English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 June 2022, 08:08   #1
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Xtreme Racing

I have just been getting back into this game again, and with a suitably powerful Amiga (or emulator) I would actually have to say it's a better game than Mario Kart, except for the uninspired graphics. Anyway...

I was wondering if anyone here is willing to share their laptimes file as a laptime merge program exists here: https://aminet.net/package/game/race/xtrlapt and I would get much more enjoyment out of this game if I were not simply trying to beat my own fastest laps.

Cheers
Old 30 June 2022, 10:45   #2
acidbottle

Played this for hours BITD on an 030. Graphics were a little ropey sure but it was great fun, nice soundtrack to. A bit underrated in my opinion.
Old 30 June 2022, 10:47   #3
str0m

One of my favourite racing games of all time! Used to play it tons when I was at University on my 1200. I had a website on the old free Tripod(?) service which had all the tracks I could find on Aminet etc for download.

Picked up the boxed game a while back for my shelf as I sold my original one a long time ago.

It plays quite well on my CD32 with a TF330, can get solid 25fps in 2x1 with the screen slightly reduced. I'm running it from some CD32 image I found which has a couple of hundred games on running off the card in my TF330, the version there has even more track than I remember back in the day and saves the lap times. Not sure if I can get them off there though by putting the SD card in a Windows PC and reading the files, don't want to risk corrupting it.

It does have some annoying bits like the AI cars being a bit to quick sometimes or the delay when you crash but it less annoying than Mario Kart in that respect!
Old 30 June 2022, 11:23   #4
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

4 Player VS mode is godlike fun
But it needs at least a 040 to be a real fun and not a choppy slideshow.

Vampire V1200 chews this with 1x1 res with a high frame rate though.
Old 30 June 2022, 21:25   #5
BigD

The laptime saving is the buggiest part of this game! The null modem link mode works fine with V1.0 of this game apart from if one of the players breaks a lap record whereon it demands you save the initials of said player on both machines and it normally crashes!
Old 01 July 2022, 10:42   #6
str0m

I don't recall issues with saving the lap times, it does sometimes take a while even on my TF330, same back in the day on my 1200 running it off HDD. Never tried it linked up, 8 player would be mad!
Old 01 July 2022, 17:30   #7
Daff
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post

I was wondering if anyone here is willing to share their laptimes file as a laptime merge program exists here: https://aminet.net/package/game/race/xtrlapt and I would get much more enjoyment out of this game if I were not simply trying to beat my own fastest laps.

Cheers
Here the laptimes of myself ("DAF") and a friend ("GAF") from 2001. Some other laptimes are on my A1200 but I can't access them for now
http://obligement.free.fr/jeux/xtremeracinglap.lha

Share your laptimes. :-)
Old 02 July 2022, 11:33   #8
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I bought this game having been hyped up by positive reviews. All I remember from playing it is trailing behind, fighting hard battles for 7th or 8th place in pure frustration.
Old 02 July 2022, 19:21   #9
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I don't recall issues with saving the lap times, it does sometimes take a while even on my TF330, same back in the day on my 1200 running it off HDD. Never tried it linked up, 8 player would be mad!
Sadly, as stated link-up serial only works with the original V1.0 and not with the Data Disk 'Upgrade'!?! Therefore, 8-player with two 4-player adapters for joystick control is impossible (though keyboard control should work) as that feature was only added with the Data Disks.

In practice though 4-player over serial link-up (2 on each machine) is the best compromise with screen real estate anyway IMHO! Plus I can get 1:1 pixel mode on my 060 machine and 2:1 on my 030 50Mhz machine by playing it in this manner (2 joystick/joypad players on each). You'd probably have to downgrade to 2:1 and 2:2 if playing it 4 player and that would look horrible!!

As I said the most annoying aspect is stopping to put in initials of a new laptime on the computer that the player wasn't even playing on in addition to the one he/she was!! Surely the information could be passed over the serial cable once the player in question has entered their initials? It's insane, and it often crashes a null-modem game at that point as well!!
Old 06 July 2022, 05:34   #10
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daff View Post
Here the laptimes of myself ("DAF") and a friend ("GAF") from 2001.

Share your laptimes. :-)
Ok, here they are. Merged with the laptimes file you provided I still have four entries in the high scores "WAR"

What's everyone's opinion on starting some kind of Xtreme Racing league?
I'm imagining every 28 days we compete for the fastest lap on a couple of specified tracks, and at the end of that period we arrange some kind of online multiplayer for the four winners, if that's possible (I believe it is, but I've never played with UAE's online functionality).
Attached Files
File Type: lha XTR_laps_20220706.lha (735 Bytes, 17 views)

Last edited by Anakirob; 06 July 2022 at 11:39.