English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 04 October 2022, 18:43   #1
Photon

Which Android emulator supports keyboard input as well as controller?

My findings so far:

RetroArch with P-UAE
Works with Bluetooth controller (USB-C not tested).

The keyboard works for navigating the menus, and I can rebind Hotkeys, but when booting an .adf to CLI and typing, it only takes very few different keys and very hesitantly - and there are a bunch of hidden Hotkey e.g. the key H resets the emulation

How to fix?

UAE4ALL2
Can't even get started, because nothing happens when I tap ".." to navigate to the Kickstart ROMs I bought. Does it support D-pad and A and B on a USB-C controller?

UAE4ARM
Works with Bluetooth controller (USB-C not tested).
Works well, but arrow keys are hard mapped to the D-Pad, so their key presses never reaches the emulation. No settings visible to change this. Config file value?

P-UAE
Can I run it standalone?

Others...?
Welcome to suggest as long as I don't have to root the phone.
Old 04 October 2022, 22:59   #2
Marce
Banned

Android amiga emulators are all very buggy,
right now leave them alone until someone make a good one
Old 04 October 2022, 23:49   #3
Photon

I found a config file on GitHub for UAE4ARM, it has two settings regarding arrow keys, but there is no .cfg in the app folder and the command line arguments for the same doesn't change anything. It's the most promising one for my question.

For RA+ there was a .cfg file and I edited it to map input_enable_hotkey = "f11", and this disabled all hotkeys. But pressing S gave an extra space and P didn't register. Maybe it helps someone playing a flight sim or something that doesn't use those keys. This could be P-UAE's fault. The keys are slow to register still. Can't really type text.

If there's an earlier version of UAE4ALL2 where you can navigate folders I can at least start it and check.
Old 05 October 2022, 21:25   #4
yesplease

you might want to try

https://vamigaweb.github.io

when developing vAmigaWeb high attention has been put to controller and keyboard support ...

you got support for
* BT keyboards
* BT / USBC game controller
* additionally you got keyboard joystick emulation, a virtual joystick / mousepads and a virtual A1000 keyboard too.

be sure to install it to your homescreen because this puts away with all those unwanted browser gestures and address bar ...

Last edited by yesplease; 05 October 2022 at 21:34.
Old 05 October 2022, 23:17   #5
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
you might want to try

https://vamigaweb.github.io

when developing vAmigaWeb high attention has been put to controller and keyboard support ...

you got support for
* BT keyboards
* BT / USBC game controller
* additionally you got keyboard joystick emulation, a virtual joystick / mousepads and a virtual A1000 keyboard too.

be sure to install it to your homescreen because this puts away with all those unwanted browser gestures and address bar ...
Thank you. Yes, the arrow keys worked and you could type.

However, the emulation is very slow with sound buffer bugs on Snapdragon 810 V2 SoC and Chrome, an OCS cracktro ran at 10 FPS or less. Maybe it works on a tablet but most phones won't run at full framerate I think.

I have more feedback if there is a dedicated thread.

But UAE4ARM is the most current Android emulator and easily runs full framerate on the same SoC, supports harddisk directory, accelerator with JIT, etc. UAE4ALL2 is not being developed and RetroArch is more for just playing console games.

So for now I will see if I can support UAE4ARM.
Old 06 October 2022, 22:55   #6
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Thank you. Yes, the arrow keys worked and you could type.
However, the emulation is very slow with sound buffer bugs on Snapdragon 810 V2 SoC and Chrome, an OCS cracktro ran at 10 FPS or less. Maybe it works on a tablet but most phones won't run at full framerate I think.
vAmiga uses a cycle exact CPU named Moira. It passes Toni Wilens cputester for bus access timings on all instructions see https://github.com/dirkwhoffmann/vAmiga/issues/266 ... and that is currently payed with slow execution on older low end devices.

Testing on iOS and desktop showed that devices above a geekbench5 single core score of 500 should do the job to run vAmigaWeb at full speed (which includes ancient iOS phones starting from 2015). Yours Snapdragon 810 SoC from 2015 scores around 230 according to https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks which explains why you see a lot of frame drops.

Additional of being highly accurate there is a penalty (around 20%) due to the fact that vAmiga is compiled to web assembly (hence the name vAmigaWeb) to make it run safe across all devices without any jailbreak and no matter what host OS is used.

Quote:
I have more feedback if there is a dedicated thread.
no I haven't started a dedicated thread for feedback (maybe we should start one?) ... I wrote about it here

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77873&page=2

and here

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106882

Quote:

But UAE4ARM is the most current Android emulator and easily runs full framerate on the same SoC, supports harddisk directory, accelerator with JIT, etc. UAE4ALL2 is not being developed and RetroArch is more for just playing console games.

