English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 December 2022, 10:20   #1
NorthWay

CyberGraphX_4 upgrades failing?

So getting the band together again (BFG9060 swap for my A4000D) I am again fighting against mysteriously broken stuff.

I got the CGFX4 install done anew without errors, but both the 42.7 rc6 and rc5 upgrade patches fails in the same way saying that spatch failed. I can't for the life of me see what is wrong - SnoopDos doesn't really indicate anything, and trying to run it by hand it seems to produce a new file as it should. The log file doesn't indicate any problem apart from me aborting the upgrade.

Have any of you done an upgrade and remember it working ok? Or know of any problems and/or fixes?
(Not sure why spatch was renamed patch and Imploder compressed.)
Old 02 December 2022, 11:41   #2
Snoopy1234

Do you have the CGFX4 disc loaded?
Old 02 December 2022, 13:41   #3
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
Do you have the CGFX4 disc loaded?
I have it on a mounted disk labeled as the cd name.
Old 02 December 2022, 16:28   #4
nogginthenog
Amigan

In my archive I have:

CGFX.iso
cgxv42_rc4.lha
cgxv42_rc5.lha
cgxv42_rc6.lha

Do you need to install RC4? Maybe my CD is just older.

I own a CV64/3D card but moved to Pic96 as it's still supported.
Old 02 December 2022, 19:21   #5
NorthWay

It is a CV64/3D.
I'll try going further back and see. Contemplating trying the CD update and/or copying the files over on the install disk and the try the update from there.
Worst case I'll build a script that does the patching and manually copy in place. It is just so annoying this isn't working - I thought these errors that I saw years ago was down to my hw failing in peculiar ways, but there is both a recap and new cpu card in play now and everything acts identically. As if there is some sw component tripping it up :-(
Old 02 December 2022, 22:27   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
I tend to use individual computers update P96 driver these days for the intuition update that allows for dragging windows off the screen. CGX doesn’t work for this feature.
Thats been possible for years with PowerWindows.
Old 03 December 2022, 11:27   #7
Thomas Richter

As a hack, depending on intuition and layers implementation internals. Actually, both CGfx and PowerWindows depend on such. In a situation like this, do you think Os development should be taken hostage by a graphics system that is no longer updated and has been orphaned by its author?
Old 03 December 2022, 11:38   #8
Channel-Z

"SnoopDos doesn't really indicate anything" ..... following this thread ;-)
Old 04 December 2022, 05:54   #9
NorthWay

So I did a fresh 3.1 install under WinUAE, installed from the CD files, and then the rc6 upgrade failed in exactly the same way. Harumph.
From a bit of googling I am wondering if this was the one install that had a problem with the protection bits on the cd, but it has been so long since I banged my head against it that I just can't remember. (But I do remember there was one cd where either the bit settings were wrong or you would not get it right without a cd filesystem that handled it correctly.)
Old 04 December 2022, 11:27   #10
Snoopy1234

Install updates from CD? Over on Amiga.org a guy succeeded with a scsi cd-rom not an ide one. Would need correct disc label too maybe.
Old 04 December 2022, 11:32   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think it requires CD (or CD image) mounted as a real CD in (real or emulated) CD drive, not copied files or something similar (like mounting the CD as harddrive in emulator)
Old 04 December 2022, 13:48   #12
jPV

Hm... it's been a long time (over 20 years) since I have installed CGX, but IIRC I had CD files on one extra HD partition which I had renamed as the original CD, and that did work then. But then it sounds familiar that I had to do spatching manually with some update(s). I'm pretty sure these are documented on some forums, but should do more googling I could try to dig my archives if I find the original update packages etc that I did use...
Old 04 December 2022, 18:01   #13
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
All the updates work as expected while having the cd mounted. It does need to be fully installed first from the cd before any update will work. Any effort to install any other way might lead to frustration.
Old 04 December 2022, 19:55   #14
NorthWay

Thanks all. I dug out the cd-rom and got it hooked up and installed IDEFix97 (I thought I had that or something equivalent already installed...)

...and magically the installer was happy. I'm not one to walk away from trying to debug what goes on, but this one makes me kinda angry looking at it so I think I'll leave it for a while. I still fail to see the difference between it being a cd or a disk partition when it actually says it is handling this and that file.
(Now I'm back to banging my head against the hw problems with my A4000D - I get a rogue byte write to $4C00C3C0, but that should have been my card answering on access. With MMULib I get a complete freeze (no I haven't installed all the tools to get the same debug info))
Old 04 December 2022, 20:11   #15
Thomas Richter

Not quite sure what the purpose of this exercise is, except as an exercise in masochism....

First, which graphics card is that? Note that the Cybervision/BVision family is not following Os guidelines, and thus make it hard to interface to it. It sits behind a proprietary undocumented PCI bridge that is not announced to the Os.

However, you ask for it, so you get it: First, make sure that P5Init is in LIBS:mmu and that it is called in ENVARC:MMU-Configuration. Second, the cybergraphics and/or the driver requires a patch, which is usually included in the MMU-Lib installation procedure, but if you did not follow this procedure, you need to do it yourself:

Locate, with a hex editor, all strings 68040.library and 68060.library in the cybergraphics.library and the driver, and replace this string by "p5emu.library". This library is created by P5Init. This patch is included in the MMULib installer, but may not apply to all versions of CGfx.

Third, you may have to install the v40 intuition.library.

If this is all too hard to you (and yes, it is painful....): The easy excercise is just to buy P96 and install it. The BVision/CyberVision is supported by the driver set, and works with Os 3.2 to full extend, and the MMULib to full extend.