English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 November 2021, 19:57   #1
Itrh1l

Amiga 2000 - problems with "cold start"

Hello everyone.

Recently I have become an owner of Amiga 2000 with A2058 RAM expansion card and IDE controller with 44MB disk.

I have a problem with stable operation of AMIGA. When I try to boot it "cold", e.g. after a few hours or a day of break, it won't boot Workbench either from floppy or HDD neither on Kickstart 3.1 nor the original 1.3 - it is trying to read from the floppy / disk but then nothing happens, and at that time when inserting / removing the floppy - floppy drive makes quite strange sounds - as if it was moving the head randomly during operation, unable to find the data (example in the video in link below).

[ Show youtube player ]

This always happens, no matter if I'm running Amiga with or without expansion cards. Interestingly, after "warming up" - a few minutes of work and a reset or a few resets in a row - everything returns to "normal" - AMIGA normally loads the system from a floppy disk or disk (it still have a problems - for example running HDToolBox from WB 3.1 Install floppy ends with Guru Meditation and 8000 0003 error when trying to get partition list.)

Anyone have any idea where to look for the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 22 November 2021, 20:02   #2
lesta_smsc

Cold solder joint likely the cause of this. Best option is to visually inspect solder pads on main components but even gently pressing on chips will enable you to seek out the culprit.
Old 22 November 2021, 20:13   #3
Itrh1l

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Cold solder joint likely the cause of this. Best option is to visually inspect solder pads on main components but even gently pressing on chips will enable you to seek out the culprit.

AMIGA is after full rework using rev. 1.8.5 replica PCB -original PCB had such horrible RTC battery leak that repairing it wasn't a viable option - so I don't think this is the case.