English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 08 February 2013, 00:02   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Doesn't the P of SPS stand for preservation? Last time I checked it did...
Old 08 February 2013, 21:59   #22
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yes, P does stand for Preservation, and your point being?
Old 08 February 2013, 22:02   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That there are no updates for 2 years and they are working on an accelerator. My point is that it's missing the point of preserving things. Did I made it clear enough now?
Old 08 February 2013, 22:57   #24
BarryB
Amigaholic

Well, you're not paying them to do this so that means they can pretty much do as they please. I bought a Kryoflux from them but that doesn't mean they have any obligation to me either. You'd best post your concerns on the Kryoflux forums where the people concerned can give you the answers you need.
Old 08 February 2013, 23:08   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

As far as I'm concerned I'll just sort the EAB side as best as I can and stay away from any fruitless discussions. The whole point about EAB not linking to any IPF hosting sites was mainly about SPS considering EAB their 'home'. At least that's what I made of all previous discussions. The lack of answers here kind of contradicts that point a little. Like I suggested earlier, there will be an initiative here on EAB to make IPFs more easily available (and even if it's just a selected few) and I really hope that SPS will support the idea.
Old 08 February 2013, 23:53   #26
BarryB
Amigaholic

Well seeing as 3,000 odd Amiga IPFs are in the wild and in TOSEC does seem odd EAB can't host TOSEC IPFs.
Old 09 February 2013, 00:38   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's all about being legally able to Google is always your friend in case EAB can't help you... anyway, let's just settle this here for now I don't mind SPS doing what they do, but I certainly hope somebody else steps up with an open format to encourage competition
Old 09 February 2013, 02:27   #28
BarryB
Amigaholic

I do recall kaffer created a set of Linux programs under the name 'Disk Utilities' that created IPFs from Kryoflux dumps based on known formats like Copylock, AmigaDOS and some other protection formats. I made IPFs of all my own Amiga disks using his utility. I even sent him dumps of some protected disks and he added the protection format in newer builds. Unfortunately he doesn't have time to maintain it due to starting up a new business but the tool still creates IPFs of the most common Amiga formats.

I think the other problem with releasing IPFs is people making money from them, they are 100% identical to the original disk after all which makes emulator compilations more 'sellable' I would think!!
Old 09 February 2013, 08:00   #29
Keir

Regarding disk-analyse, I do welcome code patches from other people though! I provide a straightforward framework for dropping in new format analysers. These days it should build under MinGW on Windows, as well as on Linux. Google "keirf disk utilities".

Regarding SPS, bottom line is they (and particularly IFW) have created a massive repository of original Amiga disk images already. They deserve much respect even if they never lifted another finger on Amiga (which I doubt).
Old 09 February 2013, 09:44   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

They have and we're all very thankful for their work I think. Would just be nice to get some kind of feedback every once in a while
Old 09 February 2013, 10:30   #31
Keir

I have to agree, and I think they set expectations too high. But having gone through some of what they did with my own format analyser, I cut them lots of slack!
Old 09 February 2013, 14:03   #32
BarryB
Amigaholic

I did ask about the database here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65380

Specifically all the formats dumped but not listed, and as you can see by his reply it's not a 5 minute job. I think my reply about taking on the task wasn't appreciative of the hard work involved either, silly me!!

But, an update on what they've been doing would be nice, roughly how many formats they've dumped but not IPF'd and any updates they've added to their Analyser.

And as kaffer says, his Disk Analyser is their for people to add formats to, so people with the knowledge can push self IPF creation if they want.
Old 09 February 2013, 18:59   #33
Calabazam

I do not understand why you are complaining about no distribution. CAPDSI files are really easy to get, just google them.

The question is more how to restore those ipf to real disks when needed too (easy for standard DOS disks, not at all for special formats).
Old 09 February 2013, 19:10   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I do not understand why you are complaining about no distribution.
I'm not actually complaining about it, but this bit of the rules here could be different: http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab..._caps_faq_item (means that I would like to make them available as links or in the zone here)

However I'm complaining about the fact that alexh doesn't get an answer to his question...
Old 09 February 2013, 21:08   #35
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I do not understand why you are complaining about no distribution. CAPDSI files are really easy to get, just google them.

The question is more how to restore those ipf to real disks when needed too (easy for standard DOS disks, not at all for special formats).
It's easy enough with the Kryoflux hardware. The non-standard formats need a custom disk controller like that to be correctly written to disk.
Old 09 February 2013, 23:36   #36
BarryB
Amigaholic

Calabazam, CAPSDI doesn't have every Amiga IPF created though, nor does TOSEC.

I'm currently dumping 200+ IBM PC 3.5" Disks for them so lord knows when I'll get any IPFs from them, but I can create my own using Kaffers Disk-Analyse + Kryoflux
Old 09 February 2013, 23:49   #37
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I'm the one with the more IPF on HDD (And still have )
Old 10 February 2013, 09:23   #38
seuden
uber cool demi god

If you have original disks then I'm sure they would give you a copy of the .ipf's.
Old 10 February 2013, 12:16   #39
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Let me help you mirror that nice resource
Old 10 February 2013, 13:11   #40
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
SPS have more than you though