English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 January 2007, 16:03   #1
j3st3r

Question problems installing a game to a hard drive

Hello all!

I've used WinUAE for years.. well at least played some games from time to time, but only recently familiarized with the hard drive emulation (got bored playing those adventure games with dozens of disk images).

I've used windows directories as amiga hard drives, since it's supposed to be much better to use, as they can grow as large as you need them to and you can copy files to and from them directly.

I've only installed couple of games (all succesfully). When I try to install Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep, the installer claims that there's not enough room to install the game.

I'm looking for a simple solution, nothing drastical for this dilemma.

PS. I've allready tried to search the forums for the solution to no avail. Also I do apologize if this is in wrong forum.

Last edited by j3st3r; 25 January 2007 at 16:09.

Old 25 January 2007, 16:18   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I suppose it depends whether the install makes any assigns or not. If it doesn't you could just create an hdf (say a 8 or so MB - or at least enough to just cover the size of the game) then copy the contents of the hdf to your Games dir.

If it does make some assigns or alters the startup-sequence in any way then they may need adjusting.

You could always use WHDLoad which would solve this problem completely.
Old 25 January 2007, 16:18   #3
k2uphill

yes you may fined that installing some game in you Workbench Environment fails and cliam not enough room if you are installing a game to a Windows folder that you have setup in WinUAE . it may be a good idea to try to install to a new blank mounted HDF with in conjuction to your Workbench Environment.

Old 25 January 2007, 16:19   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I have this installed on a HDF file and it works perfectly. Maybe you should try to make your own HDF version and installing it to that.

Make your HDF file about 7 or 8Mb in size. You should just be able to click on the installer and tell it in which directory to install the game. Maybe try increasing the amount of Fast RAM in WinUAE.

Here is the official installation notes:

http://hol.abime.net/444/miscshot
Old 25 January 2007, 17:59   #5
j3st3r

Thumbs up Problem Solved

Thanks for the quick replies!

Created hdf for the DM2 and after the installation, copied the content to the game folder. Had some headscratching since I didn't realise at first that you have to format the hardfile in WB before you can actually use it.

Old 25 January 2007, 18:00   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Nice, glad you got it sorted