English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 19 March 2022, 12:29   #3901
PeterK

Thanks for your screenshot, which demonstrates the difference also for other users, who just might wonder what this "HalfBright" is good for.

I also would like to have a high quality glow-effect with a smooth alpha fading at the icon borders, but that is very difficult to achieve, would need a lot of extra code and could easily slow down icon loading significantly when it's done "on the fly" (no, I guess, it actually won't fly anymore, it would sneak more like a snail).

The reason for putting the "HalfBright" effect into separate versions and not making it optional as an alternative to the glow-effect is that I don't want to hold the code for both at the same time in the library, which is already getting too much bloated (> 32k).
Old 23 March 2022, 13:31   #3902
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Update to icon.library 46.4.562, 47.-1.562, 51.4.562, 1. page (no new HAM versions):
Working well under 3.2.1 for me, RTG screens using the latest P96 without issue so far - thanks
Old 23 March 2022, 15:31   #3903
PeterK

Thank you for your feedback, indigolemon!

As you already reported before, you didn't even have any problems with #561, but some users at A1k.org had some issues with instability (random freezes and crashes) by using the previous builds #559-#561. There was indeed a new bug since #559 in IconControlA(GetImageData2), which could have given some applications in some cases random data for a screen pointer, but this (broken) function will usually not be called by Workbench directly.

With this update to #562 and the included fixes these A1k.og users reported to have stable systems again.
Old 23 March 2022, 18:16   #3904
hexaae
Bug hunter

I could reproduce a strange palette change issue with Personal Paint + pio_icon plugin to save/load icons... where the screen could temporarily switch to a wrong RGB 256 color palette after saving icon to RAM:. Switching screen back and forth (LAMIGA+M or N) restored correct colors. Wasn't reproducible following same steps with original OS3.x icon.library. I'm using latest commercial P96.
Have to check if is still there.
Old 23 March 2022, 18:42   #3905
PeterK

I also found an issue with a suddenly corrupted chunky screen palette on DOpus5 when the Workbench was running in TrueColor on another screen at the same time. I've tried 10-14 days to fix this issue looking for bugs in my icon.library and in DOpus5. It did not happen with older libraries up to #369 or the OS libs. In some way it's caused by the delayed color mapping, which the OS never uses, but I've checked that all and finally it only seems to be triggered by SetRGB32() and ReleasePen() and not by my library code.

After I couldn't fix this palette issue completely by trying some workarounds (i.e. suppressed ReleasePen()) I finally tested some older P96 versions, and with rtg.libraries v39-v41 it did not happen at all. Under DOpus5 with chunky screens it only occurred with rtg.library v42 on a test system, but I don't own any newer P96 versions to find out what the last working rtg.library is. And of course, I'm not sure whether this problem is related to your Personal Paint issue? After iconifying and reopening the DOpus5 screen the palette was correct again (also after closing windows by icon menu "reset").

Update2: Now I could find a workaround for the corrupted palette on DOpus5: it seems that with newer rtg.libraries (v42) SetRGB32() has a problem if the screen for setting the new colors is not the ActiveScreen of intuition anymore, which was still working with older rtg.libraries. Forcing the color mapping to the ActiveScreen fixes most of these issues.

Please try out an older rtg.library up to v41.14.

Of course, I will check your Personal Paint problem, too. Thanks for reporting.

Update: I've loaded some ColorIcons on WB 3.9+3.1.4 with the plugin as brushes into PPaint 7.2.1.0, changed the palette to the brush colors and saved them to RAM:, which works as long as both images don't need more than 256 colors together. Otherwise the 2. images gets wrong colors as already stated in the plugin readme. PPaint can't handle two palettes parallel.

So, what else do I have to do with the loaded ColorIcons in order to reproduce that palette issue, because there were no corrupted colors yet? Or does it only happen with OS 3.2.x?

I used a TrueColor WB and started PPaint on its own 640x400 256-c chunky screen. Is that ok?

Last edited by PeterK; 28 March 2022 at 21:22.
Old 01 April 2022, 12:23   #3906
PeterK

#563 is out now on Aminet: (No updates for the HAM versions)

Aminet - util/libs/IconLib_46.4.lha
Old 01 April 2022, 18:49   #3907
hexaae
Bug hunter

Give me a few days and I'll try to make a video and repro steps on how to reproduce the palette corruption with PPaint 7.x + pio_icon
Old 01 April 2022, 19:59   #3908
PeterK

Ok, I give you 1001 days and nights ...
Old 02 April 2022, 08:12   #3909
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi Peter and thanks for the new version of icon.library.

