English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 06 November 2022, 14:10   #21
remz

Hmm I wrote that too fast: I do use Int2 for keyboard interrupts.
I find it a strange decision on Commodore that if a hardware-banging game/demo is not even aware that the machine is a cdtv or cd32 and it is booting from floppy with its own track loader, it would crash because the machine emits spurious int2 interrupts:
Would this mean that almost 100% of the floppy games and demos of the Kickstart 1.2/1.3 era would fail on a CDTV with an external floppy drive?

Same question may apply for the CD32.

I read the Developer documentation for the cd32, and Commodore really emphasis that games should be OS-friendly: They even write specifically that they DON'T want to tell the develpopers what interrupt will occur because it would make games brittle and not future-proof.

I think the "main issue" with the ACE game engine I am using is that it tries to disable OS to be hardware-banging during gameplay parts, then re-enable OS for memory allocations and I/O. Switching back and forth like this is probably not an easy approach.

I wonder if I could simply use intservers on int2 and int6 instead and leave the OS enabled at all time, with just handling own/disown on blitter..

I assume the OS on an Amiga 500,1000,2000 booted straight from floppy probably wouldn't steal much cycles since pretty much nothing else is happening?