English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 May 2010, 22:40   #121
Allen1

You can still have this one as I by the time I will need a replacement, the chances are I would have mislaid it or it would be ready to give out too, you may as well put it to good use. I was going to buy the 5 pack but I thought it was really pointless as the original belt has lasted for years, I think just storing the +3 for about a year did the harm as it worked fine up till that time.

You may as well save a few bob for the time being as all I need to do is pop this in an envelope and put a stamp on it and I have both of those
Old 15 May 2010, 23:01   #122
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Thanks Allen, you are a true gent. I replied to your email

Steve.
Old 15 May 2010, 23:52   #123
Allen1

Cheers Steve,

I'll stick it in the post in the morning

All the best,
Allen
Old 18 May 2010, 15:01   #124
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi Allen the drive belt came today

Thanks again for your generosity, look forward to returning the favour some day

I'm going to try some of the commercial backup tools that were released on the speccy to see if I can backup games to real disk via the DivIDE, will let you know hoe I get on

I know theres no need now I have the DivIDE bit its something I've wanted to do for many many years lol, so damn it I will work out how

Steve.
Old 18 May 2010, 15:38   #125
Allen1

Hi there Steve,

glad it arrived safely . I don't know how you will manage to transfer usable code from the DivIDE to a +3 disk to be honest unless you used a multiface 3 interface but that defeats the whole idea really. From a tape game you would load the known code length to an address and then save the code from that address plus its size to disk (a bit simplified). As a lot of games would only work in 48k mode and the disk drive only works in 128k mode, it was necessary to load the main code to a safe area in memory and by using code loaded into the screen area, have the main code relocated to the correct address and ran from there once the speccy was placed into 48k mode by the same code that was loaded in the screen area.

Thankfully Lerm made a program that did that for you called Ghost if I remember right, it may have been from a magazine though, either way it worked a treat. Maybe the DivIDE has a method of saving back to tape? be nice if it does and it would make backing up games for the +3 drive a lot easier
Old 19 May 2010, 08:53   #126
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the info Allen. There were many programs on worldofspectrum that allow you to load tape images and save them to disk maybe I can get one of these to work.

I will let you know what success I have

Steve.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:30   #127
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Thanks for the info Allen. There were many programs on worldofspectrum that allow you to load tape images and save them to disk maybe I can get one of these to work.

I will let you know what success I have

Steve.
Blooming heck, I just looked at the site you mentioned and it also has LERM programs on there ie:- link

The author of the software lived in Whitley Bay a few miles away from me (many moons ago), assuming that this is the same stuff I used to get passed all the protection systems employed at the time to stop people from copying the game code etc then it is BRILLIANT

The suite I got included an assembler/disassembler and instructions and examples of getting past most protection systems, it also showed you how to find where code was loaded and then where it was sent and run from and decrypted etc, the hours that I spent using that suite were vast but I really enjoyed being able to take a copy protected game and get it running from the +3 disk drive.
Old 03 September 2010, 00:25   #128
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Wow, it was such a long time ago we we're chatting about this - was hard to find the thread LOL

Well finally (thanks again Allen! ) I fitted the new drive belt tonight and that good old 3" Floppy Drive is working again

The old drive belt was rottern and just pulled apart! I did forget though how tricky these little bar stewards are to fit though!

Anyway all up and running

Steve.
Old 05 September 2010, 10:53   #129
Allen1

Heheeheee, they weren't the easiest things to fit a new belt onto

Well worth the effort though and it still amazes me how these older computers could do so much with 128k of memory or in most cases just 48k, nowadays it is Megabytes or even Gigabytes of memory to run or store a game on modern machines.

I dare say in a few years time the big games of today will be looked back on and people like you and me will be saying something along the lines of "I don't know how they managed to get so much out of those games back then as they were only a few gig in size"
Old 01 August 2011, 18:27   #130
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
I like the way you have solved the mounting of the disk drive, the two support legs, how did you do it? Also I am convinced you have used two black metal tab things that belong to the +3 case... they are missing on my +3... any idea's where I can get some?
Old 21 September 2014, 22:16   #131
ramparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
hey..
http://www.flashback-computing.com/s...full-photo.jpg
and program then yu can write the DSK images to floppy (CPCDiskXP)> http://www.cpcmania.com/

Actually the pins on the link above are changed ,since red line would be pins 33 and 34.
Follow by this link here:

http://www.zxshed.co.uk/sinclairfaq/...rive_cable.jpg

See explanation here:

http://www.zxshed.co.uk/sinclairfaq/..._Spectrum_%2B3

and you can state that because external upper pinouts on +3 back are ground

Regards

JOSÉ G.