I would like to ask you one more thing, thanks !

I've installed Scalos on AROS 68k, I'd say all is well, the Scalos version installed is native AROS 68k and is distributed in the AROS 68k contrib package.

The only problem is that my Dual-PNG icons look great but are not functional, the Disk and Folders icons do not open when clicked, if you convert them to project and then back to Folder or Disk icon they work. The Tool and Project icons don't work properly, they don't execute the Tooltype.

At this point I converted my Dual-PNG icons to OS4 icons with Pngicon2amiga, and magically everything works perfectly, even if the icons in the windows show the icons with a delay, it takes a few seconds.

The converted OS4 icons however seem to be different from those created natively on OS4, on AfA OS the OS4 icons created natively on OS4 are seen perfectly, while the converted icons are not seen, I see only the text.

I enclose a Dual-PNG icon converted to OS4 Icon (PowerIcons) and a screnshot of AROS Scalos 68k

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 May 2022 at 11:06.
Old 02 April 2022, 13:30   #3910
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The converted OS4 icons however seem to be different from those created natively on OS4, on AfA OS the OS4 icons created natively on OS4 are seen perfectly, while the converted icons are not seen, I see only the text.
Code:
PNGIcon2Amiga FROM/M/A,BACKUP/S,QUIET/S

FROM       - One or more files or file patterns to convert.
 BACKUP     - Save a copy of the original PNG icon file.
 QUIET      - Don't complain about files that could not be converted.
 KEEPPLANAR - Keep old 3.x planar data.

-  Added KEEPPLANAR switch which will keep the planar data for
   use on 3.x systems running the Afa patch. Without planar data
   the Afa patch fails and nothing will be displayed.
You can also use my icon.library on a the original Workbench, but without AfA_OS running, and call my options "ConvertPNGtoOS4" together with "FakeIconSizeForAfA" in order to let them appear on AfA_OS, too. Your icon has the "wrong" planar size for AfA. No, not really wrong, but AfA can't handle it correctly. With my options you will get small (faster) and correctly working icons, without big planar images.

I didn't test Scalos on Aros yet, but Scalos has it's own iconobject datatype system for decoding NewIcons, OS 3.5, OS4 and PNG icons.

PowerIcons is a patch for the OS icon.library written by Elena Novaretti to read, display and write PNG icons with one image only. It has nothing to do with OS4 icons, although there is also an OS4 plugin from Elena Novaretti and Massimo Tantignone for PNG icons, which were called PowerIcons in the past, too.
Old 02 April 2022, 17:30   #3911
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter the conversion of Dual-PNG icons with your utilities "ConvertPNGtoOS4" and "FakeIconSizeForAfA" work, AfA OS sees the icons but they are no longer of the same quality.

If you notice the screnshot after the conversion the glow is less qualitative and the icons have a white line outline, a sort of box.

Of course they look the same on all RTG systems, including AROS !

Old 02 April 2022, 18:30   #3912
PeterK

Hi Carlo, it works here and I can get a real OS4 TrueColor icon with soft alpha channel fading at the borders. Of course, you have to install zlib.library and should not use "ConvertTrueColor", which would create OS3.5 ColorIcons.

I've tested the result on Aros 68k with my icon.library and also with the Aros lib and your icon always shows a soft border.

The same on AfA_OS, but there I first had a new problem, because all OS 3.5 icons appeared with strange colored frames instead of frameless. Then I switched to an older rtg.library v41.14 and this issue was gone. It looks like another problem of the newer P96 versions, which already caused corrupted palettes in several tests with DOpus5. So I prefer to stay with older P96 v2 versions, since they work reliable for me, and I don't own the new versions which were on test systems from other users, so I can't send them a bug report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConvertPNGtoOS4_AfA_OS.png
Views:	56
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	75199   Click image for larger version

Name:	ConvertPNGtoOS4_Aros68k.png
Views:	56
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	75200  
Old 02 April 2022, 20:17   #3913
AMIGASYSTEM

zlib.library is installed, ConvertTrueColor is not used, for powericons i meant those of OS4, this request appears and forces me to convert to 3.5, how can I remove it? Am i wrong? Should i not save?

