English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 October 2006, 00:23   #1
JonSick

HEELLLLLL yea!!!! Amiga 1200 questions

An old mate of mine reckons his Amiga 1200 is still in his attic.

Amiga + accelarator card (don't know what) + loadsa disks for the princely sum of "get it the hell out of my house, I'm moving to a small flat in Finchley!"

WOOHOO!!!

I pick it up this weekend. Totally not tested. He reckons the floppy drive may be screwed but I guess I'll find out soon. Oh, and a 1Gb disk!

So what do I need to get this WHDLoad thing on my system without a network connection (cheap as chips). Can I load the 1gb 3.5" hd into my pc and create my bits on that? Or is that not possible?

Also, how can I connect this to my PC's flatscreen? I'd rather not have a TV in my music room... I've already got the problem of a million and a half disks hahaha.

Finally, where can I get a replacement mouse, or at least a converter to use a PC mouse?

Jon
Old 13 October 2006, 00:38   #2
EmuChicken

you can load the hard drive in the pc, if you use winuae you can install what the hell you want.... Id recommend the classicwb installation though as it installs all the major stuff you need (then all you need to do is add the whdload game installs!)

for a pc flatscreen you need a scandoubler I think- if you have a projector you could use that for your amiga

replacement mouse, ebay :P if you want a converter I think you need to make one yourself
Old 13 October 2006, 03:41   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Heys JonSick,

Glad to hear another Amiga has found a home

okies i se the dilema so lets see if i can help you further

1) PC Mouse on amiga
yep its easy peasy, all you need is a cocolino or morrow check, both cost arround the £20 mark, but its lovely to use 2000 dpi optical mouse on an amiga.

You can make yourself an adapter, but you will also need to program a PIC chip with ps2 to amiga mouse port logic, this can be found on aminet and the PIC can be found on ebay for arround £10. from this you will need an EEprom burner these can be a little expensive unless you kipe one form work or build your own... this can be found on aminet and ebay personally i stick to and swear by the cocolino you can get these from:
www.amigakit.co.uk and www.versalia.de

2) Connection to TFT flatscreen.
If you search these fair forums you will find a couple of threads on this, but by far and large to connect to TFT or CRT you will need one of two things,
A) Scan doubler
B) CRT /TFT tuner box.

There are many reasons for either (and both) but I would recomend a CRT/TFT Tuner box from ebay (i have one on route for about £30) these have scan-doubles built into the scart input so i output from my A1200 RGB (monitor port) to the scart in on the Tuner box, nice crisp clear picy on my flat screen monitor .

Scan Doubler / Flicker fixer can set you back from 65£ to 95£ you can get these either internal or external (the latter are more expensive) for use. there biggest boon is the fact they can fix the flickering on interlaced screens as well as double the output frequency. you can get these mainly from amigakit.com and versalia.de both i'd recomend

3) How to get alll that lovely content on ones hard drive.

Well my friend, EMUchicken pretty much hit the nail on the head with stick a hard disk in the pc and use WinUAE to prepup a hard disk for an amiga, there are threads on these boards that discuss this in depth and also offer alternatives to harddisk (such as Compact Flash cards instead) but have a scan, theres many ways to get the content on there, you might an approach that you are comftable with

I would recomend registering WHD i have done, not only to get rid of the anyoing requester but more so to support the community it was born from
Old 13 October 2006, 09:30   #4
JonSick

Thanks guys - awesome replies.

As its not been used in years, I reckon I'll first do some bugtesting on her, make sure its all good and replace bits as necessary!

I don't wanna spend tooooo much, but I'm thinking WHDLoader will definately be something I'll register, simply to have some good software and support this guy who does it - after all from what I've seen, its pretty hard core

Right, I'll get searching out some auld threads and see whats up!

Cheers dudes
Jon
Old 13 October 2006, 11:05   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

I think this thread is better placed in prb.Hardware. So thread moved.
Old 13 October 2006, 11:21   #6
JonSick

Cheers Paul... soz for the misplacement!
Old 18 October 2006, 10:43   #7
Badders
Commodore Nut

Send a message via MSN to Badders
My only advice is "be careful". This Amiga lark is very addictive. I started out getting an A1200 to get back into it. I now have 2 1200s and 2 500s.

Somebody stop me!!

Badders.
Old 18 October 2006, 22:00   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders
My only advice is "be careful". This Amiga lark is very addictive. I started out getting an A1200 to get back into it. I now have 2 1200s and 2 500s.

Somebody stop me!!

Badders.
we cannot stop what we cannot controll ourselfs my dear Badders,

you are doomed to your fate as are the rest of us i am afriad...

but what a fate eh? retr0 gaming till ones heart is content is a good feeling, much like a night out down the local curry house... MMmmmmm curry.... Mmmm retro-gamming.... I'm sensing a mystical convergence here....