English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 November 2022, 16:13   #61
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
One of the area to clear in Operation Wolf is a concentration camp. You even get to see detainees in rags running away from danger.
A war game, indeed. I certainly don't stomach them very well right now. Not that I've had to live through it myself, but I do have Ukrainian colleagues in this modern world of ours... and it was kind of harrowing that one day they had to go take shelter and couldn't work anymore.

I like my games nice and unrealistic nowadays. Fighting okay, but depictions of actual wars? Nah. Not necessary.
Old 03 November 2022, 18:57   #62
Megalomaniac

Theme Park struck me as brilliant satire on the darker tricks that big businesses use to lure us in and keep us, not 'politically incorrect' by my understanding. (Not Amiga, but) Theme Hospital is a very cynical interpretation of private medicine too.

Sometimes its about games being overtaken by events too - Operation Thunderbolt feels very similar to 9/11, while the obscure budget game Conflict in set in a future where you take over as Israeli PM after the incumbent has been assassinated, which happened barely seven years later.

In Britain at least, Satanic imagery doesn't seem to concern the majority of people, other than the very religious, though religion and politics are (usually) separate here.
Old 03 November 2022, 20:38   #63
Matt_H

Payback - the "Irony Bonus" when you run someone over with their own car!
Old 03 November 2022, 22:53   #64
Megalomaniac

That would work better if it used to be Alanis Morrisette's car, as it's a strange definition of irony.
Old 04 November 2022, 19:37   #65
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post

The problem with "not politically correct" is that its dependent on time and place. Americans faint at the notion of a pair of hooters which doesn't bother Europeans. Meanwhile Cannon Fodder got savaged over the inclusion of the poppy in the UK which would mean nothing to us in Denmark (where the weird introduction screen did not make any sense).
Cannon Fodder was prohibited in Germany IIRC. At least it was limited to +18 people.
Even the name of the game is a bit politically incorrect if you know english.
Old 04 November 2022, 19:50   #66
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Cannon Fodder was prohibited in Germany IIRC. At least it was limited to +18 people.
Even the name of the game is a bit politically incorrect if you know english.
Yep, but I'm happy to report the 'ban' was lifted in 2019 (it meant you could not advertise it or show it on shelves).
Old 04 November 2022, 20:14   #67
Megalomaniac

Any vaguely violent games used to be banned from advertising or even being on shelves in Germany, I think MicroProse complained about one of their sims (Silent Service?) being included, as they felt its historical and educational value meant it didn't fit that category.
Old 04 November 2022, 22:41   #68
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The BPJM (that banned stuff) went quite crazy in the 80s and most decisions (like with Silent Service) were reverted by the end of the 80s. The interesting thing is that Gunship and Silent Service (both on the 'index' -> banned) in the 80s were quite popular here in Germany.
Old 04 November 2022, 23:25   #69
Weasel Fierce

When we were doing exchange student stuff in Germany, we got to play a very bloodless version of Command&Conquer.
Old 04 November 2022, 23:30   #70
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
When we were doing exchange student stuff in Germany, we got to play a very bloodless version of Command&Conquer.
Imagine my surprise when I found out that the rest of the world didn't fight robots in Soldier of Fortune 2: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 November 2022, 00:24   #71
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yikes. The whole point of playing Soldier of Fortune is the extreme brutality. The original was so brutish that the guy it is based on had to ask the designers to tone it down for the sequel.
Old 05 November 2022, 00:32   #72
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yikes. The whole point of playing Soldier of Fortune is the extreme brutality. The original was so brutish that the guy it is based on had to ask the designers to tone it down for the sequel.
Now I know When I bought SOF2 I thought it was meant to be that way. Same... problem with Gunman Chronicles: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2022, 21:05   #73
Zabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermix View Post
Check this one

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2022, 21:10   #74
Zabi

Invataksi, Finnish game were you are taxi driver and try to interpret disabled persons orders where to drive.
Originally released for PC.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 March 2024, 18:30   #75
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
That was pretty... unexpected! So, does Mr. Dark Wagner ends up biting the dust after the final battle is won ? We euro lads are eager to know !

Animal cruelty spotted in Gnome Ranger :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 March 2024 at 18:44.
Old 23 March 2024, 00:08   #76
paul1981

It's time that someone made an 'Un-PC software' archive so we can download them all together and enjoy them, or be horrified by them.
Old 23 March 2024, 10:08   #77
pixie

Was there actually any political Amiga game of, let alone uncorrect
Old 23 March 2024, 10:48   #78
Megalomaniac

Depending on the definition of politics, a few come to mind. Conflict sees you leading Israel in a real-world contemporary setting, Balance of Power I think is on a global scale, whereas Armageddon Man puts you in charge of the whole world in a nuclear future, but I think is essentially serious and realistic in feel. KGB I think has a very realistic setting and some political theming, Floor 13 might be worth a look too? Are there others?
Old 23 March 2024, 10:52   #79
dreadnought

https://amiga.abime.net/games/list/?subcategory-id=142
Old 23 March 2024, 11:41   #80
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Heh, I changed Vermeer from 'Strategy - Political' to 'Strategy - Trading' as that seems to be a better fit for the game