English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2021, 10:15   #41
rabidgerry

Ok I noticed it is laggy between loading pages, no idea why.

I got told off once for not following protocol, so that was my fault, I didn't take it to heart, I do wonder how many times I would be allowed to make errors and what might happen to my account. I had declared interest in something with the seller as opposed to doing it on the thread first. What can I say I was just eager. But I totally understand the strictness.

I was able to make account fine, Amiga.org on the other hand? Nope registered and no one on the admin side authorized it. I tried a whole pile of times as well and it keeps telling me my email has already been registered.

Prices, yeah I don't find it any/much cheaper than ebay. I got a 060 CPU not long ago of ebay and it was probably a little cheaper than people are selling them for on amibay. What can you do???
Old 14 February 2021, 02:39   #42
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardine View Post

99% of the time the reply is "oh sorry i forgot" but the 1% throw their toys out of the pram.
You seem to have a habit of saying the above to people, you PM me saying the same just before I left I thought it was hilarious how you come in the sale with attitude because I made a mistake and PM me with the above silly quote several times also you removed my reply from the thread because you said it made you look bad.

So I decide to ask for a ban.

The trouble with you sardine is you was moderating 24/7 and you become a horrible ****.

I admit I did over react a little but not use to some one talking to me like that on a forum.

I did ask to come back but was not to be.

Last edited by freehand; 14 February 2021 at 03:46.
Old 14 February 2021, 07:08   #43
cloverskull

Yeah, I can’t say I’m super thrilled about the AmiBay mods who chimed in over here basically refusing to respond to any of the claims of overmoderation and over-the-top rules. It’s actually a fairly sanctimonious position and attitude. I understand none of you are paid for this; great, then just say “we don’t get paid for this, screw you.” Don’t wrap it up by saying “the 1% throw the toys out of the pram”.

I’ve seen fewer and fewer things of interest for sale on AmiBay and I have to assume the reasons I cited in the original post are likely why. Who wants to participate in someone’s silly fiefdom, regardless of how well intentioned said fiefdom is?

Maybe take a step back and say “hmm, yeah, maybe some of these disgruntled folks have a point”.

I mean, hell, this post resulted in AmiBay getting SSL, so criticism is valuable.
Old 15 February 2021, 02:40   #44
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
I mean, hell, this post resulted in AmiBay getting SSL, so criticism is valuable.
HTTPS has been on the cards for a while and has been waiting for the DEV to set it up which he now has.

@ALL

Most Mods on any forum will tell you that it's not a thankful job and we are seen as the bad boys when all we are doing is making sure the rules are followed.

Which are there for the protection of all the members.

My PM box is always open on here and on AmiBay for anybody that believes they've been wronged.

For those of you that have given praise - thank you.

At least on AmiBay you don't face a ban when you use tapatalk signatures Apologies to the Mods I couldn't resist that last statement
Old 15 February 2021, 08:09   #45
cloverskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
At least on AmiBay you don't face a ban when you use tapatalk signatures Apologies to the Mods I couldn't resist that last statement
Ah, when a fiefdom is controlled by a 13 year old. I love this comment directly following sardine basically claiming people that don’t like to take criticism from mods behave (more or less) like children by taking their toys and running elsewhere. Nice. Very classy, davideo. Enjoy your shitty forum. Next time just doxx someone you disagree with, if you want to be immature.
Old 15 February 2021, 08:16   #46
cloverskull

Quick follow up - may as well @ALL here as well - my username here is different from the one that was on AmiBay.

This means that the obscure insult davideo threw at me is evidence that mods between AmiBay and EAB share user details without our consent. I’d appreciate an explanation, here. This is unethical and I’m pretty sure violates GDPR.

Edit - eh, it’s probably pretty simple. My old AmiBay handle was the old one I used here. Oh well. Still a pretty low blow from a mod that doesn’t know how to take criticism. Aren’t you the treasurer? Maybe you should figure out how to get your forum hosted on a server from the 21st century. Good luck.

Last edited by cloverskull; 15 February 2021 at 17:35.
Old 15 February 2021, 14:26   #47
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
This means that the obscure insult davideo threw at me is evidence that mods between AmiBay and EAB share user details without our consent. I’d appreciate an explanation, here. This is unethical and I’m pretty sure violates GDPR.
What the hell are you talking about???

As a former GMod of EAB for over 8 years I can tell you that no member data / information is shared with any other site...

Quote:
Most Mods on any forum will tell you that it's not a thankful job and we are seen as the bad boys when all we are doing is making sure the rules are followed.

Which are there for the protection of all the members.
I can definitely agree with that.
Old 15 February 2021, 17:35   #48
cloverskull

Yep, my bad, revised in my next message. I'll revise that to clarify
Old 15 February 2021, 19:44   #49
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Quick follow up - may as well @ALL here as well - my username here is different from the one that was on AmiBay.

My old AmiBay handle was the old one I used here.
It doesn't take a scientist to work out that you asked for your account on AmiBay to be closed and then on the same day created this thread.

As DamienD has stated no information has been shared between the two forums and no I didn't look up your previous forumname either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
As a former GMod of EAB for over 8 years I can tell you that no member data / information is shared with any other site...
Old 15 February 2021, 20:04   #50
cloverskull

Quote:
It doesn't take a scientist to work out that you asked for your account on AmiBay to be closed and then on the same day created this thread.
That has nothing to do with the tapatalk thing that you mentioned. That was a very childish way to deflect taking any reasonable criticism, and if you read through this entire thread, I'm not the only person who thinks some criticism is due.

Maybe try acting like an adult.

