English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 16 September 2012, 22:54   #1
pmc
gone

PERPLEXITY Cipher

Hello

Bit of a different release to my usual fare this one. I turned the cipher code I was playing with into a CLI command. You can use it to encipher ASCII text files completely controllable by command line options. Was really interesting to code, even if it's probably of no use to anyone!

Archive attached here to this thread, enjoy

Feel free to try it out, tug it about and try to break it. I'd welcome any bug reports.

Greetz to StingRay!

EDIT: New version 2.01 of the cipher util attached. Input text files can now contain tab, carriage return and linefeed characters.

Last edited by pmc; 28 February 2013 at 15:14.
Old 21 September 2012, 17:09   #2
daxb

It seems that perplexity doesn`t like a word wrap. Edit: Ok, now with V2.01 it works.
Old 21 September 2012, 18:50   #3
pmc
gone

Let me know if you find the 8Kb input file limit too restrictive - I have a home version here happily accepting 100Kb files with no problems.

Obviously your machine would need enough available RAM for the 100Kb version to run successfully. I should add that required RAM is max input file size x2 as the cipher has to load in the 100Kb file and then encipher it internally and the enciphered file also (obviously) takes a further 100Kb.
Old 21 September 2012, 20:35   #4
daxb

Yes, more then 8kb limit would be fine. Is there a chance to have support for german "Umlaute" (mutated vowel) ö,ä,ü? Only if you could add it in some minutes. At the moment I don`t see any meaningful use for cipher text. At least I don`t need to.
Old 21 September 2012, 21:01   #5
pmc
gone

OK, I will post a new v2.02 .lha archive soon containing support for umlaute characters and increasing the input file size maximum to 100Kb

Oh, and you're perfectly correct in what you say - enciphering text is pretty useless - unless you have a specific need to do so of course.

This for me was more an interesting programming exercise. The cipher is very strong: 61,000,000,000,000,000 key combinations alone.
Old 21 September 2012, 23:42   #6
daxb

I can imagine which people have a specific need for it. However, maybe for saver email transfer it would be useful if you have something to hide.

Main thing is you had fun programming it.
Old 25 October 2012, 18:08   #7
pmc
gone

Just a quick update to this thread:

I'll leave the Amiga version of the cipher here in case anyone really wants it but I've now abandoned any further work on this. Apologies to daxb for failing to deliver the promised umlaute updates.

Reason I've dropped it is I've remade it in portable Java code - yeah, not very Retro, I know but hey... - and am enhancing that version. Currently still a command line tool but shortly to have a GUI and further enhancements.

Interested in that version? Drop me an email or PM.
Old 25 October 2012, 19:23   #8
daxb

No problem! And not interested in java version.