MB machines, whichmight well look quite different, in some fun ways)

I think it's better to do it this way as every configuration gets the best game I can make, otherwise I'm limiting things at the low end for no good reason, and limiting the possible scope, which is significantly broader than what I've shown so far.
Old 10 May 2021, 12:12   #115
AmyMor

I personally have access to whatever form a developer wants to release their game:

Three floppy drives
1 CD-ROM reader
And a Vampire SD card.

But I think you shouldn't limit your ideas to fit the ADF minimum. The best support remains the CDROM, in the post-Commodore era all games were released on CD and were pearls! Movies and soundtracks at Go! Go!
Old 11 May 2021, 07:44   #116
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

And also game can be installed from ADFs, it is not much needed to have it bootable and uncompressed.
Old 11 May 2021, 10:06   #117
Mixel

Yup I really can’t comment on what the end result/s will be, certain configs (bootable from floppy, running on base hardware) are definitely easier to sell in boxed form, if bitmapsoft will still take it after what’s clearly going to be a long-ass dev time..

There’s a couple of mechanics I’m attached to (that have been part of the design since before I even knew about Scorpion!) that might make running on stock anything slightly difficult, but maybe not! We’ll see.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:15   #118
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
if bitmapsoft will still take it after what’s clearly going to be a long-ass dev time..
I really REALLY hope something will happen in meantime in politics, because what I experienced with boxed Smarty from Bitmapsoft (regarding customs) I do not want to experience again.
Old 12 May 2021, 11:13   #119
AmyMor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I really REALLY hope something will happen in meantime in politics, because what I experienced with boxed Smarty from Bitmapsoft (regarding customs) I do not want to experience again.

Unfortunately I too had a bad experience, on a package of 32 € I paid 16 € for customs !!!
I do not think (in spite of myself) that I will never buy from England again and like me many Italians who made several Amiga purchases ... A real shame ...
Old 12 May 2021, 11:53   #120
Mixel

Yeah, apologies for my total clownshow of a country. It's entirely possible it'll be a bit less craptastic by the time I'm done..

TBH anything could've happened by the time I'm done, haha.