English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 23 July 2007, 23:15   #1
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Trainer GUI

Incidentally Girv, whatever happened to your mega-trainer screen that was going to appear before WHDLoad games started up?

I think your energy would be far better spent on that as it would make setting cheats a lot easier than tooltypes, and would eliminate those annoying GUI's that popup on your installs!
Old 24 July 2007, 01:13   #2
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Incidentally Girv, whatever happened to your mega-trainer screen that was going to appear before WHDLoad games started up?
I heard Wepl was working on building something similar into WHDLoad so there was no point developing it further. That was some time ago though.

D'ya think its wise to start adding extra hardware hitting "whdtro" code to installs anyway? I wondered about that and came up with a Plan B to do a similar idea but as an OS GUI, but again since I thought something like that was going into WHDLoad anyway...

TBH I'm not sure what the best approach would be if the project were to be resurrected.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:14   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
and would eliminate those annoying GUI's that popup on your installs!
Not everyone thinks they're annoying They can be disabled and they're removed in updates anyway.
Old 24 July 2007, 01:29   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

just to jump in "as a normal whdload user" - i like to see all the cheats / variants etc done on tooltypes, and would like to avoid -any- kind of gui if possible.... (sorry Girv!)

largely because i use whdload a lot from my own GUIs, (in the style of the game menus) which means working with command-lines.... and i still like to include trainers where i can.

this thread has made fascinating reading btw guys
Old 24 July 2007, 04:25   #5
Codetapper

For the trainer, I thought the idea was it would be some extra module that WHDLoad loads and calls. The slave programmer would just put in a list structure something like:

Code:
dc.l LivesValue, YES_NO, _LivesName, DEFAULT_NO
dc.l EnergyValue, YES_NO, _EnergyName, DEFAULT_NO
dc.l LevelValue, NUMBER, _LevelName, MIN_VALUE, 1, MAX_VALUE, 8, DEFAULT, 1

LivesValue  dc.l 0
EnergyValue dc.l 0
LevelValue  dc.l 0

_LivesName  dc.b "Infinite lives",0
_EnergyName dc.b "Infinite energy",0
_LevelName  dc.b "Starting level (1-8)",0
And a nice system-unfriendly menu (running inside WHDLoad of course) would popup with the 3 questions, mouse/joystick/keyboard routine that allows setting the values, and when it returns those 3 values would have been set to whatever the user selected.

And the same trainer module would be used in all slaves that support it so only one place to fix bugs.
Old 24 July 2007, 05:33   #6
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I think your energy would be far better spent on that as it would make setting cheats a lot easier than tooltypes, and would eliminate those annoying GUI's that popup on your installs!
Hey! I like Girv's GUIs. They work fine and can be made to look quite nice if using VisualPrefs.

(using your own logic...)
Why go to all the work of changing Girv's GUIs when they work fine as is and will only benefit a few slaves?
Old 24 July 2007, 10:11   #7
girv
Mostly Harmless

@mr_a500: the suggestion was to make a common menu module to benefit all slaves.

@Codetapper: yes, a common trainer module, but would it be better as OS or non-OS ? Though I guess I have the non-OS one half done already
Old 24 July 2007, 10:20   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Can't we all just hug and get along?
Old 24 July 2007, 10:46   #9
girv
Mostly Harmless

Well alright come on then GHD, have a hug
Old 24 July 2007, 10:57   #10
Codetapper

The trainer module would have to be non-OS if it runs inside WHDLoad, otherwise it would require a kickstart image in devs. Plus you can debug them easier inside WHDLoad
Old 24 July 2007, 11:00   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
Well alright come on then GHD, have a hug
No tongues!!!!!!
Old 24 July 2007, 11:51   #12
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
The trainer module would have to be non-OS if it runs inside WHDLoad, otherwise it would require a kickstart image in devs.
What I meant was non-OS/WHDLoad or OS/non-WHDLoad, sorry So a non-OS module loaded into the slaves, or a regular OS program running outside of WHDLoad.