So for now I will see if I can support UAE4ARM.
UAE4ARM is a good choice for low end devices with its JIT and not having a cycle exact CPU nor caring about bus timings ... it runs at full speed even on older low end phones ... only at the cost of being not that very highly accurate

Last edited by yesplease; 06 October 2022 at 23:03.
Old 07 October 2022, 02:08   #7
Photon

Just had a fun session playing Turrican for longer than I expected with my rusty skills using this setup! Bought a new Galaxy Fold2 from 2020 for £699 and used Razer Kishi V2 which was plug and play.

What was not plug and play (Edit: see below, brand new cable was the issue, disregard the following negative comments!!) compared to my Google phone was file transfer... basically all possible methods of transferring and then exploring and copying files are locked down by Samsung on their phones now (secure folder off and developer mode on), it's absolutely terrible and not bad UX, it's not even UX, it's complete and utter downgraded trash, useful to not a person on the planet

I was able to solve it with Wifi File Transfer by Smartdroid and File Manager Plus from Google Play. This let me copy my WinUAE folder to Download and then from Download to the app folder. Phew! If these apps get unpublished, all transfer possibilities are gone. Mad world.

@yesplease I suggest to start a dedicated thread about vAmiga instead.

Last edited by Photon; 08 October 2022 at 21:56.
Old 07 October 2022, 06:08   #8
Pyromania

Thanx for all the nice information guys.
Old 07 October 2022, 23:29   #9
Photon

Got a bit heated from the file transfer issue. It's mostly a shout against "trends" disempowering users. Turns out I had a brand new cable that was faulty, and it showed as a software error so I never suspected it.

File transfer worked perfect as soon as I swapped that out. Plug and play. Tested both on Win10 USB 3.1 USB-C to USB-C and on Win7 through a USB-A 2.0 hub without any apps.

But I'm kinda glad I tested these things. For example, Google Drive will at least let you download a folder (EDIT: NOPE, not on mobile...), whereas on (not monthly fee) Dropbox you have to "make files offline" one at a time... The Wifi transfer program is useful on its own and could work with most Android devices, not phones only.

Last edited by Photon; 08 October 2022 at 00:57.
Old 08 October 2022, 03:09   #10
Pyromania

Which Android Amiga emulator is optimized for Razer products?
Old 08 October 2022, 15:16   #11
endre1952

I use Retroarch Android version on my Razer Phone 2 and a Razer Kishi V1 controller. They certainly work well together.
Old 08 October 2022, 21:43   #12
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Which Android Amiga emulator is optimized for Razer products?
None. The main ones are
  1. UAE4ARM (most like WinUAE/FS-UAE). I will contact the dev and help/fork.
  2. Retroarch (many emus, limited to console/gaming, P-UAE seems limited also)
  3. vAmiga is not specifically for Android and must go through a Webview/Web browser and so is much slower/requires much faster hardware. Doesn't seem to have frameskip and doesn't have cycle-exact to help with this.
  4. UAE4ALL2 is dead, unusable, doesn't work with most controllers unlike the rest, and will not be revived.

I'm not saying I know all of them. If my view is wrong enlighten me.

Razer Phone 2 was good, but now many phones have 90 or 120Hz and some of those adaptive framerate, which competes with the Qsync ("freesync") of that phone. Mixed verdicts on Qsync (as in not reducing input lag), but it does provide variable refresh rate. It was in the running, but in the end it had the same screen as my Nexus 6P and Razer, like Valve, can't count to 3. If you get a bargain, there is an argument to get that one over a dedicate retro console handheld.

Retro handhelds do one thing well, and can have way better presentation of the games, but with a smaller worse screen, fixed controller, old CPU, and no camera or phoneability, and cost about the same as a 3 years old flagship phone <3

On top of which, Steam Deck replaces all retro handhelds and costs ~ the same (+ flash card). Screen is only 720p, but bigger.

Samsung phones that can have Android 11/12/13 have Game booster, and can also lock framerate in games to 48Hz if adaptive framerate is not desired.

Some newer phones can cast or connect over USB-C to monitors and TVs. Stadia is now dead, but some other cloud gaming options are possible (not Amiga).

If you are playing on a phone with a small screen, a benefit of the small screen is that stutter and motion blur is much less noticeable. So just try it. Install and run Turrican II and the best emu wins.

As for controllers I don't really recommend Razer Kishi V2. On mine everything is excellent, but everything is too small Grips, buttons, you hit the right analog stick pressing A. For a kid's hands it's the right purchase tho.

