English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 December 2008, 23:46   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Walk On The Wild Side - Hackers and Phreakers

Evenin' all.

Looking for a favour... Some will remember the above "documentary", shown on Channel 4 early 1994. Its been mentioned a couple of times in threads here and elsewhere. This program, more than anything else, led to the death of boxing in the UK. Possibly.

Anyway, I have it on VHS. I kept meaning to transfer to disk, but never got round to it. Until last night.

Sooo... its in digital format. I need to play with it a bit, crop the picture to remove stretching, balance the colours a bit. But once done... anyone want to see it?

The favour? I don't mind sticking it on a DVD and sending it out (if interested blank DVD and SSAE jiffy). But would anyone else help out, or perhaps better still, be able to seed it as a torrent or up it to usenet?

Two things to bear in mind. The tape is 15 years old. There are audio drop outs, colour drops, and a fair amount of tape stretch. The quality is not good, but is watchable. Other than drop outs, the audio is clear and audible.

As it stands, its a 5gb native AVI (approx 25mins). A quick trial run compressing down to a 300MB mpg resulted in unaccpetable macro blocks. Reasonable quality at 900mb. I might recapture and encode again, maybe, at any rate use a high-quality vbr encode. Or just hook the VCR directly to the TBC and not use a DV format capture!

Any interest, please comment. Don't PM, as I'll prolly wont have it ready until first week Jan, given the time of year, school hols starting, etc.
Old 20 December 2008, 01:08   #2
DoogUK
Doogster

if it's in avi i should be able to get it down to kvcd size without any audible loss...around 800mb...but if not...pm your deets so i can send you the disc...i'd love a copy!
Old 20 December 2008, 01:27   #3
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Hi Doog (Doug...?) Whereabouts in Dorset? I'm from Bournemouth, many many many years ago...

You have PM