English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 February 2006, 13:42   #121
adamst85

Witnessed:

Prehistorik - good, Swiv - very good, Wrath of Demon - shocked!!

Played:

Toki - superb!, Gods - superb!, Hudson Hawk - good!
Old 15 February 2006, 19:01   #122
hal
where am i ?

joan of arc
Old 16 February 2006, 19:08   #123
RaGe

Saw Shadow of the Beast on a mates Amiga which then led me to go on and buy my own an Amiga 500+ bit of a late starter.

Old 16 February 2006, 20:18   #124
Bloodwych

My Goodness!!!!

Who digged this old thread up! This is one of the very first threads I posted on EAB!!! I even used a different "Guest" username "spirits247" because I'd temporarily forgotten my password for Bloodwych which I'd registered a month earlier!

Great work by the search guru who pulled this relic from extinction!

Oh well, good to see it's still popular some 5 years later.....
Old 17 February 2006, 00:03   #125
amethyst

First game I witnessed on an Amiga was Bubble Bobble. That game was great fun in 2 player mode.
Old 21 February 2006, 23:18   #126
wanderer
I want an A1000

One on One basketball from Electronic Arts. Just brilliant, up to this day. Drooling over those lucky bastards who were playing. No luck for the one using a joystick. Along with DOTCrown, this was my first Amiga game. And it was Cinemaware again with Sinbad and the King of Chicago that started it all for me and Amiga gaming...
Old 21 February 2006, 23:47   #127
mattyjim
Zone Friend

The first ever game I played on my Amiga was 'Shadow of the Beast 2', which arrived with the 'Screengems' pack.

Still never played another game that made a bigger first impression on me than that one did; it was just so atmospheric (although I was, admittedly, only twelve at the time).
Old 24 February 2006, 23:12   #128
blackdiamond

First game witnessed: Indiana Jones 3. It was impressing because I was playing it at home on my CGA gfx-Card on my PC (1991) and that looked soo lame compared to A500 gfx.

First game on my amiga was Bubble Bobble.

Old 25 February 2006, 11:50   #129
blade002
Zone Friend

I was in process of saving up for an Atari ST when a friend of mine upgraded from his Commodore 64 to an Amiga 500. I always knew the Amiga was better, but i never really knew how much better until i got on my bike and rode to his house to check it out.

The game he booted up was FA/18 Interceptor. The first thing i heard was the Title Music which blew me away!. Sure it wasnt exactly an epic soundtrack, but the clarity of the sound and samples just sounded great, and i loved that style of moody music anyway.

Next came the game itself!. Let me just say that i left his house that day with my Jaw dragging on the ground all the way back home!. All that money i was now saving went towards an Amiga and not an Atari ST. Just before i bought my Amiga, he showed me one more new game that he had bought, which was the Ubisoft game "Unreal". that just sealed it for me and within about 2 weeks after that, i bought my first Amiga!.

I never looked back!. Its the BEST thing i have EVER purchased! even to this day at the age of 32 ( Almost ), i have yet to buy anything that was as great as the Amiga.
Old 27 February 2006, 13:22   #130
J.O.E

For me it was "Marble Madness" in a computer store in early 1987. I nearly fell on my bum, haha. Having still had a C64 at home I was mesmerized by the ammount of colors and the resolution. From that moment one my whole life focussed on only one thing: getting one of those computers into my fingers!

Old 27 February 2006, 16:35   #131
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster
I will never forget when the A500 had just came out and the Atari ST was still fairly new! This shop called "The Games Cupboard" had the a500 and atari st side-by-side...
That wouldn't happen to be in Exeter would it ? I used to go there all the time as a young'un....
Old 28 February 2006, 09:17   #132
vroom6sri

Insanity Fight and Fire & Forget. Made me appreciate the clever games on my C64 though like Creatures & the Turricans!
Old 04 March 2006, 23:24   #133
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
some Aegis Sonix demo, with "You're the voice" demo... that was enough...
Don't suppose you still have this? As I used to have it and am trying to rebuild the collection :-)
Old 08 March 2006, 09:51   #134
Wingnut

First game I ever saw was Silkworm on my uncles upgraded Amiga 500. Was only a matter of time after that until I bugged my parents into getting me my own...
Old 09 March 2006, 12:49   #135
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Alcatraz & Turrican

First one shitty, second one great compared to C64 version.

I still remember great feeling first time I played Wing Commander & Flashback. Those scenes were superb at the time.
Old 11 March 2006, 06:46   #136
stevel317

For me it was Defender of the Crown. Actually let me back up. The Juggler demo had me hooked. I used to sell Amigas and software back in the late 80's early 90's in Seattle, WA. The graphics blew away the PC games at the time. Unfortunatley, the PC had major support behind it and the Amiga did not. On a side note, I just finished playing Half Life 2 tonight on my souped up PC and for me it left me empty. I always had a blast with my Amiga and the games. I now am starting to use ADF files and emulation. I am still extremley happy playing Rouge and Nuclear War ADF files once I figured WinUAE out. My son loves Nicky Boom.
I have a 500 and a 1000 and over 1000 games sitting in my basement. I keep checking E-Bay for a U.S. 1200 but I always seem to miss out.

Old 20 March 2006, 11:43   #137
k38fmc

Overlander turned me!

POW, but i remember seeing a game called Overlander in a magazine which showd the first screen shot rivalry between the ST and Amiga. Up till then I was with the rest of my class at school on getting an ST. Nobody knew much about the amiga but after seeing that mag in Manchester airport when I was 13, I knew I had to have the better machine. All of my mates turned against me tho... however a year or so later other people started to go for the amiga, so i was vindicated! hehe ahhhhh great memories.
PS anyone remember a demo or intro that had a female android standing on a skyscaper in the foregound with an industrial background, and a nice piece of chilled out music playing????
Old 21 March 2006, 00:19   #138
crocked

Pretty sure it was batman the movie.. Very good tie in at the time to be fair. Graphics were great at the time (had a speccy myself). Probably second game was new zealand story... Bought the batman pack with Fusion and Marble Madness thrown in.. Still love marble madness even after all these years..
Old 23 March 2006, 13:49   #139
slideyfoot
Artemis BJJ

Barbarian, I think, some time during the late 80s. I didn't own an Amiga myself until several years later (I was on a Spectrum +3 at the time), but I saw Barbarian at an Amiga-owning friend's house.
Old 23 March 2006, 16:10   #140
scifi
Resurrected...

Thumbs up Mine too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
One on One basketball from Electronic Arts. Just brilliant, up to this day. Drooling over those lucky bastards who were playing. No luck for the one using a joystick. Along with DOTCrown, this was my first Amiga game. And it was Cinemaware again with Sinbad and the King of Chicago that started it all for me and Amiga gaming...
When I bought my Amiga500 I obtained two games as my first contact with this incredible machine... One on One basketball, cause I've already played it on my best friend's Commodore128D and Mission Elevator.

I remember that I played One on One with the original Amiga mouse (yes, the one with the short and thick connecting cable), not a joystick because I haven't bought one. Incredible playability, faster than light...
Dr.J shoots the ball and is already under the basket to smass it in the face of Larry Bird.

I had to wait till Monday to buy a joystick in order to hear the scream of the agent in Mission Elevator. Ah, unforgettable moments!