The other competitor is GameSir X2 (and maybe some I don't know about), and you might also want the USB-C port unused even if some controllers have charging pass-through (example: USB-C headphones included with phone). So a BT5.1 controller is also an option, and then maybe you can get a non-Xbox layout where the left and right hand is as they would be on a SNES controller.

But for me all new phones had ~6.7" screens but weird ratio like 21:9 which fits no document or media or game, so I looked for a deal on a foldable. The phone width was the problem. Still stuck at ~76mm + bezels in 2022. And then Amiga looks tiny. The Samsung one is the only foldable sold outside Asia so it had to be Samsung, and I'm stoked with the Fold2. Got it direct from Samsung on amazon.co.uk, recommend

Last edited by Photon; 08 October 2022 at 22:00.
Old 11 October 2022, 00:18   #13
Photon

Hm, I spoke to soon. Samsung Game Booster, even if you add apps manually, promptly decides "it's not a game" and "limits services" including the 48Hz mode built into most recent Galaxy phones. I tried it in RetroArch and it's pretty good.

So my problem is UAE4ARM runs too fast, some stuff runs at full 120fps

To fix it, I guess someone could re-upload UAE4ARM and just change the category to Game and Samsung will immediately allow it. It's sad Samsung feels like they can boss users around.

But perhaps there is also a trusted alternative Game Booster where the supported Hz can be enabled for any app. I wouldn't mind it for Youtube either! Anyone have such a suggestion that they've used?
Old 11 October 2022, 09:40   #14
endre1952

You might try the TVHZ app. It was written for Android TV boxes, but on my Razer Phone 2, it gives me a choice several refresh rates, including 50hz and 48hz.
Old 11 October 2022, 14:32   #15
aZtOcKdOg

Happy to find this thread! Just have had an old Samsung Galaxy Tab A running UAE4ARM to do some [L] plate ASMTwo coding stuff… it has been frustrating ofcourse having no ‘custom controls’ so having to use a DualShock4 gamepad to hold the trigger to allow keyboard arrows lol
So obv used UAE4ALL2 but although it runs fine for coding exercises it is not accurate…

The vAmigaWEB looks great for my iPad but for some reason I cant even load a KS rom into a slot? It just does nothing…

great thread excellent discussion. I too want bed friendly Amiga!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2022, 19:15   #16
yesplease

@aZtOcKdOg just touch on an empty rom slot. A file dialog on your iPad will popup where you can select a kickstart file. (as an alternativ you could also drag a rom file onto the slot ... should work too) Be sure to select a 68020 CPU in the settings in case you are trying to plug a kickstart rom file into the slot which requires a 68020 otherwise the Amiga will not boot up. Save vAmigaWeb to home screen to make it standalone (this will make go away safaris adress bar). Be sure to run at least iPadOS 14.

Last edited by yesplease; 11 October 2022 at 21:10.
Old 11 October 2022, 22:11   #17
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by endre1952 View Post
You might try the TVHZ app. It was written for Android TV boxes, but on my Razer Phone 2, it gives me a choice several refresh rates, including 50hz and 48hz.
Can't find it. Is it on Google Play? Galaxy Store has no apps on it. Every search result is empty so far Otherwise you'll have to link the .apk which is fine too. First thing on any Android phones is enable Developer mode.

I found 'SmartHertz' which seems promising, but it has 0 ratings. Also something called 'Galaxy Max Hz Donation'. I'll probably try them. Tried to search for 48 Hz and 50 Hz but nothing except some HBO specific app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZtOcKdOg View Post
Happy to find this thread! Just have had an old Samsung Galaxy Tab A running UAE4ARM to do some [L] plate ASMTwo coding stuff… it has been frustrating ofcourse having no ‘custom controls’ so having to use a DualShock4 gamepad to hold the trigger to allow keyboard arrows lol
So obv used UAE4ALL2 but although it runs fine for coding exercises it is not accurate…

The vAmigaWEB looks great for my iPad but for some reason I cant even load a KS rom into a slot?
Cheers for the tip, I'll try taping down the joy trigger and see if cursor keys work... it's a bad workaround, but at least it is one...

That's my only complaint with UAE4ARM, and of course the running too fast which seems a general problem for well, any game or emu. Gotta set the Hz or game/emu must framecap in options. Third option is to publish eh emu as a game so Game Launcher(s) can set 48Hz.

