English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 March 2021, 20:54   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Video count and subs rocketed in 2 days, why?!

Hi, I need to ask a question as this has me baffled.

In June 2019 I uploaded my WR Speedrun of Barbarian II on the Amiga on Youtube, up until March 15th 2021 it hit 3750 views (roughly 100 views per month) then in the last 2 days the viewcount has rocketed to over 123,000+ with tons of comments and my subs have gone up by 200 in just a day too!

I'm certainly not complaining but how has this suddenly happened and why this video out of my other 1800+ youtube videos?!
I just cannot understand how It's gained 120,000 views in just 24hrs, anyone have a clue?!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 March 2021, 21:29   #2
Gordon
Settler

First of all, congrats.

Maybe a big YouTuber recommended watching it? I had a quick look but not seen any of the biggies do Amiga in last couple of days.

You could try respond to a few comments and ask what made you view this video?
Old 17 March 2021, 21:50   #3
Foebane
Banned

You're looking a gift horse in the mouth? Don't do that.
Old 17 March 2021, 21:53   #4
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
First of all, congrats.

Maybe a big YouTuber recommended watching it? I had a quick look but not seen any of the biggies do Amiga in last couple of days.

You could try respond to a few comments and ask what made you view this video?

Hi and thanks for the congrats.

Yes I actually responded to the comments (all bloody 100 of them lol) but asked just a few how they found this video, a good chunk of them said it was recommended to them by I guess Youtube, after quite a few years uploading unemulated gaming content could it be that they actually awarded me a pair of rocket boosters as just rewards?! If so It's about blooming time but if not then It's still a very nice mystery, the amount of views and subs in 24hrs alone has got me completely

Whatever the reason I'm grateful but the curiosity is driving me
Old 17 March 2021, 21:58   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

I would have expected 100000 views for the hilarious "Bad Cat" review. Remains my favourite.
Old 17 March 2021, 22:00   #6
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I would have expected 100000 views for the hilarious "Bad Cat" review.

Oh good god don't go there, that Shit Game Time review nearly sent me
Old 17 March 2021, 22:14   #7
Pyromania

I'm going to blame the knockers for this one.

Old 17 March 2021, 22:19   #8
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
You're looking a gift horse in the mouth? Don't do that.

Ooh no way am I doing that ,...but all that in 2 days?! Gotta be a legit reason why the huge boom.
Old 17 March 2021, 22:24   #9
ZEUSDAZ

Update, seems the Youtube feedback I'm getting suggests it was in everyone's recommendations, can it be that Youtube finally gave me a long awaited push?!
Old 18 March 2021, 13:34   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You pleased the algorithm somehow
Old 18 March 2021, 14:04   #11
Foebane
Banned

I saw the Bad Cat video and have to wonder: Didn't you read the instructions or the controls for the game?

In any case, magazine reviews on Amiga Magazine Rack rated the game higher than you did.
Old 18 March 2021, 14:14   #12
drHirudo
Amiga user

Sudden surge happens to my videos all the time. Nothing to worry about.

Be happy, it can happen after some news event, viral video or just a share on public forum or social group.
Old 18 March 2021, 17:07   #13
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You pleased the algorithm somehow

That's the million dollar question, if I only I knew how
Old 18 March 2021, 21:11   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's a secret and for good reason, otherwise people would game it to pointlessness. We can be sure about one thing: your content needs to be ad-friendly and if you don't flag it as adult content it needs to be kid-friendly. I've seen other Youtubers go out of their way to keep at least the first half of their videos free of offensive language and words. The fact that the word "shit" is in the titles may have helped to prevent this from happening sooner, who knows.
Old 18 March 2021, 23:49   #15
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The fact that the word "shit" is in the titles may have helped to prevent this from happening sooner, who knows.

That's a possibility but bare in mind my Shit Game Time reviews was only created a few years ago and yet the channel has been around for almost 10yrs so I can't see why that has caused Barbarian II video to suddenly explode and tons of my other videos without swear words in it not to have.

With that many that have viewed Barbarian II in just a couple of days I'm hoping they would have looked around the rest of my channel and decided to sub,...even though I don't make money on my channel as I don't place adverts on the videos and are free for everyone to watch, the only revenue I make is from SGT requests

...But it does feel seeing that videos viewcount and my subs rocket in just 2 days, after 9yrs and uploading over 1800 videos on the ZEUSDAZ channel I do feel I deserve it somewhat
Old 19 March 2021, 10:35   #16
Foebane
Banned

I HATEHATEHATE the current trend of YouTubers in the last few years to have to personally mention their sponsors and their products WITHIN their videos, taking up to a quarter of the videos sometimes, rather than it being in a form that I can cut out with AdBlock Plus.
Old 19 March 2021, 11:37   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I HATEHATEHATE the current trend of YouTubers in the last few years to have to personally mention their sponsors and their products WITHIN their videos, taking up to a quarter of the videos sometimes, rather than it being in a form that I can cut out with AdBlock Plus.
There is a browser plugin for it somewhere which helps to skip those sections, but I don't know how effective it is.
Old 19 March 2021, 11:40   #18
roondar

Well Zeus, you definitely deserve it for all the pain you've been through with those games

Seriously though, well deserved - you got a very nice channel going and I still love the 'no emulation' angle!
Old 19 March 2021, 19:18   #19
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
I saw the Bad Cat video and have to wonder: Didn't you read the instructions or the controls for the game?

In any case, magazine reviews on Amiga Magazine Rack rated the game higher than you did.

Most likely cuz they took a backhander from the publishers to promote their games, happened many times back then, Bad Cat is a shit game I think 99% of gamers would agree with that.
Old 19 March 2021, 19:22   #20
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Most likely cuz they took a backhander from the publishers to promote their games, happened many times back then, Bad Cat is a shit game I think 99% of gamers would agree with that.
I'm not defending bad Amiga games (of which a LOT are BAD) but you have played these games for us in an entertaining way, so we see for ourselves how bad they are.