English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 January 2019, 12:05   #1
Pyromania

Amiga Games I'm willing to fund the development of

I'm willing to fund the development of the following Retro games for the Amiga platform.

1. A platform game starring DiscreetFX's registered trademark character Hottie. This would be a platform game in the spirit of Shadow of the Beast or Magic Pockets and or other popular games of that type on the Amiga platform. I'm open to a small team consisting of at least one or more coders and one or more graphic artists sending me a proposal of what the cost would be to develop this game. Development time should be 6 months to a year part time. Game will be sold when completed. Revenue share will be 70% to the development team and 30% to DiscreetFX. Publishing rights will be exclusive to DiscreetFX. This will be for the hobbyist Amiga market only so please send realistic development funding requirements. System requirements may vary depending on the developers, it should support AGA at a minimum and be WinUAE friendly. If you also want to make it work on modern NG Amigas and AROS, MorphOS I won't object. Please be ready to show examples of your past work. All source code must be shared with DiscreetFX during the development of this game. All source code will remain closed to the public. This is not an open source effort.

Link to Hottie image can be found here.

http://discreetfx.com/PressReleases.html

2. DiscreetFX's Hot Chess

This will be a Chess program with a plug-in architecture like the card game Klondike Deluxe on Amiga.

Example = http://hol.abime.net/5623

Thus, players of the game will be able to load different graphic templates of Chess pieces. Don't think of Battle Chess instead think more along the lines of static chess pieces on a static chess board. I'm open to a small team consisting of at least one or more coders and one or more graphic artists sending me a proposal of what the cost would be to develop this game. Development time should be 3-6 months part time. Game will be sold when completed. Revenue share will be 70% to the development team and 30% to DiscreetFX. Publishing rights will be exclusive to DiscreetFX. This will be for the hobbyist Amiga market only so please send realistic development funding requirements. Game will continue to be developed and evolved over time to to become more and more advanced. You are free to use open source chess AI as long as the open source license allows commercial sales of the final retro Amiga game. It should support AmigaOS 3.x and above, be WinUE friendly and I won't object if it works on MorphOS & AROS. Please be ready to show examples of your past work. All source code must be shared with DiscreetFX during the development of this game. All source code will remain closed to the public. This is not an open source effort.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your proposals if you have an interest in making these projects a reality. If I put this in the wrong section of EAB I would appreciate it if a Mod would move it to the right place. EAB members feel free to discuss the merits of these projects and or your opinions on them in this thread. Feedback is always welcome.

If no one is interested, this message will self destruct in 60 trillion nanoseconds. I be accepting proposals for these two games for the next 30 to 60 days.

Last edited by Pyromania; 22 January 2019 at 12:35. Reason: Update
Old 22 January 2019, 13:10   #2
zero

Do you have any projections for sales? And what you consider part time, are we talking 8 hours a week or a couple of full days?
Old 22 January 2019, 13:16   #3
Pyromania

It’s the Amiga market, I have no idea what sales will be. But I am funding the development. Part time is up to the developers. I’ll fund milestones, developers have to manage their own time. This is not a full time job. I’ll also fund upgrades for years.
Old 23 January 2019, 10:37   #4
Pyromania

***Bump***

Money and even candy if neccessary.
Old 24 January 2019, 18:37   #5
mcgeezer

To clarify... this point..

"All source code must be shared with DiscreetFX during the development of this game. All source code will remain closed to the public. This is not an open source effort. "

Do you mean you would want access to the source control at anytime?

If this is the case then I wouldn't be comfortable with that.
Old 25 January 2019, 09:57   #6
zero

Access to the source at any time is pretty standard for contract coding work. Why does it make you uncomfortable?
Old 25 January 2019, 10:35   #7
Pyromania

With Aladdin4D 6.0 for Mac OS X I trusted a programmer to update the application and even made many payments in advance. He insisted on doing the Mac version first, he should have updated the AmigaOS version first. Unfortunately I got royally screwed on that deal. He spent years and years working on it with little progress and even pretended to work on it thus delaying the project for what seemed like forever. I paid for a completed sellable version of Aladdin4D 6.0 for OS X. I got a incomplete Alpha version missing most features including rendering! Because of that experience I'll need full access to source code on all future contracts. I'm not a programmer so I don't mess with or change any code. I just want to make sure progress is made on projects I pay for.

Last edited by Pyromania; 25 January 2019 at 10:39. Reason: Update
Old 25 January 2019, 17:03   #8
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Access to the source at any time is pretty standard for contract coding work. Why does it make you uncomfortable?
Because the developer has no protection of the source been taken over by another developer at the whim of the publisher.

I think there are fairer ways to do this that protect both parties. I don't mind giving the source code once agreed milestones have been set, but to have full access to the code at any time isn't something that sits well with me.
Old 25 January 2019, 22:57   #9
Pyromania

I'm not against agreed milestone private source releases to me for completed work. I'm not a programmer so I only need to do spot checking to make sure progress is being made for paid for work.
Old 28 January 2019, 17:55   #10
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Because the developer has no protection of the source been taken over by another developer at the whim of the publisher.
Which is fine as long as they pay you for the work you did. That's what contracts and up-front payments are for, with agreed milestones.

Really this is quite normal for contract work.
Old 29 January 2019, 09:49   #11
sandruzzo

@Pyromania

Do you have a planned project? This work seems interesting
Old 29 January 2019, 10:20   #12
Pyromania

@sandruzzo.

The plan so far is in my first post in this thread.
Old 29 January 2019, 10:20   #13
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@sandruzzo.

The plan so far is in my first post in this thread.
Sorry, I meant, game design document
Old 29 January 2019, 23:48   #14
Pyromania

I don’t have a game design document. Could you please explain further what that would mean in your own opinion? I’m pretty open and flexible on the design as long as it’s good.
Old 30 January 2019, 02:57   #15
mc6809e

I'd love to see a 3d game that uses the blitter to the max. I mean of course a completely generic blitter queue controlled by the copper. It is possible -- even while blits are running across frames.
Old 30 January 2019, 07:36   #16
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I don’t have a game design document. Could you please explain further what that would mean in your own opinion? I’m pretty open and flexible on the design as long as it’s good.
It would be great to hear from Amiga comunity which games worth doing. I'm willing to do a game if it worth
Old 26 March 2022, 01:39   #17
ImmortalA1000

I was always amazed that there was never an Amiga port of Rescue on Fractalus.
Old 12 May 2022, 21:59   #18
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
I was always amazed that there was never an Amiga port of Rescue on Fractalus.
I seem to remember an interview with Factor-5-guys about them trying to port RoF to Amiga, but did not succeed due to the hardware lacking in computational power. The "Masterblazer"-intro shows the proof-of-concept (or rather, not-proof) they came up with, have a look at 1:25 mins:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 May 2022, 20:38   #19
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I recall from one of the coders of Fractulas or perhaps it was another of three games, saying essentially that there wouldn't be any especially great gains from the difference in power. To be fair I can see his logic because there's really not much only a little extra power could bring I would guess to the engine. It still would have been good though to have seen fractulas on Amiga
Old 08 June 2022, 01:03   #20
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I seem to remember an interview with Factor-5-guys about them trying to port RoF to Amiga, but did not succeed due to the hardware lacking in computational power. The "Masterblazer"-intro shows the proof-of-concept (or rather, not-proof) they came up with, have a look at 1:25 mins:

[ Show youtube player ]
I did see that a long time ago, it is a very basic routine and given the 68000 at 7mhz is probably 500% better than even the top end spec (1.79mhz of Atari 800) it really wasn't good.