English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 12 April 2018, 12:16   #2001
DonAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Thanks guys! New disks are on their way. We're going from a 4TB Raid1 array to an 8TB Raid10 array, so we'll have plenty more space on a brand new server soon. Yes, its hardware raid. The new raid card is SATA6 instead of SATA-II in the old server so we'll get a bump in speed there as well.

I wont touch the old server for a while to make sure the new one is stable but once we're happy with it, I'll move over the "old-new" disks to the new server as well.

What is your username on the FTP? Can't seem to find you =)
Don't think I'm on it only ever taken a couple of files from the server
Old 12 April 2018, 12:20   #2002
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It was kind of a mess already when I took over hosting it. I would not know what to put where as I don't know what 99% of the stuff is basically, so I've been trying to find someone taking on the job of cleaning it up but so far, nothing constructive has come of it.
Some time ago I did volunteer to take on this mammoth task and even devised a suitable plan

...thing is, I'm just sooooo busy with EAB related moderation / other stuff that I really don't have the time.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:22   #2003
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAmiga View Post
Don't think I'm on it only ever taken a couple of files from the server
You should create an account here Don, only takes a minute: https://grandis.nu:444/eabadduser/

...otherwise using the "generic" account there are restrictions and access is slooooow.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:34   #2004
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
It was kind of a mess already when I took over hosting it. I would not know what to put where as I don't know what 99% of the stuff is basically, so I've been trying to find someone taking on the job of cleaning it up but so far, nothing constructive has come of it.

I did make an attempt about a year or two ago to clean up the Uploads folders by only allowing the uploader to see their own upload folder. They could upload what they wanted and then let a moderator know so it could be moved to its correct place, but there was an uproar about that so I had to revert it =)

Anyway, since then I have more or less decided that I host it and provide everything around it, but I try to not mess with the contents of it.
I realize it is hard. I wish I had the time.

I propose three things (esp. now that things get larger, so the mess can only get larger):

- Move everything not clearly identified (belonging to a collection or whatever) to a "CLEAN UP" or (a folder name I use for such things) "Area 51" or whatever. People can then go there and help identify things, or let the mess in there just be (under the carpet).

- In the root create a clear tree structure that you want people to follow.
For example "TOSEC" folder and inside "Latest FULL TOSEC" and "TOSEC UPDATES" and "TOSEC SOONERS" etc.

- Everybody with upload access should be instructed to only upload followed by a "read me" file (maybe give them an empty form to use), to explain what was uploaded, where it belongs etc. ...or face removal of the upload after a set period.

Just my 0.5.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:42   #2005
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I realize it is hard. I wish I had the time.
That's the thing, people ask for it to be cleaned but nobody actually wants to assist due to lack of time...

Quote:
- In the root create a clear tree structure that you want people to follow.
For example "TOSEC" folder and inside "Latest FULL TOSEC" and "TOSEC UPDATES" and "TOSEC SOONERS" etc.
The TOSEC area is already clear / organised.

Quote:
- Everybody with upload access should be instructed to only upload followed by a "read me" file (maybe give them an empty form to use), to explain what was uploaded, where it belongs etc.
Exactly, why doesn't everyone who has an "upload" directory go through what's there, work out where best to move everything and then send me a PM?

I will then move accordingly
Old 12 April 2018, 16:08   #2006
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, just having a look at the various accounts on the FTP in order to do some maintenance...

These seem to be duplicates:

Code:
deoaxe64        no such EAB member
deoaxe64160     no such EAB member

FanAmiga        no such EAB member
FanCamiga       no such EAB member

Ktulu           no such EAB member
Kutullu         no such EAB member
If these are anybody's accounts then please let me know by midnight Sunday otherwise I will delete

...and this account "sandro1" is most probably related to the "Sandro" who was banned from EAB in October 2016; therefore the account has now been deleted.
Old 12 April 2018, 16:58   #2007
DamienD
Banned

Bah, seems we disable all of the above last time...

