English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 03 December 2018, 10:35   #1
Overmann

"SERIOUS ERROR" message from PFS3

WHen I'm trying to boot i get a disconcerning message from PFS3. It pops up before workbench loads. This came out of nowhere. I have not changed the setup in any way. I have absolutely no luck getting a stable working A1200-setup these days
PICTURE

I've not managed to progress to workbench. After the message above I get a message saying:
"TD32 and Direct SCSI access modes failed!
Can't read block 6114674 (<4G)
1230scsi.device:0"

Followed by:
"No disk present in device DH0"

"Retrying" just brings the massage back up, "canceling" brings me to a blank "AmigaDOS"-screen.

Now all of a sudden it won't boot at all with the HD's connected. I just get a black screen.
I have two scsi disks connected to my Blizzard 1260. I think this is a problem with the second disk and not the boot disk, as disconnecting the second disks boot's me into wb no problem. Does anyone know what is happening and how I can work this out?

Last edited by Overmann; 03 December 2018 at 10:52.
Old 03 December 2018, 17:43   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If PFS3 fails to do any size validations (drive returns error), it refuses to mount the partition (=not a dos disk. No disk in drive probably means hardware problem and driver also "lost" the disk). Boot can still continue normally if problem is with non-boot drive/partitions.

I guess most likely reason is marginal power supply if you only get black screen/errors when both drives are connected.
Old 05 December 2018, 11:17   #3
Overmann

Both HDD's are connected to the PSU, I just unplugged one from the SCSI-controller.
This setup was working fine a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine when I unplug the second HDD. COuld it have just died quietly at some point, and is now preventing a boot due to some failure?
Old 05 December 2018, 19:50   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I just unplugged one from the SCSI-controller.

and it works fine when I unplug the second HDD.
Maybe the first HDD is required for SCSI bus termination?

"unexpected phase change" indicates a problem with the SCSI bus, in most cases termination-related.