English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 March 2002, 23:19   #1
tassy

backing up amiga originals before they die

hello,
this may be a moot point and possibly i should not be asking this question,but does a software copier exist that will enable me to copy(backup) the following amiga original game disks,battle squadren,z out and leander.these games are on the verge of going mouldy and i want to save em whilst i can and the various x copys i have are not up to the job.seeing as i purchased these games i should be able to safeguard them,but copy protection of the time stops me doing this,now seeing as floppy disks are such a short lived and unsafe medium,i should have this right.
why not get em off the net you ask?,good question,the cracked battle squadren would not run full screen unless it was ran in 60hz(ntsc) and this stretched the sprites and lost the player approx 20% off the playing area bottom,whilst the original kept accurate dimensions at full screen(i assume the crack was a pre release or beta).z out saved scores whilst the crack would not(important if running on a real amiga as action replay carts would not freeze ths game).
i seem to remember an old software copier called hercules would actually copy battlesquadren,does anyone have it ?,it can be found on old compilation copy disks,but mine have gone mouldy!
thanks for listening,bye.

Old 10 March 2002, 23:52   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

You may want to take a look at this link:

C.A.P.S. - The Classic Amiga Preservation Society
Old 11 March 2002, 00:36   #3
tassy

re link

excellent link,this website is in line with my way of thinking and i urge people to have a look.
cheers again that man from the usa.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 11 March 2002, 13:27   #4
Djay
95th User

If you talking about Real Amiga, then get a hold off a Cyclone cartridge, you'll also need a second drive...

the original Cyclone cartridge, did not contain any chips, so you could find a circuit diagram and actually make one, back in the day i bought a Cyclone copy cart, and a m8, used mine to make his own one!!!
Old 06 April 2002, 05:54   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
You may want to take a look at this link:

C.A.P.S. - The Classic Amiga Preservation Society
CAPS doesnt allow downloads of non copyright ?
Old 10 April 2002, 21:11   #6
tassy

re cyclone cart

thanks for info,
i have considered the cyclone cart but i figured getting my mitts on one would be difficult(although i havent tried yet!),am i wrong?,could anyone build me one if i have trouble getting one?,name your price(within reason).
cheers

Old 10 April 2002, 23:02   #7
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
I would love to have a go at building one. I'm an electronics student myself so I would love to try it out. If anyone has one of these cartiridges and can draw the circuit diagram I'll ge my soldering iron out and start building it What software would it require to run?

Thanks
Old 10 April 2002, 23:03   #8
jmmijo

Exclamation CAPS!

C.A.P.S. is the way to go, check them out
Old 11 April 2002, 03:48   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Cyclone hardware copier schematics

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
If anyone has one of these cartiridges and can draw the circuit diagram I'll ge my soldering iron out and start building it What software would it require to run?
Schematics are in the Zone. The software it needs to run is Cyclone :-) It was included in the X-Copy suite disk I uploaded to the Zone recently. I'll re-upload it if you need it. IIRC the hardware can also be used with the version of X-Copy that had Cyclone support. I think that was on the same disk.

Let us know how you go with building the Cyclone adaptor. I only downloaded these schematics last week, but haven't got around to having a go at it myself yet.
Old 11 April 2002, 15:14   #10
fiath

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
CAPS doesnt allow downloads of non copyright ?
If you mean by that we do not allow downloads of copyrighted games?

That is right. We are providing the technology - not the downloads. Where do you get your Amiga games from, TOSEC? And your WHDLoad installs?

Basically - CAPS is similar - the dumps will be "available" - but you will not be able to get them from us.
Old 11 April 2002, 15:24   #11
fiath

Thanks for the plugs guys... :)

Quote:
Originally posted by tassy
thanks for info,
i have considered the cyclone cart but i figured getting my mitts on one would be difficult(although i havent tried yet!),am i wrong?,could anyone build me one if i have trouble getting one?,name your price(within reason).
cheers
Cyclone (& similar):
Yes, you can use Cyclone to back up your disks - and there are *very few* games that will not copy using this hardware. As people have said - it is not hard to make the dongle (a few wires switched).

However:
AFAIK Cyclone will not back up the backups that it produces (a security mechanism). What do you do then? Another thing - Cyclone and similar solutions do not (as people may lead you to believe) copy the disks without making subtle changes to the content.

Also, how do you know if the disk you backed up did not already have errors on it?

CAPS Images:
The disk images produced by CAPS are 100% perfect representations of the original. Since they can be distributed over the net - they are also in a perpetual form, unlike floppy disks.

So far we have dumped 100% of the nearly 1000 original game disks that have been dumped so far. Well... apart from the disks that had errors on them obviously - these errors were "preserved" perfectly too.

Intense analysation is applied to make sure there are no errors or modifications were made to the disk after the original mastering (see the WIP pages for more information on how this is done).

When the mastering tools are completed - you will also be able to write most images back to disk again and no CAPS images will be released to the public until these tools are done - so people can start fixing their already broken originals as soon as we do start.

It should not be too long until the first load of images are released. But you can help now by increasing the library of original games currently waiting to be reverse-engineered (and then released).

If you are interested, please email:

contributions@caps-project.org

</ad>

Last edited by fiath; 11 April 2002 at 15:41.
Old 11 April 2002, 20:01   #12
Andrew

Hi, thanks for the schmatics. Having problems viewing them in Win98. What should i use to view them?

Thanks
-Andrew
Old 11 April 2002, 20:10   #13
Andrew

Its ok, sorted out the problem. Thanks
Old 11 April 2002, 20:31   #14
Andrew

Had a look at the schematics. Is that all you need to do to make it work?

I was thinking of having a small project box with a 23W D-Type socket and plug, on either end so it can be easily removed. All wiring done between the plug and socket so the original wiring of the amiga is not messed with.

I have just had a look through my Maplins catalogue and 23W D-Type plugs and sockets are not sold. Not sure where i would be abl to get them from. Any one got any ideas?
Old 11 April 2002, 20:50   #15
jmmijo

Not sure if any of these sources will help you out but it's a start

http://wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/sources.html
Old 12 April 2002, 01:27   #16
Andrew

Thanks. Yes I've found somewhere thats sells both 23W Plug and socket. I'll order them and get making Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 29 July 2002, 00:32   #17
miggy

Any chance of re-uploading the schematics to the zone please? I would be interested in seeing them.
Thanks

Old 29 July 2002, 01:39   #18
Amiga1992

I'd like to see those as well!