English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 19 April 2006, 14:53   #1
Tim Janssen

Arrow S.u.b.

Towards the end of '93 Thalamus released the game S.U.B., a strange space/strategy hybrid.
Almost every major magazine (Amiga Format, Amiga Joker, Amiga Power, CU Amiga et cetera) reviewed it, so it was probably released. However, until this day I have never seen the game on a real Amiga or emulator. Does anyone know what happened to it and where it can eventually be downloaded from?
Old 19 April 2006, 15:00   #2
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Mmm. Yes, I too was interested in the possibility that this game might exist...It is registered as MIA by HOL: http://hol.abime.net/2163
Oh, well it may turn up some day...just like the fabulous Snow Bros!
Old 19 April 2006, 15:13   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's another one for Amiga Games That Weren't, unfortunately...
Old 20 April 2006, 09:30   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well, any evidence this game was unreleased would be good, too.
Old 21 May 2006, 23:05   #5
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

This game was reviewed in Amiga Power magazine issue 33 (Rated 62%). It was an underwater strategy game set in the aftermath of an apocalyptic disaster. Thalamus sent AP an evaluation copy, question is: did the game ever reach the game shelves?
Old 22 May 2006, 08:27   #6
Tim Janssen

OK, here is a possible explanation: I think Thalamus really messed up the distribution of their games. Around the same time (end '93) two other Thalamus games, Summercamp and Wintercamp, were distributed at a budget price by Kompart in the UK and Germany.
The games did not get much coverage in the press - I can only recall Amiga Joker giving it a bit of attention in their budget section in February 1994. Probably they were not massively retailed otherwise I would have obtained a crack of these games back in those days.

I think this is the case with S.U.B.: Bad distribution meaning we have lost the game in the mists of time. It is interesting to find out whether it was also distributed by Kompart.
Old 22 May 2006, 19:37   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Janssen
OK, here is a possible explanation: I think Thalamus really messed up the distribution of their games. Around the same time (end '93) two other Thalamus games, Summercamp and Wintercamp, were distributed at a budget price by Kompart in the UK and Germany.
The games did not get much coverage in the press - I can only recall Amiga Joker giving it a bit of attention in their budget section in February 1994. Probably they were not massively retailed otherwise I would have obtained a crack of these games back in those days.

I think this is the case with S.U.B.: Bad distribution meaning we have lost the game in the mists of time. It is interesting to find out whether it was also distributed by Kompart.
I doubt this game was ever released (along with Arsenal FC, Beastmaster, Delta Patrol and a couple of others) because in 1993 Thalamus Europe went into receivership. The release of Summer Camp and Winter Camp, which were licensed out to German publisher, Black Legend (and distributed by Kompart in the UK) were probably last ditch efforts to avoid insolvency. C64 game Nobby the Aardvark, which was the last game that Thalamus released on any platform, was probably another Amiga casualty that was finished and reviewed but never released.

Last edited by DrBong; 22 May 2006 at 20:14.
Old 17 October 2006, 00:23   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

I have now given 5 stars. (Not found and/or not released BUT reviewed, multiple times that is)
Old 18 October 2006, 15:47   #9
Captain_ Kal

Can we find any of the reviews?
Old 13 July 2007, 19:50   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
Towards the end of '93 Thalamus released the game S.U.B., a strange space/strategy hybrid.

Almost every major magazine (Amiga Format, Amiga Joker, Amiga Power, CU Amiga etc) reviewed it. However, until this day I have never seen the game on a real Amiga or emulator. Does anyone know what happened to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Mmm. Yes, I too was interested in the possibility that this game might exist...It is registered as MIA by HOL

It's been pretty much established in this thread that S.U.B. was never released despite being reviewed in several magazines. The game was almost certainly a casualty of Thalamus going into receivership.

Very few people have ever seen any Amiga screenshots of this game......me included until recently. For those who don't know much about the game, S.U.B. is probably best described as an underwater version of Elite.

Well, ladies & gents, I've managed again to unearth from dusty archives and mouldy, moth-eaten records (blah! blah! blah! waffle!) a few Amiga pics of S.U.B. (Strategic Underwater Battles). Check them out for yourself!

http://hol.abime.net/2163 (Main entry including DBS)

http://hol.abime.net/2163/screenshot (Screenshots)

http://hol.abime.net/2163/review (Reviews/previews in AMR)

Last edited by DrBong; 13 July 2007 at 20:09.
Old 14 July 2007, 21:35   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Good work mate!

I "fixed" the credits by swapping first and last names with the people involved with the game! András, Zoltán and Karóly are first names, and usually these are preceded by the last names in Hungary! (they'd also speak of Bartók Béla)
Old 15 July 2007, 17:26   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
I "fixed" the credits by swapping first and last names with the people involved with the game! András, Zoltán and Karóly are first names, and usually these are preceded by the last names in Hungary! (they'd also speak of Bartók Béla)
Arghhh! I know that Hungarians do that with their names. If that's their custom, then we should respect it. Moreover, the fact that they referred to themselves this way in their own demos means that HOL should spell their names the same way that they do, surely??!!

http://plus4.emucamp.com/software/The_Last_Demo_23C

Not that it's as important, but an Amiga Power review also lists their names that way:

http://amr.abime.net/review_2914

There's no real choice but to change the credits back to the way they were.

As an aside, Google, Yahoo etc. won't bring up any relevant search results with the way you've ordered the names, which means that their HOL credits will be missed if anyone (Hungarian or not) searches for them. You should know I'm very thorough in researching this stuff for HOL!

Last edited by DrBong; 15 July 2007 at 17:44.
Old 15 July 2007, 23:10   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

[edit] I will reply in the private team forum because there are more than one vote against this madness you proposed

Last edited by andreas; 15 July 2007 at 23:19.
Old 16 July 2007, 06:11   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

OK Andreas............I think we should reverse your name too. Hereon, I decree that your name is Saerdna!! It sounds kinda satanic, doesn't it??!!

Taken to the secret wood-cutter's forum so we don't hijack Tim's thread.....

Last edited by DrBong; 16 July 2007 at 15:57.
Old 22 July 2007, 17:40   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
It's another one for Amiga Games That Weren't, unfortunately...
Are you planning an aGTW entry for S.U.B. at some stage Adrian? Goes without saying.....you and Nico can help yourselves to any screenshots or info. I dig up on unreleased games for HOL.
Old 22 July 2007, 17:53   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yes, I'm actually in the process of redoing the site so there won't be any further updates until then.
Old 23 July 2007, 18:01   #17
DamienD
Banned

Thread moved here from the "req.Old Rare Games" section