English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 October 2017, 02:38   #61
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I think it’s fair to give Kickstarter a go, if not for the main reason being with Kickstarter hitting the target at least will give him profits, as we all well know if a digital store is set up it only takes one person to release his bought copy online for free on the first day leaving him with little or no profits from what after all is his game, so a reasonable amount on Kickstarter is fair enough, his judgement on how much that will be is the decider if it will work of course.
+

This makes sense to me. its like the soon to be released C64 game Sams Journey. Ive reordered this game for around £70 (all extras) and the download version isnt available until a certain date.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:43   #62
Amiga1992

Preorder is not like Kickstarter at all.
A preorder for the Amiga game would be a much fairer/sensible option.

If the Kickstarter really is to finance creation of a PC/Mac version, why would Amiga users back it?

This needs clarification. As it is it just seems release of the Amiga version is subject to creation and release of a PC/Mac version. That's again another carrot in front of the proverbial donkey.

Testing/fixing doesn't seem like warranting a Kickstarter, if the game really is made already.
This still sounds like some greedy unreliable shit.
Old 24 October 2017, 11:44   #63
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Preorder is not like Kickstarter at all.
A preorder for the Amiga game would be a much fairer/sensible option.

If the Kickstarter really is to finance creation of a PC/Mac version, why would Amiga users back it?

This needs clarification. As it is it just seems release of the Amiga version is subject to creation and release of a PC/Mac version. That's again another carrot in front of the proverbial donkey.

Testing/fixing doesn't seem like warranting a Kickstarter, if the game really is made already.
This still sounds like some greedy unreliable shit.
Maybe we should put the pre-order question to him?
Old 25 October 2017, 04:58   #64
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I can't see the point of the kickstarter at all. From the comments, it sounds like almost everyone that would be interested are ONLY after the Amiga game. So just finish/release it in a limited box edition, and a digital download.

As for releasing a demo to gauge compatibility problems, the WHDLoad version of the 1 level demo has already found all the problems:

- Decruncher relocated to fast memory for super speed
- Empty DBF loops fixed in Protracker replayer (x5)
- Byte writes to audio registers fixed (x5)
- additional blitter waits and cache flushes after decrunching added to fix gfx corruption and hangs on faster machines (ACA1231, 68040/60)

I am confident any kickstarter for a PC or Mac version of the game will fail, and it would delay the Amiga version yet again. Just release the Amiga version, and if you really want to do a kickstarter, make that separate from (and after) the Amiga release.
Old 25 October 2017, 08:22   #65
nobody

If he would release the Amiga version then he would instantly kill his PC port, since they share assets. The PC version is the important one due to much larger market. It would make sense to buy the PC version and get an Amiga ADF too as an option.
Old 25 October 2017, 09:08   #66
vulture

Since we're not asking for a free amiga version, I see no reason why it would interfere with a possible pc version at all. Either way, the buyer has to pay for it.
Old 25 October 2017, 09:41   #67
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
It would make sense to buy the PC version and get an Amiga ADF too as an option.
Why should anyone interested in the Amiga version pay for the PC version? Doesn't make sense and will not work anyway!
Old 25 October 2017, 09:50   #68
nobody

Because you will not get the Amiga version without a PC version coming first.
Old 25 October 2017, 09:51   #69
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Right...
Old 25 October 2017, 10:13   #70
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Because you will not get the Amiga version without a PC version coming first.
Thats kind of the problem. That was the same conditions before, i.e. no Amiga release until the mobile versions were done.

Mobile versions have long been done, have you been enjoying the Amiga release?
Old 25 October 2017, 10:16   #71
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Totally agree.
Old 25 October 2017, 12:23   #72
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I've said what I had to say on this matter. I ONLY want the Amiga version and I will NOT pay for any other version at all, even if the Amiga version comes attached to it.

Making a PC/Mac/PS4/XBox/whatever version of the game won't make me buy it, just like I didn't buy the mobile version of the game. I do have a sense that the Amiga version is being held hostage and waved at our faces as bait to get us to buy stuff we don't really need nor want just for the promise of an Amiga release. I don't know about you guys, but I surely don't like the feeling.

Either give us (or sell it, it's his prerogative) the Amiga version or don't. This decade-long tango dancing is really annoying.
Old 25 October 2017, 22:38   #73
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have just read the whole original thread (23 pages) and I recommend it to everyone (who has enough time). It brings a good laughter

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39120
Old 25 October 2017, 22:54   #74
DamienD
Banned

Totally agree with everything you've said PortuguesePilot

All of us are willing to pay for an Amiga version and have been for over a decade now...

I just don't get why it seems to be attached to / held back for other versions to be created that no Amiga user gives a toss about

Also, why now even contact Amiga users that pledged support via the webpage for this version only over the many years that have passed if it's subject to other versions being created (yet again)???

I fear we will never get to see / play the full Amiga version; even with this latest thread / news, personally I've given up hope... Real shame as it's complete (and has been for donkeys)

Last edited by DamienD; 25 October 2017 at 23:22.
Old 27 October 2017, 18:43   #75
btwins

Thanks all for the feedback.

If no one has serious technical issues with the demo I released in 2008, than the game should be technically fine. The other stages are complete (videos are on Youtube since 1997). More testing is needed for difficulty. Other than that, most of the work for the Amiga version will be on packaging and distribution and I want to give this a premium attention.

I still believe a Kickstarter with a digital and physical collector edition is the safest approach to get this game out. The advantage over pre-order is that it guarantees minimum orders so I can assure feasibility. It is also good for marketing as I mentioned before. If there isn't enough support for the Amiga version then probably combining a retro version with the Kickstarter might help.

Old 27 October 2017, 18:53   #76
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It depends on the sum you want to collect on Kickstarter. Maybe you should communicate the targeted "financial reward" you want to achieve. Depending on that it safe to say if it's a good idea or pure nonsense.
Old 27 October 2017, 21:42   #77
Rob1

I don't see the point of a straight Amiga port to PC when they have better graphics from the mobile version. Be able to switch between retro and modern would be more appealing.

Old 27 October 2017, 22:29   #78
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwins View Post

If no one has serious technical issues with the demo I released in 2008, than the game should be technically fine. The other stages are complete (videos are on Youtube since 1997). More testing is needed for difficulty. Other than that, most of the work for the Amiga version will be on packaging and distribution and I want to give this a premium attention.

I still believe a Kickstarter with a digital and physical collector edition is the safest approach to get this game out. The advantage over pre-order is that it guarantees minimum orders so I can assure feasibility. It is also good for marketing as I mentioned before. If there isn't enough support for the Amiga version then probably combining a retro version with the Kickstarter might help.

Thanks for NOT answering my PM!
Old 27 October 2017, 23:25   #79
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwins View Post

There ARE problems with the demo, hence my bringing it up.

People are offering to help and well....... you seem reluctant to engage with those people.
Old 27 October 2017, 23:27   #80
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
There ARE problems with the demo, hence my bringing it up.

People are offering to help and well....... you seem reluctant to engage with those people.
That's because he wants to make a killing off this!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk