English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 December 2018, 01:10   #1
c0dehunter

How can I copy system.hdf to a CF for use on a real A1200?

Hi all,
I have downloaded a complete system "image" of an A1200 that some random dude has put together with all WHDLoad games and demos (it is a self-contained, standalone, and complete WB 1.3 OS), but it is in WinUAE format. I need to know if there is a way to copy it to a real CF card that can be inserted in my A1200.

The system.hdf file is about 10GB in size, and the rest of the files and configuration settings in that WinUAE folder are very small, so I think everything is inside that big file!

Thanks!
Old 29 December 2018, 01:34   #2
Hewitson

Firstly, I'm hoping you meant 3.1.

Regarding copying the files the best way to do it would be to insert the CF into your PC and use WinUAE to partition/format it, and copy the files across.

Another option would be to use dd to write the image back to a drive. This has the disadvantage of having to have the same partition size(s) as the imaged drive, which may or may not be suitable for your application.

Finally, I would like to make the comment that putting absolutely everything on a "System" partition is a bad idea.
Old 29 December 2018, 02:16   #3
lesta_smsc

Wow where did you source this!?

As mentioned already, you can use the HDF and write back to CF but the imaged drive must match what you're writing to.

You can mount both HDF and CF within WinUAE. Since the HDF is likely to have the boot partition anyway you can boot off this and then follow instructions on how to create partition on CF bearing in mind specifics such as Max Transfer settings to prevent suffering from low transfer speeds.
Old 03 January 2019, 10:27   #4
c0dehunter

I am sorry, I don't follow you: which files *exactly* need to be copied to the CF card?

As I mentioned, this setup is a *portable* WinUAE folder, and the hard drive file, has the .hdf extension.

Shouldn't it be in RDB format, otherwise it won't work?
Old 03 January 2019, 12:08   #5
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
I am sorry, I don't follow you: which files *exactly* need to be copied to the CF card?

As I mentioned, this setup is a *portable* WinUAE folder, and the hard drive file, has the .hdf extension.

Shouldn't it be in RDB format, otherwise it won't work?
Is your cf card formatted to be used with the Amiga?

If so....
on winuae, add the hdf file with the hard file option. then add the cf card with the add hard drive option.

Boot with a workbench ADF then copy all the files from the hdf to your CF (make sure no files are hidden)
Old 03 January 2019, 13:25   #6
Jope
-

Open a shell and:

Code:
copy source: destination: all clone
(change the source and destination device/volume names to reflect your reality)

And you don't have to worry about hidden files.

This command will help to determine device names:

Code:
info

Last edited by Jope; 03 January 2019 at 13:30.