English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 22 November 2010, 22:51   #1
Adropac2
Zone Friend

'Advertising' WHDLoad

WHDLoad
Is there any way of letting it known what WHDLoad actually is.I mean i was on this board for a while and i didn't really pay any attention to what it was or did.Perhaps down to being ignorant maybe but i'm probably not the only one

And not just those that are here for example, i mean there is a potential for people to start using Amiga either in the sense of real or not.Playing games the WHD is very appealing once you know what it is

Something virally on Youtube perhaps or a blog that could then be submitted as an article on N4G maybe

Maybe even ties in with well with the new accelerators coming

Last edited by Adropac2; 23 November 2010 at 22:48.
Old 23 November 2010, 01:18   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

if you didn't know what it was... well... what else is the Abime wiki for?

http://wiki.abime.net/games/whdload/index
Old 23 November 2010, 06:06   #3
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
if you didn't know what it was... well... what else is the Abime wiki for?

http://wiki.abime.net/games/whdload/index
Well there you go see, i would have never thought of looking here.Dunno why but the stuff i did read briefly on eab seemed over my head so i stuck to floppies- thinking about it, maybe i did kind of know what it was but felt it easier using adf's.Mind you i do still run floppies and adf games but also WHDload now as well

I just wonder if there others too like me
Old 23 November 2010, 09:38   #4
TCD

I think that reading Paul's guides (even if they are a bit outdated) provide all that you need to get a WB setup with WHDLoad running in WinUAE. Maybe one day Bloodwych can make a 'Beginner's guide to ClassicWB' video series
Old 23 November 2010, 15:54   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah lots of great info and tutorials out there

Even with that though WHD did initially pass me by and i may never have gone this way.I just wonder of those people that arrive back on the Amiga scene but then leave after their brief stay, lets say they didn't really know what WHDload was or did - regardless of the info - would it have been enough for them to want to stay and continue

Ah well not important i guess but there will be others like myself that are fairly ignorant to such things and tbh i'm actually not really all that ignorant usually to such things

If i knew about WHDload years before i did, i would have been there from the very start but i didn't and i wonder the sort of interest it might bring.Maybe not a lot of course but enough for growing this community a little

Just putting something out there
Old 23 November 2010, 16:54   #6
TCD

I see what you mean, but I don't really know where to put more 'ads' for WHDLoad We're doing quite a good job to point people towards using it here on EAB I'd say A 'Have you tried WHDLoad?' welcome message might be a tad too much
Old 23 November 2010, 19:27   #7
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I see what you mean, but I don't really know where to put more 'ads' for WHDLoad We're doing quite a good job to point people towards using it here on EAB I'd say A 'Have you tried WHDLoad?' welcome message might be a tad too much
What's this WHDLoad thing I keep hearing about

Ya...I'm bored
Old 23 November 2010, 19:30   #8
TCD

Hehe
Old 23 November 2010, 22:10   #9
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah it's not like you want to shove the thing down people's throats i agree but there are bound to be people that wont really know what it is regardless of how obvious it may seem

How many people stumble onto this site for whatever reason and then leave never to bother with the Amiga again?- yet might have if they knew they could play those games again via HD.Now that might not be appealing enough for some were they to find out but maybe for others.To be honest i don't really care as i know what it is already and i'm only putting it out there.I can't be the only one to have been blown away at the thousands of games you can play this way- it was just a couple of years ago i discovered the sheer number of games and i was like a kid at christmas.And yet i was ignorant for all that time before then

You can have something very clearly laid out and people still might not know what it is

Anyway i guess it doesn't matter and iv'e taken this off topic for long enough
Old 23 November 2010, 22:21   #10
TCD

I think the topic is important enough to have some thoughts about it, thus here's its own thread If people have some ideas how to make others more aware what WHDLoad is and how to get it working, they can leave their comments here now.
Old 23 November 2010, 23:36   #11
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Cheers TCD

The biggest thing i think that would have made a major difference to my wanting to jump into WHDLoad would have been just how many games that are available to play this way.I was however quite oblivious anyway to what it was

I eventually came to understand what WHD was for but i wasn't brilliant at knowing my way around WB - at least concerning HD and installing stuff - and found the idea of installing WHD as a bit daunting.It's not that it's particularly difficult even then actually and frankly it's fairly obvious stuff but it's enough to put you off trying at least if it's not super easy- like i say if i'd known just how many games were supported, i'd have tried that much harder with it all- like i did in the end

Another thing that can make you not aware of a concept like WHDLoad is the idea of floppy games for the most working on HD is alien to a large percentage that used to play from floppies, so it just wont figure- it didn't with me at least.Most of the floppy software just wasn't made to work with HD and so you come in thinking adf's or real floppies are the only way you can play games on Winuae.That was my mindset for a good while and the reason i didn't even read WHD threads- ignorance you see but then i really wasn't to know

The worst that can happen is that people don't end up using WHD and while that's fine, these could be people that want or would want to do so.What to do though so that this info presents itself as more apparent?

Perhaps people can suggest some of their initial difficulties faced with WHD or indeed how long it took for them before they even knew what it was

I mean it's in the best interests of WHDload that it's understood more, so maybe more can be done.What i don't know exactly but if i'm anything to go by, there are potential supporters lost

Last edited by Adropac2; 24 November 2010 at 00:39.