English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 November 2009, 15:13   #1
Flink

Touchscreen on the Amiga

Hi people!

I'm in the process of aquiring some "new" Amigas (A1200 and A4000) for retrogaming and to serve as a front-end to my home automation project (I'll be porting my client application to AmigaOS 3 and 4).

But I need to have touchscreen. Preferably, something that will work on AmigaOS 3.x (for the home automation app) and while playing games via WHDLoad (I sooooo want to play Eye of the Beholder, K240, etc, with touchscreen.... ).

Is there anything on the market I can use, like a serial touchscreen or a touch sensor you put on top of an LCD? If not, I have some electronics knowledge, it shouldn't be too hard to convert a serial touchcreen data to Amiga-style mouse input... any ideas?

I know this is probably trivial to do via emulation, but my goal was to have a real Amiga doing the honours... the Amiga had a big impact on my life, and by making it a part of my house I guess I want to perpetuate that feeling...

Thanks!
--
Óscar Sarabando
http://flink.formula9.net
Old 03 November 2009, 15:26   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://www.ezscreen.com/PS2.html

You can get one which converts into a Resistive Touch Screen into PS/2 signals and then use a Cocolino or some other such PS/2 mouse adapter to convert into Amiga mouse.

But it can only replace the mouse, not the keyboard or joystick.
Old 03 November 2009, 16:30   #3
Kitty

Where would you find a new amiga 4000?
Old 03 November 2009, 16:41   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

He said "new", not new. =)
Old 03 November 2009, 17:11   #5
kriz

cool stuff
Old 05 November 2009, 11:54   #6
Flink

Thanks alexh!

That was exactly what I was searching for; a transparent way to replace the mouse, without special drivers for the touchscreen. This way, I can use the touchscreen to play those old RPG/strategy games, use the home automation application, and even Workbench if needs be.

I'm building a very nice home automation project, from scratch, hardware and software. My goal is for the system to be open, expandable, flexible, dependable, nimble and cheap. A system everyone can install, democratizing (real) home automation. A bit like the Amiga spirit was back in the days!

I'm designing a very simple (and cheap) hardware (based on microcontrollers), but you can (at any time) change the hardware up to industrial grade I/O modules.

In terms of software, my system is very "graphic", intuitive, quick and very low on dependencies, trivial to install and migrate, and very flexible in terms of development (for customizing it for each deployment).

Then there will be some "extensions" to the system, like a winery with RGB LEDs on each bottle slot and an accompaning database, a retrogaming arcade machine, a housekeeping robot (floor vaccum and wash, grass, ...), a very special "immersion" room (with a bunch of TVs on walls/floor/ceiling that simulate a real 3D world, for games and environment), etc.

The retrogaming machine will be integrated into a table or something, where you can play MAME and Amiga games in a big-ish screen, with 4 controllers. I'm thinking of using a Linux machine, with MAME and UAE. At least in my home, I'd like the Amiga part to be a real Amiga with WHDload and the touchscreen mentioned in this topic.

If you guys are interested in this home automation thing, I can post more information (and maybe even some 3D modeled pics of the room).

Many thanks for your help on the Amiga front!
--
Óscar Sarabando
http://flink.formula9.net
Old 05 November 2009, 13:24   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
he ask`s if we are intrested LOL

pics
write up
er more pics
and have fun, sounds like a nice place to live
Old 05 November 2009, 18:46   #8
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Great project Óscar, hope you reach it until the end.. and don´t forget to give us some information and pictures of your work.
12 years ago I also had a project of automation but smaller:
I had an A600 that was used to every day read the water level inside a tank and if level was too low it used to start a underground water pump inside of a well to fill the tank with water, then it used to start another water pump that used the water inside the tank to sprinkle some fruit trees in a farm while keep measuring the water level.
The A600 did this job during 2 years until a bolt fell on the farm during a storm and fried my A600 parallel port that used to read the water level This happened because I don´t used a photo-copulator in parallel port
I also had a 1200 that used to change my radio channels in another room through an infra-red device
yet I still have those 2 automation devices made by me and the program to first device too. If someone wants it..