Interesting that UAE4ALL2 lets you browse on older Android devices... for me it doesn't and obviously that's a showstopper. Or maybe it's an old version, I know it worked in 2015. Don't update the app! Is my recommendation. But it's also the predecessor to UAE4ARM by the same dev.

vAmiga has its own problems. It runs ~50fps @ 120Hz on the new phone, recognized the BT keyboard but not BT keyboard mousepad/buttons or screen touch LMB/RMB so I can't operate Workbench. For me it works to load a Kickstart but I have to do it every time I start it. Maybe update Chrome and you can at least boot a disk? I think if you click the File button you can load an .adf with the you know AROS kickstart thingy.

I've sourced an old crappy 4gb/56gb crap-SSD laptop to convert into a Linux machine so I can fork UAE4ARM. All I need to do is remove some hardcoded cursor-to-joystick crap and publish it as a game and I get the 48Hz without external/third party/this is a mad world/ apps.

Last edited by Photon; 11 October 2022 at 22:17.
Old 12 October 2022, 13:01   #18
aZtOcKdOg

Quote:

Cheers for the tip, I'll try taping down the joy trigger and see if cursor keys work... it's a bad workaround, but at least it is one...
Awesome no probs- yeah I’ve tried ALOT of workarounds for the keyboard arrows and so I can see yes, short of recompile there really is no solution ( although according to a post on EAB- the version before CD32 support was added- the keyboard worked fine) I have also had the displeasure of trying to get around the crap Android implementation of ‘right mouse click = BACK’ (ie the UAE4ARM menu UI)
Who ever though that a mouse would be an excellent input device to alter after almost 40yrs of using it pretty much the same way is beyond me. And for a ‘touchscreen-centric’ OS at that! If I want to go ‘back’ I would press the back button :scratches head: (I know that it’s just because my old device is stuck on Android 7 thanks to the 2 update rule employed by Samsung)… atleast that’s def 1 plus for the other manufacturers… update until it bricks for all they care hahah (not rly)

(EDIT: I mapped the right mouse button physical key in SDL settings startup dialogue to be the physical *R CTRL* key on my keyboard… it will do for now)

Quote:

Interesting that UAE4ALL2 lets you browse on older Android devices... for me it doesn't and obviously that's a showstopper. Or maybe it's an old version, I know it worked in 2015. Don't update the app! Is my recommendation. But it's also the predecessor to UAE4ARM by the same dev.
I seem to have UAE4ALL2 APK version 2.3.7.5 if that’s of any use?

Quote:

I've sourced an old crappy 4gb/56gb crap-SSD laptop to convert into a Linux machine so I can fork UAE4ARM. All I need to do is remove some hardcoded cursor-to-joystick crap and publish it as a game and I get the 48Hz without external/third party/this is a mad world/ apps.
I’ll be keen to help test if you do get around to that (that being if it will still run on Android 7 ofc lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aZtOcKdOg; 12 October 2022 at 16:02.
Old 12 October 2022, 13:35   #19
aZtOcKdOg

@yesplease Awesome thanks I did follow the instructions and it’s all setup now… it was an issue with the ROMs I was using all diff legal ones finally found some that work!

Now my issue is just there is no mouse? Even after setting the gameport 1 or 2 to any of the options and using both the trackpad on the connected iPad Logitech Combo Touch keyboard or a separate BT mouse… :hmmm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2022, 16:36   #20
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZtOcKdOg View Post
Now my issue is just there is no mouse? Even after setting the gameport 1 or 2 to any of the options and using both the trackpad on the connected iPad Logitech Combo Touch keyboard or a separate BT mouse… :hmmm:
@aZtOcKdOg

Safari does not (yet) map the BT mouse nor the keyboard combo touch pad to the mouse pointer lock API. Same story for chrome on Android ... so the input 'mouse' which maps the native mouse input to vAmigaWeb does not work on mobile yet... works only on a Laptop computers. Really don't know why they did not do that ... I mean you can plug any exotic BT game controller into vAmigaWeb and it plays fine but an ordinary mouse is not yet supported on mobile platforms ... I think this will be fixed be google or apple in the future because it just feels weird not to support it

alternatively to a real mouse there are still two 'mouse touchpad' implementations for your touch screen ... dragging on your devices screen will make the mouse move ... as for the buttons there are two control schemas

'btn|move|btn' means left mouse button when you touch the left screen edge, right mouse button when you touch the right edge of the screen ... move when swiping in the middle of the screen ... left button is 10% of the left screen side| move 80 % | right button is 10 % of the right screen side

'move|right btn/left btn' means 50% of the left side is for mouse moving and the right 50% of the screen is the two buttons. On the top right quadrant is right button and the right bottom part of the screen is the touch area for the left mouse button.

@Photon
does UAE4Arm support real BT mouse / keyboard touch pads ?

Last edited by yesplease; 12 October 2022 at 17:05.