I mean, hell, I'll give you (as an example) the benefit of the doubt that SSL was on your roadmap. I find it interesting that the catalyst was a ranty thread after a user (me) took to the internet to voice frustrations on another platform. I guess you could have done it any time but instead of jumping on a thread where multiple people pile on concerns of how things are being handled there, you continue to try to throw me personally under the bus without owning up to any of your shortcomings specifically, then say "Oh we were going to do this anyway". What a joke.
Old 15 February 2021, 20:16   #51
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
I mean, hell, I'll give you (as an example) the benefit of the doubt that SSL was on your roadmap.
A new server/hosting system is also being looked in to and has been for a few months.

Unfortunately, as we rely totally on donations things can only happed when money allows.

So hopefully in the near future the speed issue will be sorted.
Old 15 February 2021, 20:21   #52
cloverskull

Following up, if I'm way off base here let me know and I'll walk these comments back. Just seemed like a low blow (and I do think there could be an adjustment on how best to take criticism, alas...).

Some things I could do better:
- Don't use such abrasive titles; I could have easily conveyed what I intended to convey by titling the thread something like "Frustrations on another platform" or similar
- Don't be quick to make up some inter-platform-mod-sharing-details-about-users story which is obviously silly and borne of frustration on my part
- Continue to acknowledge that being a mod is mostly a thankless job that one does not get paid for

Some things I think you could do better:
- When someone has a frustration with the platform you moderate, don't take it personal (the tapatalk comment was a direct attack against me)
- Instead of fixing an issue and jumping in here on full defensive mode saying "we planned on it anyway" say something less combative and acknowledge that was a longstanding issue which is now fixed
- (less for you but still relevant) in the PMs where I was trying to discuss on AmiBay with a specific mod, the conversation was quite undignified and IMO over the top - and also, if we're going to be draconian about rule enforcement, like removing my comments from threads (which is what happened on AmiBay) in spite of the fact that numerous other comments broke various rules and received a public message of "don't say that or I'll remove it" - this is fairly inconsistent at best and deeply frustrating at worse since it removed me from my spot in line to buy an item specifically listed on a site for buying and selling gear. Acknowledge that mistakes happen and work with people, maybe?

Last edited by cloverskull; 15 February 2021 at 20:29.
Old 21 February 2021, 04:29   #53
b0lt-thrower

The feedback and so on I've gotten from people about AmiBay seems to mirror what everyone else has said. Back some years ago I had an itch to start back up with Amiga hardware and it seemed at the time to me to be a good alternative to paying a grand for a broken, acid-eaten A2000 on eBay, but I made the unforgivable sin of doing something wrong during registration(!!!) and eating an immediate ban. Like, right then. "Time this ban will be lifted: Never." was the message I got. I think it's because I didn't (and I still don't) have POP mail. I was using GMail. We can argue the merits of using Google's mail service or not, but an instant, permanent ban on the spot? There's something effing wrong with your registration system.

Christ, it reminded me of character creation in the pen and paper RPG Traveller, where your character can die during the process of creating them!

And honestly, these days, there's plenty of social media platforms (MeWe, Facebook, etc.) that have built-in tools for running marketplaces, and you can absolutely moderate them without the nonsense AmiBay puts people through.

Finally: from a technical standpoint, having no HTTPS enabled is simply a non-starter for an e-commerce site. That ain't it, chief.
Old 21 February 2021, 21:55   #54
LoadWB
Derezzed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0lt-thrower View Post
Finally: from a technical standpoint, having no HTTPS enabled is simply a non-starter for an e-commerce site. That ain't it, chief.
https://www.amibay.com

Works just fine, and the http site redirects to it.
Old 22 February 2021, 01:27   #55
cloverskull

Agreed, but when I started off on this rant, that was not the case :P
Old 23 February 2021, 05:38   #56
LoadWB
Derezzed User

Quote:
Agreed, but when I started off on this rant, that was not the case :P
I remember visiting the https in the not-to-distance past (before this thread,) but all visits have been updated in my browser history so I got nothing there to show. The secure certificate, however, is dated from last November.

Validity
Not Before: Nov 27 00:00:00 2020 GMT
Not After : Nov 26 23:59:59 2021 GMT
Subject: CN = *.amibay.com

?? Notwithstanding, I am glad to see them running secure.
Old 03 March 2021, 14:10   #57
acidbottle

Gave up on Amibay. Registred twice and never got the invite. Weird, weird website.
Old 16 July 2021, 15:08   #58
Rodeo
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Rodeo Send a message via AIM to Rodeo Send a message via Yahoo to Rodeo
I recently got permaban, becouse of SPAM, and the reason is most likely that my account has been hacked. I cant even Contact them. Becouse of this ban. That forum suck anyway.
Old 16 July 2021, 15:54   #59
sardine

Typical throw your dummy out of the pram statement

We answer emails EVERY DAY we also have a dedicated contact us form as well as notifications if this thread gets any new posts so you have NO excuse but that doesn’t matter any hoo as apparently we “suck” anyway.
Old 18 July 2021, 02:49   #60
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardine View Post
Typical throw your dummy out of the pram statement

We answer emails EVERY DAY we also have a dedicated contact us form as well as notifications if this thread gets any new posts so you have NO excuse but that doesn’t matter any hoo as apparently we “suck” anyway.
LOL You know what irony is ?

Why not post the PM conversation we had to the community so people can see how childishly you handled the situation.

You was quite for 2 or 3 weeks on amiybay after I banned myself then come back mister nice guy .

I had %100 feed back and every one was very happy with my sales and bargains for the amiga community over several years, I was very proud of my feed back.

Last edited by freehand; 18 July 2021 at 05:18.