Last edited by AlfaRomeo; 05 November 2009 at 23:17.
Old 09 November 2009, 15:07   #9
Flink

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll be opening a new thread about the project, when I get a couple of things sorted out. I'll post some pics and schematics, and some detail about the system (if you want).

Where is the most appropriate place to post about this? Amiga Scene?

@AlfaRomeo: In what language did you program those apps? If you still have the code, that would be great... although I program just about anything out there today, on the Amiga I've only used BlitzBasic2...

Behave and have fun!

Last edited by Flink; 09 November 2009 at 15:09. Reason: AlfaRomeo
Old 09 November 2009, 19:38   #10
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

I think Amiga Scene it´s the right place to post your project.
I made that app in ARexx but I don´t know if I still have it because today I tried to seek in the old disk from my A600 but it doesn´t read but still have the hardware.
Now I´m learning BlitzBasic2 with AmiBlitz 3.1 and also C++
Here it´s my first Blitz Basic Project

In what language do you planning to code the apps for your project?
Attached Files
File Type: rar ResistorCalc.rar (36.0 KB, 187 views)
Old 10 November 2009, 17:21   #11
Flink

Hi!

I was thinking about developing in C, against AmigaOS' native libraries, or BlitzBasic2, since I messed around with it in my Amiga days (and I still have the original package and manual).

Now that you mention it, I've seen AmiBlitz (although German only sites and docs) and I really have no ideia where to start programming for the Amiga...

Although coding my Home Automation client for the Amiga is a hobby project, I'd like to use the most flexible language/API (running on AmigaOS 3 is good, but being able to easily "port" to AmigaOS 4 and AROS and MorphOS would be very nice). For all the other platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, Solaris) I have the main client, written in Java.

I still have to investigate a bit. I should be receiving my "new" A1200 and A4000 next week...
Old 10 November 2009, 21:17   #12
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

If what you want is flexibility then I think it´s best coding your project apps in C because it´s more portable.
Although AmiBlitz is very powerful I don´t know if OS4, AROS and MorphOS support AmiBlitz.
Another point is that PC also has BlitzBasic because acid software, the company behind BlitzBasic2, still support BlitzBasic and Blitz 3D in Windows and it´s not that hard convert Amiga BlitzBasic to Windows BlitzBasic
Old 10 November 2009, 22:44   #13
tero

Amiblitz IS Blitzbasic and runs on os3,os4 and mos
compiles for 1.x - 4.x and mos
Amigaversion becomes opensource in the past and is still under development today.
Many nice new features: new gui, includes for rtg,ahi,os4,mos etc
Blitzlibs still better for customchips (faster)
Inside the download the docs are in english

download (~8mb)
http://amiblitz3.amiforce.de/index.p...tegory/1-.html

There is a part for english speaking people on the forum too
http://www.amiforce.de/board.php?boa...e0850fc61d6179

Last edited by tero; 10 November 2009 at 23:20.
Old 11 November 2009, 16:40   #14
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

@tero

Thanks for your information.
I didn´t knew that there exist an english forum
Old 12 November 2009, 18:33   #15
Flink

Many thanks to you both. I'll start some investigation about development tools and languages as soon as I receive and prepare my Amigas.

Amiblitz looks quite nice! I still have the source code to a simple template of a shoot'em up game I made in BlitzBasic2. It's laguage and API were very clean, easy to delve into, and almost object-oriented (wich I liked).

But I really need to have the thing running in AmigaOS4/MorphOS/AROS with very little effort of porting, because if this home automation project really gets off the ground (and I already have 3 interested customers), I'll need to use something that is viable (obviously OS3 is not...). There is NO WAY I'm going to drive this system (server or clients) on top of Windows (not without the customer signing a responsability term, anyway). My choices are Linux, MacOS X, AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS. Obviously, the big reason to get Amiga-based systems on this project are very much emotional...

I'll open a new thread when I have more info and pics about the system.
Old 12 November 2009, 20:37   #16
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

ok Flink, we will be waiting for it
Old 14 November 2009, 07:38   #17
ImmortalA1000

Dpaint and Lemmings on my Fuji Tablet PC via WinuAE was great fun

(and the principle is the same for what you are using the touch screen for)