English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 August 2004, 16:26   #1
glwxxx

Exclamation WinUAE0.9.91 bugs, definitely

I have a serious problem with WinUAE0.9.91 (attachment included).

The Amiga Early Startup has a BIG problem with refreshing the screen! Sometimes the screen is black and it appears step by step only as I am moving the mouse down. Sometimes the screen is OK but I can see many "copies" of my mouse pointer in a line as I moved the mouse down the screen... The functionality is not affected.

Second problem is with ShowAmiga96 v2.3c (latest version I think). It simply crash the whole WinUAE with the well-known Windoze message: We are sorry for the inconvience bla bla... This crash takes place when ShowAmiga wants to display the boot picture during the startup. What is strange, this only happens during the VERY FIRST startup of WinUAE. I mean that if I remove the ShowAmiga line from my startup-sequence and I boot the system and then I put the ShowAmiga back to startup-sequence and I softreset my Amiga, ShowAmiga works fine then. It display the boot picture without any problem then!!! Strange, isn't it?

The thing I totally do not understand is why WinUAE (or is it ShowAmiga96?) switches the screen of my monitor (what means changing the screenmode) even though my Windoze, WinUAE, ShowAmiga's boot pic and Workbench are using the same and IDENTICAL screenmode! (1152x864x32).

And finally something interesting:
I copied WinUAE.exe v0.827 to latest WinUAE v0.991 directory and I run it from there and guess what... All the problems described above has DISAPPEARED!!!

Anyone has the same or similar problems???
Please help!

THANK YOU!

My config is: AOS3.9bb2, WinXP+SP2, AthlonXP, NVidia61.77 drivers.
PS: Yes, I am using latest rtg.library from WinUAE package.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae_20040831_130347.zip (10.6 KB, 192 views)

Old 31 August 2004, 19:08   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does 0.9.90 work?
Old 01 September 2004, 17:57   #3
glwxxx

well, I don't know, I didn't try it because I do not have that version. But I'll download it and I let you know tommorow...

Anyway, I have some new info, I've tried it with WINDOWED mode in 0.9.91 and it works! Everything was fine. Even refreshing in AmigaEarlyStartup!

And some more info which could complicate things a little:
Sometimes, I WAS ABLE to boot even in fullscreenmode in 0.9.91, I mean that ShowAmiga96 displayed bootpic as normal. Then I quit WinUAE, I have tried it again, it works again. Then I quit WinUAE AGAIN (uff and I have tried it one more time and crash of WinUAE has occured at the time when ShowAmiga96 wanted to display boot picture. So is this some kind of "weather dependent" bug? No, I am just kidding, but anyway, it's quite strange to me.

Regards,
glwx

Old 02 September 2004, 18:57   #4
glwxxx

Hi!

So I've tried v0.9.90 also and it is the same as 0.9.91
while 0.8.27 works fine.

Old 06 September 2004, 13:59   #5
glwxxx

helloooooooo???????

anybody there??? anyone interested? hmmm

Old 06 September 2004, 17:05   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sorry, forgot

Ok, I think I found something that could have caused the crash but I can't be 100% sure.

Quote:
The thing I totally do not understand is why WinUAE (or is it ShowAmiga96?) switches the screen of my monitor (what means changing the screenmode) even though my Windoze, WinUAE, ShowAmiga's boot pic and Workbench are using the same and IDENTICAL screenmode! (1152x864x32).
This is ancient "feature"..

Switching from native to Picasso96-mode (and vice versa) closes the fullscreen mode and then opens it again. It should keep the old mode but this isn't so trivial to fix.

Maybe new WinUAE is slightly slower in switching between modes (maybe caused by priority changes?) and your monitor is now just fast enough to notice the change.
Old 12 September 2004, 19:01   #7
glwxxx

Quote:
Maybe new WinUAE is slightly slower in switching between modes (maybe caused by priority changes?) and your monitor is now just fast enough to notice the change.
uff, excuse me but I am afraid I do not understand... Does it mean that the crash of WinUAE is caused by my monitor???

And what about the AmigaEarlyStartup refreshing problem?

Old 12 September 2004, 19:20   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
uff, excuse me but I am afraid I do not understand... Does it mean that the crash of WinUAE is caused by my monitor???
Nothing is wrong with your monitor. I only explained the reason why your monitor switches modes.

This has nothing to do with crash-problems.
Old 12 September 2004, 19:24   #9
glwxxx

ah, ok then

anyway, where's the problem then, I suppose I am the only one who has a troubles with the crash thus nobody replied...

Old 12 September 2004, 19:32   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
ah, ok then

anyway, where's the problem then, I suppose I am the only one who has a troubles with the crash thus nobody replied...
Check your private messages..