Old 02 April 2022, 21:24   #3914
PeterK

That requester should only appear if you have my icon.library version "68020" installed, or in any other case if the command "ConvertTrueColor" was executed (on TC020, LD020, HB020, FastWB, Aros, ArosHB or HAM). Or I must have done something wrong during compilation.

Or did you try to change the images with IconEdit or similar tools, which can only handle OS 3.5 ColorIcons? For IconEdit you will see that requester even with TC020, because it can not save in TrueColor.

What shows "Version icon.library FULL"?,
and what "Version Libs:icon.library FILE FULL"?
Old 02 April 2022, 22:16   #3915
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
That requester should only appear if you have my icon.library version "68020" installed?
You are right, sorry, in your new versions not having the name "TC020" anymore led me to mistake copying the wrong version, sorry again.

Now the converted icons are perfect and compatible with AfA OS.

It's about AROS 68k, you can find the most updated versions HERE
Old 08 April 2022, 00:44   #3916
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Ok, I give you 1001 days and nights ...
Here is my video:
[ Show youtube player ]

Following those exact steps I can 100% reproduce it after a reboot, but just once: if I retry won't happen again 'till next reboot.
Old 08 April 2022, 13:28   #3917
PeterK

Thanks for creating a video clip, but unfortunately I can't see any details on that youtube video, it's all just blurry. No, I don't have an account at youtube, nor do I want it.

Can you convert it into a normal AVI or MP4 and upload it into the zone? Or just tell me what to do in order to reproduce it, maybe with some cut-outs from screenshots.

Did you try the same with older rtg.library versions 39-41?
Old 08 April 2022, 14:30   #3918
hexaae
Bug hunter

You don't need an account: select the "gear icon" at the bottom-right and 1080p@60. Sometimes YT automatically selects the wrong basic 480p (or less) streaming.
Can I mix very old rtg.library with latest P96 commercial? Anyway I can say with 3.9's icon.library this is not reproducible.
Old 08 April 2022, 16:12   #3919
PeterK

Thanks for the hint to set the youtube resolution manually to FullHD with the gear icon, that fixed it. But demo videos with local settings set to English first are easier to understand. My Italian is not good!

I noticed that you are using the app-icon of PPaint to load the icon. I've tried that and first always got just "File does not exist" in PPaint. Then I created empty files for the test icons and that seems to work. It loads the icons as images (not as brushes) and all colors are correct. But as a PPaint beginner without any experience I'm probably just doing something wrong that let's it work (with all P96 versions) ... ? Of course, you can replace the rtg.library for tests, although I don't know whether it will help in this case.

I can also load icons as brushes from the PPaint menu (with another file requester, which allows to load #?.info), but then I have to change the color palette as a second step and load the palette of the brush to get correct colors (even with the OS iconlib).

Back to your problem: There is not enough info to reproduce it. I would need your PPaint_Prefs/ settings like the Startup_1.set and maybe other config files and also the MahjonggTiles icon. Which PPaint and OS version, which WB screen settings?

What exactly are you doing to load a brush (not an image) over the app-icon?
Old 09 April 2022, 03:15   #3920
hexaae
Bug hunter

You have to follow exactly my video step by step to reproduce the issue and it happens only after a reboot, on first attempt.

Video explained:
1. launch PPaint
2. open 'Load brush' PP-requester
3. double click on the right: ICON format (will open pio_ico prefs), and then Cancel
4. at this point, from WB, drag'n'drop a program with coloricon >=32colors on PPaint app-icon, this will automatically point to the correct path into previously open PPaint 'Load brush' requester
5. switch back to PPaint and just load the program (it has an .info of course that will be automatically loaded)

You'll see the screen palette gets altered (PPaint UI turns blue!) in the video after loading, and to restore the correct palette I can simply switch screens back and forth from usual Intuition depth screen gadget in the upper-right.
As far as I can remember I was able to reproduce it even on 3.2 + P96 + Freeware version of PPaint 7.x from Aminet + pio_ico....

Last edited by hexaae; 09 April 2022 at 10:10.