The WHDLoad module is probably easier to write but needs slave updates to be used. It also has an outside chance of being added to WHDLoad itself someday.

The OS program would be set as the default tool of the icon and use a definition held in a human readable text file to parse the other icon tooltypes and display a GUI, launching WHDLoad with the chosen options when its done. The advantage is that anyone who can understand the text file format can add a GUI to a game with no change to the slaves.
Old 24 July 2007, 11:54   #13
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
No tongues!!!!!!
Tongues!? That's not the sort of hug I had in mind matey. I was talking of a manly hug, of the kind shared by manly men and not in any way womanly or even slightly effeminate or homoerotic at all. Definitely no tongues.

Old 24 July 2007, 12:24   #14
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Possibly followed by the clearing of the throat and a conversation about football in a deep voice
Old 24 July 2007, 12:31   #15
girv
Mostly Harmless

Power tools, beer, sports cars or "Hot Or Not" would also be acceptable

Maybe a mod would like to split or move this thread? We've wandered off the title topic...
Old 24 July 2007, 13:51   #16
Codetapper

Quote:
The OS program would be set as the default tool of the icon and use a definition held in a human readable text file to parse the other icon tooltypes and display a GUI, launching WHDLoad with the chosen options when its done. The advantage is that anyone who can understand the text file format can add a GUI to a game with no change to the slaves.
Personally I would prefer WHDLoad to handle the trainer screen. Anyone that launches games from the CLI (like CFou's tool and all the other launchers) would then have to know for game xxx you launch the trainer exe rather than WHDLoad.

If there isn't enough memory to run the game, the external trainer menu would still appear, pick all the options, then WHDLoad says it can't run the game. The external file would still have to process and handle possible bogus data in the text file vs assembled flags similar to a patchlist in the slave which is far easier to check.

The WHDLoad method would also mean you are not restricted to 5 CUSTOMX tooltype parameters passed to the game. The trainer menu itself could be globally disabled for people that do not like cheats.
Old 24 July 2007, 14:56   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

so much serious discussion!

all i hope is that you allow "us norm's" to still disable the GUI (be it OS or non-OS based ) and still access the cheats via standard tooltypes (like the massive "Zeewolf 2" set of addable tooltypes!) should we want to....
Old 24 July 2007, 18:19   #18
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
all i hope is that you allow "us norm's" to still disable the GUI (be it OS or non-OS based ) and still access the cheats via standard tooltypes
Disabling the GUI or presetting the menu options from tooltypes would be up to the individual slave programmer to implement. It wouldn't be possible (with current WHDLoad ) to save changes made in the GUI back to the tooltypes though.
Old 24 July 2007, 18:56   #19
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
It wouldn't be possible (with current WHDLoad ) to save changes made in the GUI back to the tooltypes though.

that's ok... i wouldnt be bothered about doing that, since i doubt i would be using the GUI that often anyway when emulating....

(i notice your JSW2 gui still lets you define everything by tooltypes.. athough i havent tried it yet - this is the way i like it!)

edit: anyone actually tried StingRay's updated DogFight slave yet?
Old 24 July 2007, 21:13   #20
Wepl

My plans for implementing this are:

Extend Slave header to allow the Slave to describe Custom options (type, value range, description) like the example from Codetapper

New option for WHDLoad refering to a text file which contains the same information, to make it possible to add the trainer gui without updating the Slave

I like to add the trainer gui into the splash window.
There should be a save button to write the config into tooltypes back (if started from wb).

New option TrainerDelay which specifies how long the trainer gui will be displayed. 0 means no display, -1 means unlimited display.

The splash window will then be shown for:
SplashDelay if there is no trainer
SplashDelay+TrainerDelay if there is trainer
if SplashDelay=0 it is only opens if there is a trainer

If someone likes to write a own Trainer gui he can still does this by a program running before WHDLoad and reading the Slave header/seperate text file and then call WHDLoad as possible today.

Does this cover all needs?