English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 July 2002, 22:02   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Hooooo Old 'Gaming' Myths and Legends

I once heard a long time ago that the reason games have cheats in them is because back in the 8-bit days, a couple of software houses were guilty of deliberatly making their games impossible to get past a certain level. The reason for this was so they didnt have to create the entire game and could release it sooner :hoo
I was told that this shady practise was eventually discovered and the result was that games had cheats put into them so they could be checked in advance for this dodgy practise. I have no idea if this is just a made up story that was told to me or if it is actually true. Id be interested if anyone else has heard this.

Also
If you have any gaming myths and legends of your own....lets hear em
Old 07 July 2002, 22:36   #2
jmmijo

It does have that Urban Legend feel to it, however, corporate business practices makes this sound very plausible as well :hoo
Old 07 July 2002, 22:52   #3
Djay
95th User

i always thought, that testers could fully test the games using unlimited lives etc...., some companies just left the cheats in and then because they came popular, the cheats evolved into actual extensions to the game itself... extra features like wobbly cars etc...

but i prefer Dastardly's theory
Old 08 July 2002, 18:12   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

hmmmm

They were used primarily for playtesting and to enable magazine reviewers to playtest a games later levels for screenshots etc, invariably it was more effort that it was worth to remove the cheats, so they stayed, and became a habit.
Old 31 July 2002, 21:26   #5
cv643d

Here is another myth, wittnessed by myself:
After the trainride in Final Fight arcade, you fight in some kind of underground where there are pipes on the wall and barrels are rolling. The pipes on the walls are leaking water in small drops, the rumors in the arcades - no matter if it where in Sweden or Turkey- was that the drops that leaked were dangerous. But it wasnt. Kinda cool that a rumour spread all over europe.
Old 01 August 2002, 05:31   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I know a few legends that were popular here in Brazil

When MK II was released in arcades here, everyone was talking that there was a secret character that would appear if you had 99 wins.

With MK I, there was the legend that Johnny Cage could throw 3 heads away from his enemy. Of course, this is NO legend, it actually can be done, but as only a few people had seen that, it was considered a legend.

There was one in Cadillac & Dinosaurs, in the elevator stage, if you jump to close of the edge, your character will be locked in the border of the screen, and you'll have to wait the time runs out to continue. Never saw this happening, but a friend says he did that in the emulator (Maybe he was the one who started the rumour after all )
Old 01 August 2002, 07:29   #7
Miggy2TheMax

Arcade rumor about SF. A rumor was going around and was published by a games mag (with screenshots!) that if you beat every opponent "perfect" then in the end you get to fight ryu's dad.
I think in the end it was found to be pure BS .. I wonder how many poor souls out there actually tried to beat every opponent perfect...
Old 01 August 2002, 08:15   #8
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Here's a true one!

The Atari Jaguar game Evolution: Dino Dudes contains a subliminal message, evidently designed to make players buy more games!

I found this out myself. One of your characters is a wizard. When you make the wizard work his magic, he starts a chant. Recorded and played back in reverse, what he's repeating over and over is, "Buy another Jaguar cart!"

I never did :hoo
Old 02 August 2002, 05:54   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I remeber that thing about Ryu's dad... his name is Sheng Long, if I am not mistaken.... this rumour existed here too..

When Super Street Fighter II Turbo came out, people said Akuma was him...
Old 02 August 2002, 06:46   #10
Amiga1992

I think Sheng Long's just a japanese legend, so that's a load of bollocks!
Old 02 August 2002, 08:05   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Sheng Long is a chinese name.
Old 02 August 2002, 08:18   #12
Amiga1992

YEAH frederica, I got that wrong alrightey
Old 03 August 2002, 00:10   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Sheng Long is a chinese name.
Is it like Long Shlong? The girls tend to call me that
Old 03 August 2002, 00:14   #14
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly

Is it like Long Shlong? The girls tend to call me that
Old 03 August 2002, 07:31   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

hey! Ryu actually says the name "Sheng Long" in one of his winning speech! (In that screen that shows the defeated guy with the face beated'up)

I even played Street Fighter II turbo on Snes now, but he didn't said it.. I think he doesn't have this saying on this version... or maybe I am getting crazy...
Old 03 August 2002, 08:04   #16
Amiga1992

I know! But I think he is referring to the old legend and NOT to his father!

he says it in the SNES version, AFAIK
Old 03 August 2002, 15:51   #17
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Sheng Long has never appeared in any SF game AFAIK.
Old 03 August 2002, 16:30   #18
Bloodwych

I fooled all my friends by making up the myth that if you saved the princess in Defender of the Crown you'd get to view some explicit love scenes.

During these scenes, you'd have to assist your character in the art of love making by guiding his third leg home.

I described the playability as being the same as the jousting scenes, except the lance and shield were replaced by, well you get the idea! It was tricky stuff, thrusting forward at speed and trying to hit the spot. Hitting the mouse button too early also resulted in premature release.

If you failed, the princess would reject your charms and order you away!

This was when my friends were all at the gullible age 13 and craving anything sexual! I had them playing Defender of the Crown for ages while I pissed myself laughing at their stupidity!
Old 03 August 2002, 18:47   #19
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy2TheMax
Arcade rumor about SF. A rumor was going around and was published by a games mag (with screenshots!) that if you beat every opponent "perfect" then in the end you get to fight ryu's dad.
I think in the end it was found to be pure BS .. I wonder how many poor souls out there actually tried to beat every opponent perfect...
Haha... I actually heard of that rumour here in Sweden
If you beat the game with a perfect score, the other competitiors will stand in the background and cheer you I thing
Old 04 August 2002, 08:37   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, it's not gaming, but a friend of mine and I convinced another friend that the (then) latest version of Directory Opus, when installing to hard drive, played a sound sample with a female voice that said "Welcome to Opus ... Directory Opus", only the word Opus was pronounced O-poo; then we always referred to the program as Directory Opoo. That was pretty mean of us.