English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2013, 18:38   #1
SunChild
EAB Noobie

ANALOGUE Konix Speed King schematics?

I find myself eagerly looking for this, as a mean to help the developer improve the ONLY Atari>USB joystick adaptor currently supporting analogue joysticks (thx again to Dirkies for that link!), so this is as good a noble retro-computing cause as any (and not only my own selfish little interest for having my old analogue joystick to work under PC emulation! )

If anybody here has this schematics or know where to get it, please be so kind and share!
Old 27 April 2013, 18:42   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Analog stick (and mouse, digital joystick, paddle) connections are documented in Hardware Reference Manual's Interface Hardware chapter.
Old 27 April 2013, 19:12   #3
Jope
-

a joystick is so simple that you can draw its schematics yourself in no time.
Old 27 April 2013, 21:14   #4
SunChild
EAB Noobie

@Toni: loads of thanks (as always), you're my hero -- in the straightest fashion anyway !
The developer was in fact asking me for the particular schematics of an analogue Speed King. But I infer from your post that this would be irrelevant as the infos provided in the Manual are enough to either ensure that his adaptor is compatible with this particular analogue joystick, or to give him all the necessary data to mod it for that purpose. Am I correct?

Last edited by SunChild; 29 April 2013 at 14:04.
Old 27 April 2013, 21:15   #5
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
a joystick is so simple that you can draw its schematics yourself in no time.
Digital sticks electronics is dead simple of course (everything put to ground and basically that's it)...

That just as true for __ANALOGUE__ ones, you sure Jope?
(The fact that the developer himself asked me for the schematics of the analogue version of the Speed King makes me think that there's enough complexity involved that he can't figure it out on his own without it)

If you can accurately draw the schematics for an analogue Speed King yourself though, that'd be a huge help, thanks!
Old 30 April 2013, 06:32   #6
Jope
-

If it is a straight analogue stick with no weird mouse or digi stick emulation, then the potentiometers are hooked up to pot x and pot y on the joy ports.

Open it up and see. :-)
Old 30 April 2013, 11:25   #7
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Quote:
Open it up and see. :-)
Hehe, I sure would have (I've opened and checked the inside of all my retro-digital sticks), had it been anything but a Speed King. The one big flaw with the joystick design is that there's this big red and black sticker covering all the upper part of it and effectively sealing the 2 plastic sides of it so even when unscrewed, they're still kinda glued to each other by the sticker, and being a collectionneur as much as a retro-gamer, I wouldn't damage the sticker unless absolutely necessary you know. They did better with the Navigator (BEST digital joystick EVER!!!!!) by directly printing the decorative patterns and whatnot directly on plastic so no more sticker involved.
Plus, I've read somewhere I guy posting about having opened one and then having a hell of a time to reassemble it due to messy/inconvenient mechanical layout inside or sth...

In any case it's good to know that the electronics inside an analogue stick is not much different from a digital one and just as easy to grasp for me, which I get alright after checking the chapter in the Hardware Reference Manual that Toni pointed to. But in any case, the developer I contacted about an adaptor demanded more than just schematics, so in the end the Manual really was the proper source he needed (not that I doubted Toni knew what he was talking anyway )

(PS. What do you call "digi stick emulation" BTW? Like an analogue with an optional digital mode or sth? Never seen anything like it that I recall...)
Old 30 April 2013, 17:05   #8
Jope
-

Ah yeah, if it's like that then I'd be reluctant to take it apart too. :-)

Digi stick emulation as in variable autofire for the directions, with the stutter speed going up the further you turn the lever.
Old 30 April 2013, 19:51   #9
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Quote:
Digi stick emulation as in variable autofire for the directions, with the stutter speed going up the further you turn the lever.
I see. Well no there's nothing like that on the analogue Speed King as it doesn't feature an auto-fire at all (not really an issue when you use nowadays emulators anyway, and not surprisingly since I reckon it was targeted at Flight/Race Simulation gamers at the time -- people who mostly wouldn't give a shit about that kind of options).

On the other hand it has an additional button for center recalibration though, as well as an ON/OFF switch for automatic center return of the lead, which can be a very valuable, even a must-have function or not depending on what game you use it for.
I must say it is a beauty and I can't wait to be able to use it (never played any retro game -- Amiga or anything else -- with an analogue stick yet).