English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 July 2001, 15:09   #1
Unregistered

Action Replay?

I have bought a A500 with something called Action Replay. What is this for and how can I use it?

Old 30 July 2001, 15:16   #2
Amigaboy

http://www.amiga-society.de/ahwbook/actionmkiii.html

Old 30 July 2001, 15:31   #3
Unregistered

Does this mean I can use it for screenshots? If I "freeze" a game and take a screenshot, is there some kind of save to floppy function?

Old 30 July 2001, 15:43   #4
Amigaboy

I haven't used an Action Replay on an Amiga (only on the C64 ), but it should be something like:

Search memory for graphic
Find graphic
Save graphic

If I recall, Action Replay could save to disk on the Amiga. No idea on how to do it though (I wish I had an Action Replay! )

Old 30 July 2001, 17:29   #5
Amigaboy

If anyone's willing to part with an Action Replay MK III or knows where to get one (preferably in Australia), please tell me

Old 30 July 2001, 20:57   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hey Unregistered (nice nick, btw) if yours is the Amiga Action Replay original (not the II or III), then it it junk. I have one of those old antiques and they aren't hardly worth bothering with. They only started being useful when II was released. So many stupid things ruined the first version.
Old 03 August 2001, 07:42   #7
Walker

If it´s an Action Replay III there´s an excellent help menu. Activate the AR and press the "Help" key to list all available commands.
Old 04 August 2001, 00:24   #8
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
if you want to sell it, i want to buy it !
Old 07 August 2001, 20:46   #9
Amigaboy

I just picked up an Action Replay 3 on EBay. The problem is, it doesn't come with anything but the cartridge

Can someone scan the manuals (or type them ) and post them somewhere for me and the person that started this thread?

Also. I've been told it originally came with disks. Can someone ADF those disks?

While we're here....Box scan anyone?

I only ask this because I feel like I've been ripped off and I'd prefer to have everything.

Thanks alot if you can help out.

Old 07 August 2001, 21:26   #10
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Amigaboy: Price?
(grr, for Czech republic is very high P&P and Tax), thne i must buy unexpensive hardware on ebay(
Old 07 August 2001, 21:33   #11
Amigaboy

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayIS...ndexURL=0&rd=1

I hope that link works. I don't know if EBay screws up links everyday

Old 07 August 2001, 22:54   #12
Amiga1992

DUH, and now you have to pay shipping from the UK... I hope it's not that much. I brought an Amstrad CPC 6128 from teh UK and shipping costed me... I think double of what the computer costed.

But it was worth it
Old 08 August 2001, 00:13   #13
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Action Replay 3 cart for the A1200

I have the AR3 cart for the 1200 with manual (which is an absolute joke, about 8 tiny pages, hardly any information). I could scan it I guess but I'm not sure exactly how much use it will be for older versions or A500 versions...

Lemme know if you want me to (I would rather be fixing games than scanning bloody docs as you can probably understand).

An easier solution is to download HRTMon from Aminet which is the action replay program but a software version (you can make a switch to break into games as they are running) which has all the commands in AR (plus a lot more) and the syntax is the same *and* it has a decent doc file. Try that...

Also hunt for the Action Replay 4 software, it might be on the Action site under utilities and it's definitely on a few other Amiga sites. It has docs too.

One more thing, ripping pics on the Amiga takes a lot more skill than the C64 due to copperlists... the Amiga can "build" up a screen from several other screens (eg. status bar, 16 colour main screen which has copperlist tricks to display thousands of colours) then another bottom status panel so the rips often have to be done in chunks. Using an emulator is the easier solution for newbies.
Old 08 August 2001, 05:49   #14
Amigaboy

Akira - Shipping would have cost 2.10 pounds if I just wanted the cartridge, but I wanted the whole thing, so shipping ended up costing 7.00 pounds.

Codetapper - The action replay was released for the A1200??? I thought it was produced and never got released (or maybe a few prototypes made it onto the streets)

I'd prefer the docs to the A500 version since I want it to seem like I bought it new, but I would be interested in seeing the docs for the A1200 version (only because I never knew it was released). If you don't want to do it, or you don't have time, I understand

I've already tried Hrtmon and the Action Replay software, but I choose not to use them since alot of games prevent me from breaking into them since they disable mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried building the Level 7 hardware for Hrtmon cause I didn't want to go through so much trouble.

I didn't buy the action replay to rip graphics from games (although, that is a nice bonus). I bought it because I want to begin reversing on the Amiga, removing protections, etc. I've already had enough experience with SoftICE on the PC and I've seen my bro use Action Replay 6 on the C64 enough to have grasped it all. Now I want to start on the Amiga.

Old 14 February 2002, 20:40   #15
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Post Action Replay Mk III Manual

I have in my sweaty little mits a manual (A500 version). If you still want it Amigaboy (or anyone else) let me know and I'll scan the thing in. (Might take a while I'll have to do it at work when the boss isn't around - although it's not very big; 60 A5 pages) .

On another note, I too didn't realise an A1200 version existed - I wrote to Datel years ago when I first bought an A1200 and they told me they had no plans to produce one!
Old 15 February 2002, 01:54   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I for one would like to see that manual scanned (surprise!) as this is anything but common. Somewhere in my crap, I have (unless it's been sold) an original Amiga Action Replay 1.0 with manual, but I can say without hyperbole that it is completely worthless (outside of displaying in some museum of Amiga peripherals).
Old 15 February 2002, 16:45   #17
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Action Replay III

AR III, the best Hackers tool (well, at least for the newbies).:bounce
It was one of best things that i boughtn for my Amiga (A500), and i still have it.

With it u can do it many things like search for music and graphics, add lifes, remove game protections, ...

If anyone doesnt have the manual instructions(tiny manual but with more than 20 - i think ...) , i can scan it, and upload it to the zone.
Old 15 February 2002, 17:51   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Action Replay MkIII

Ok, I have here 2x Action Replay MkIII cartridges, one in mint condition (backup if the other fails) and one that is basically nothing more than a circuit board sticking out the side of the machine (the case long since fell apart!).

I recently bought the second one from Ebay, I got the original box and the manual.

spookily enough I have been using Action Replays for a number of years (13!!) and I dont need the manual.

If Amigaboy wants it, (manual and box) you can have it, as long as you pay for postage, packing I will sort out myself.

Action Replay Mk I is an interesting introduction to Amiga Hacking, but is useless because you have to go through a very labourious procedure to save files to an AmigaDOS disk. Plus it is very easy to disable in games.

Action Replay MKII is where they got it right, you can save direct to an AmigaDOS disk its more stable, but, it still suffers by being easy to disable, copperlist protections screw it up so you cannot enter programs.

Action Replay MKIII had it all, stable, nothing could stop it entering a program, various blanker modes so that if some clever sod did try to disable the cartridge via Copperlist protection, you could change the display entry to remove that. I haven't found ONE game that can successfully disable MkIII.

If you cannot get a hold of a MKIII, MKII is an ok alternative, but dont bother with the first one, its a waste of space, and pointless nostalgia.
Old 16 February 2002, 07:40   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I think (if my memory serves me correctly) that you had to create a special disk format for saving to floppy while in MKI and then do a conversion or transfer of the data once you were back in AmigaDOS. It was a nightmare, I remember that. And it wasn't particularly user-friendly, either. When I bought it, it was the only version available, but mere weeks later, II was released and I was aghast. I tried to get some kind of credit towards upgrading, but they wouldn't hear of it. So I refused to support them anymore. Their loss. And mine.
Old 16 February 2002, 09:05   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I started with a MKIII and it was a great part of the Amiga learning experience.