Global Caturator

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Blade Runner - Enhanced Edition

Looks like they done fucked it up...

https://www.gog.com/en/game/blade_ru...hanced_edition
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...hanced_Edition

Remove from wishlist, don't buy, forget about it
Old 24 June 2022, 23:31   #2
dreadnought

Ouch, this really does look bad. As if they took a cheapest filter possible and just slapped it on. But then, I've never been a fan of neither Nightdive nor "enchanced" versions, so no love lost here.

I was actually playing the original some time ago first time since the old days, and got totally stuck in that bit where a guy is chained to a bomb and you shoot the chain, run out...and then the explosion kills me every time. Am I missing something here or is it just a really badly designed action sequence?
Old 25 June 2022, 10:49   #3
Seiya

the only vantages is that you not more need to swap 4 Cd-rom and run on modern OS. Of course i continue to keep my old 1997 version that it also full speech in my language.
Old 25 June 2022, 10:55   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

You can dump the original images and maybe they will work with 4 separate emulated drives, the GOG original version seems to work pretty fine, and apparently there's also good SCUMMVM compatibility: https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

Last edited by Shoonay; 25 June 2022 at 12:24.
Old 25 June 2022, 10:59   #5
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Yeah its a shame, they couldve done so much with it without too much work I feel. Stick to the original release.
Old 25 June 2022, 15:31   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

"Hello everyone,

The original Blade Runner, titled Blade Runner Classic, is now available to play with the Enhanced Edition."

That release certainly went swimmingly for Nightdive
Old 26 June 2022, 05:31   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's a shame, but I guess this was done by a B-team while the A-team is working on System Shock. Regardless of what some people just couldn't resist saying now that the first stinker has launched, Nightdive has delivered exceptional quality until now.

You can still get the ScummVM version on GOG which looks and plays just like the original. I might get this one on GOG anyway because I get it on the cheap... I'll have to look past the garish graphics filter and go primarily for improved controls.
Old 26 June 2022, 11:00   #8
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Now if they had done a really good CRT emulation, I might of considered it.
Old 26 June 2022, 13:55   #9
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It's a shame, but I guess this was done by a B-team while the A-team is working on System Shock.
Nice rationalization Here's an idea: why not finish SS first (been a while) and then do something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Regardless of what some people just couldn't resist saying now that the first stinker has launched, Nightdive has delivered exceptional quality until now.
Could be that "some people" perhaps don't see the need tp pay money of old rope, when it's often not only old but technically inadequate, and when the originals already had been fan-fixed and upgraded for years. Have they added bots/splitscreen in Forsaken yet? Fixed that microstutter in SS? Eh, Nightdive, you only had one job...

If you like what they doing it's fine, but talking about "execeptional quality" is going a bit overboard here.
Old 26 June 2022, 16:42   #10
Seiya

1997 version run great on ScummVM 2.1 ...
Old 26 June 2022, 22:00   #11
XPD
Geek Kiwi

I know they didnt have access to the original source code, but was so much they could have done.

(Wipes down original 97 release CDs)
Old 26 June 2022, 23:44   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Get the game on GOG, run it in ScummVM. NightDive did good and this time they didn't.
Old 27 June 2022, 10:14   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Nice rationalization Here's an idea: why not finish SS first (been a while) and then do something else?
An idea which does not work, they'll have grown enough that they have too many people to all have working on the same thing. I see it as the same way we got Dark Souls 2, a game which took a long time and a director's cut release to learn to love. The A-team was working on Bloodborne at the time.
Old 27 June 2022, 16:57   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Still have disk(s) version from 97 (I think it was 4 or 5 CDs), had no idea you can play it in ScummVM. Will have to test that...
Old 27 June 2022, 17:41   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

At least something positive came out of this thread then

This article sums it up pretty good: https://www.pcgamer.com/blade-runner...ot-a-remaster/

Last edited by TCD; 27 June 2022 at 19:20.
Old 28 June 2022, 11:09   #16
Torti-the-Smurf

I was shocked by this "Enhanced Edition"
How is this Enhanced ?

It dosent even have the German Voices ! (and the other languages) What the heck ?
Stupid me did zero research, because i did hold NightDive to a very high standart,
but i was very dissapointed with this release.

I really hope they fix all the Bugs and add the features that where available back then.
Until then, i play my original with ScummVM.

Pfff .. Enhanced ... - yeah , right
Old 28 June 2022, 14:48   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah this release doesn't bother me, just another bad "enhanced edition" that can safely be ignored.

What kind of miffs me is that it came from Nightdive. Normally these kind of blunders are the act of a quick cash grab, Nightdive until now has proven themselves to have old fashioned passion for what they do with releases to show for it.

But now I'm starting to compare Nightdive to US Gold. Here we have our first Tiertex release. I hope it is a one-off.
Old 28 June 2022, 15:31   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

For me it's jarring that this passed QA. Performance or compatibility issues can happen, but people have to be blind not to see the problems with this.