English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 May 2017, 18:52   #1
lord of time
Banned

Indivision and vampire incompatibilities!

This issue is bugging the hell outta me - I can't be the only person to have come across it? Perhaps we should put our heads together and figure out a fix?

Last edited by lord of time; 30 May 2017 at 19:15.
Old 30 May 2017, 20:41   #2
matthey
Banned

The Indivision is supposed to be compatible.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=5&note=749
Old 31 May 2017, 11:05   #3
lord of time
Banned

Well it's not - I have it from the guys at that very forum in there is room
Old 31 May 2017, 11:14   #4
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
This issue is bugging the hell outta me - I can't be the only person to have come across it? Perhaps we should put our heads together and figure out a fix?
whats the issue mate?
Old 31 May 2017, 11:26   #5
AlgoRythmic

I have an Indivision and a Vamp 500 V2 installed in my A500 Plus and they're totally compatible - never had any probs whatsoever. I even have a 1MB chip upgrade in the trapdoor..

What kind of incompatibilities are you experiencing exactly?
Old 31 May 2017, 17:11   #6
lord of time
Banned

The indivision config software will not detect the indivision when the vampire is installed... apparently it's to do with registers?
Old 31 May 2017, 17:24   #7
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
The indivision config software will not detect the indivision when the vampire is installed... apparently it's to do with registers?
Yes, the registers that the Indivision added to the Amiga register address space are not accessible from the 080 because it has its own range of overlay registers. This was communicated clearly right from the start. Then people started to notice that the Indivision still worked nonetheless but that was only true during an early state of the Vampire core. Now with more and more SAGA features being implemented, the Indivision registers are not accessible any more. I wonder whether this really matters as the Vampire's RTG is far more powerful than the Indivision's additions. The Indivision should still work as a scandoubler if I'm not mistaken.
Old 31 May 2017, 22:35   #8
lord of time
Banned

Yes but I can't tweak the settings when I should be able to. Nowhere has it been said clearly that I can find that the indi and the vamp conflict surely there is a way to fix this and no saga is only good for rtg as no native output at the moment.
Old 31 May 2017, 22:55   #9
Sinphaltimus

Doesn't Gold3 make scan doublers unnecessary? I've ended my search for an affordable scan doubler or 15Khz monitor and am using the RCA video out because of what I've seen, read and heard about Gold3 beta. Am I mistaken to assume I won't need these things once Gold3 is stable and released? (NOTE: I do not yet have my allocated card - should be here in a few months).
Old 01 June 2017, 09:05   #10
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Doesn't Gold3 make scan doublers unnecessary? I've ended my search for an affordable scan doubler or 15Khz monitor and am using the RCA video out because of what I've seen, read and heard about Gold3 beta. Am I mistaken to assume I won't need these things once Gold3 is stable and released? (NOTE: I do not yet have my allocated card - should be here in a few months).
yeah, i think your right.

GOLD3 will output everything, even all native modes across HDMI, so need for a doubler, well, thats my logic on it to.
Old 01 June 2017, 10:41   #11
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
read and heard about Gold3 beta. Am I mistaken to assume I won't need these things once Gold3 is stable and released? (NOTE: I do not yet have my allocated card - should be here in a few months).
Yes, chances are that Gold3 will remove the necessity of using a scandoubler. A lot of stuff works very well already but we just cannot know now whether compatibility of a much faster chipset can get close enough to or even reach 100% which is why there is also work being done on the Parasite video digitiser in parallel to the core implementation. The Parasite will be open-sourced when it's done which means that anyone could build a digital video converter for an Amiga for very little money (I believe parts are less than 20€).
Old 01 June 2017, 10:46   #12
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Yes, chances are that Gold3 will remove the necessity of using a scandoubler. A lot of stuff works very well already but we just cannot know now whether compatibility of a much faster chipset can get close enough to or even reach 100% which is why there is also work being done on the Parasite video digitiser in parallel to the core implementation. The Parasite will be open-sourced when it's done which means that anyone could build a digital video converter for an Amiga for very little money (I believe parts are less than 20€).
if that's the case, does that mean faster rendering of images, games etc. if its all out of HDMI ??

apart from viewing Amiga native modes over HDMI, what other advantages will it have?

thanks
Old 01 June 2017, 11:02   #13
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toryglen-boy View Post
if that's the case, does that mean faster rendering of images, games etc. if its all out of HDMI ??
Yes, all graphics operations are many, many times faster than before. This doesn't mean you will be getting 100 fps in, say, Shadow of the Beast, though, as the framerate has always been 50 fps and cannot increase. Games like Syndicate which crawls with a hundred or more enemies in the scenario will probably speed up, on the other hand. It depends on the type of game. E.g. ADoom running on a native display instead of RTG reaches much higher framerates than on the real ECS chipset mode. Of course, ADoom will still run better on RTG because it just doesn't need the chunky-to-planar conversion anymore, the chunky-to-planar conversion just is a much smaller penalty with fast chipmem.

Quote:
apart from viewing Amiga native modes over HDMI, what other advantages will it have?
Workbench and all OS-software is amazingly fast even without any necessity of RTG support. New games could do hundred times as many blitter objects as before or use hires instead of lores.
Old 01 June 2017, 11:06   #14
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Workbench and all OS-software is amazingly fast even without any necessity of RTG support. New games could do hundred times as many blitter objects as before or use hires instead of lores.
nice, so games that DONT have a cap, because they are meant for expanded Amiga's namely 3D shooters, should rocket along.
Old 01 June 2017, 11:30   #15
lord of time
Banned

Guys your missing the point - GOLD 3 isn't available yet... until it is I gotta use the indy
Old 01 June 2017, 11:42   #16
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Yes, the registers that the Indivision added to the Amiga register address space are not accessible from the 080 because it has its own range of overlay registers. This was communicated clearly right from the start. Then people started to notice that the Indivision still worked nonetheless but that was only true during an early state of the Vampire core. Now with more and more SAGA features being implemented, the Indivision registers are not accessible any more. I wonder whether this really matters as the Vampire's RTG is far more powerful than the Indivision's additions. The Indivision should still work as a scandoubler if I'm not mistaken.
there you go, from what i can read, and i could be wrong, going to an older version of the core update might fix it, as those registers are usable in an earlier build. it looks like the answer might be :

"Wait for GOLD3 and use RTG over HDMI with no need for a scandoubler"

i would rather use an old CRT myself, i prefer them, but there you go. i know its not the answer you where looking for, its the only answer on this thread that i could find.

Old 01 June 2017, 12:34   #17
grond

Quote:
there you go, from what i can read, and i could be wrong, going to an older version of the core update might fix it
Yes, that's true, one of the later SILVER cores would probably work with the Indivision.
Quote:
i would rather use an old CRT myself, i prefer them, but there you go.
The next core will have CRT-scanline emulation for lores modes, how is that? I understand the appeal of the original hardware but I am glad that I don't also have to hunt down a compatible CRT (no idea where mine went when I put my Amiga on the atic, it was the last CRT I ever owned...)
Old 01 June 2017, 12:37   #18
Toryglen-boy

TBH Grond, its more about the interpolation of pixels on text on screen, a CRT is slightly fuzzier, and the image isn't as "hard edged", as it is on an LED screen
Old 01 June 2017, 13:19   #19
grond

Quote:
TBH Grond, its more about the interpolation of pixels on text on screen, a CRT is slightly fuzzier, and the image isn't as "hard", as it is on an LED screen
Yes, that's why the CRT emulation also does some filtering among the pixels...
Old 01 June 2017, 13:23   #20
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Yes, that's why the CRT emulation also does some filtering among the pixels...
you really do think of everything, dont you

when is G3 likely available?