All now purged permanently
Old 16 April 2018, 17:29   #2008
Turran

Quick update on the status of the new FTP server. The server is ready with all its new disks. Old server would only produce about 360MB/sec (Megabyte) from its Raid1 array (4TB) so we could not saturate the 10Tb NIC, even if we did get it working (which I did not in the old server).

New server produces about 1700MB/sec from its Raid10 array (8TB) so it should not be the bottleneck in our new 10Tb NIC. New disks payed in part from your generous donations =)

Testing the network internally, it also holds up well.
Code:
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  10.9 GBytes  9.39 Gbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  10.9 GBytes  9.39 Gbits/sec                  receiver
Externally its a bit worse. I can "only" get 6.5Tb/sec when testing to various sources, but it varies a lot depending on where I'm testing. I suspect the various speed check services are not up to the task of testing 10Gb/Sec yet.

I did contact bredbandskollen and complained about the "slow" 6.5Tb/sec speeds (hehe) and according to them, it should be able to handle it (did not expect that response...) so I don't know.

I might be able to tweak that in the future, but I don't see the EAB FTP getting even close to 6500Mb/sec anytime soon anyway. Heck, it did barely any damage to the previous 1Tb link so I have no idea why I need 10Tb or have spent countless thousands on it... When people ask, I simply say "Would you like a Ferrari if you could get one?".

I'm currently in the process of rsyncing everything over from the old to the new. After I'm done, it should just be a simple firewall change to point you to the new one. We'll see when that happens.
Old 16 April 2018, 17:55   #2009
chip

I must admit that i'm already satisfied with the download speed of this file server

But, out of curiosity Turran, the "new" server should go more fast in download ?

Sorry for the question, but i'm ignorant by a technical point of view
Old 16 April 2018, 19:06   #2010
Turran

Depends on your speed really. If you have 100Mbit, probably not. If you have 1Tbit, yes it will be!
Old 16 April 2018, 20:03   #2011
chip

Actually i don't know

I guess i simply will try when all will be done

At the moment my download speed is 800 kb/sec

I will see how it will change

Thanks for reply Turran
Old 16 April 2018, 20:29   #2012
nogginthenog
Amigan

Holy Guacamole that's insanely fast!

I only have 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up (grr!) at home and 200 up/down at work.
I assume this is not running on an A4000
Old 16 April 2018, 21:54   #2013
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Less than 2 minutes for a file on 500MB, on downloading. Slow or fast?
Old 16 April 2018, 22:39   #2014
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Less than 2 minutes for a file on 500MB, on downloading. Slow or fast?
Bit tired here, but 500x120=4.2MB/Sec (Megabyte) or about 42Mbit (Megabit).

Is it fast or slow? Depends what you pay for and where in the world you are etc. For ADSL, it sounds rather good. For fibre, its not.

Correct my math if you want =) *bedtime*
Old 16 April 2018, 23:14   #2015
NLS
Ancient User

Did you allow more concurrent connections with the new pipe?
Old 17 April 2018, 08:04   #2016
Turran

Do you need more than two? =)

I have not changed anything yet.
Old 17 April 2018, 14:41   #2017
NLS
Ancient User

Well, not sure if it helps with anything.
Most modern ftp clients will attempt multiple download threads by default.
Not that it gives any gain probably (if single connection speed limit is not set in your server).
Old 19 April 2018, 07:26   #2018
pgovotsos

@Turran what do you think about eliminating or raising the download limits of people who have donated?
Old 19 April 2018, 10:59   #2019
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
@Turran what do you think about eliminating or raising the download limits of people who have donated?
Haven't you leeched everything already with 882.14GB downloaded? You're constantly at the top of each list
Old 19 April 2018, 12:03   #2020
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
I really don't want to give anything for donations except a better and more stable service as donating should be totally voluntary =)

While on the subject, I still have not switched to the new server. Had some issues with the raid card so had to replace it for one I had in storage.. Its only SATA-II though, so we can "only" get ~350MByte/sec from it (Roughly 3.5Tbit/sec).
Unsure if I should go with that and be happy or buy a better one with Sata6...

Edit: Made up my mind. Ordered a new SAS 6G raid card =)

Last edited by Turran; 19 April 2018 at 13:30.