English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 January 2017, 04:36   #1
LuigiThirty

Access Windows share over network from A2000?

I've got a networked A2000 with an X-Surf 100 and a PC with Windows 10. I'd like to be able to mount a Windows share as a drive in the Amiga if that's possible. If I can't use a Windows share directly, what's some third-party software I can use to make a folder on my PC accessible from the Amiga? The tutorials I can find on this are years old and seem to apply to Windows XP.
Old 06 January 2017, 06:17   #2
Pat the Cat
Banned

Why?

The fastest you are going to be able to access the data is the network time, plus the drive time. (Fastest Amiga network access = about 2.5MB a second). That's assuming Windoze is actually doing what you want, as opposed to what the NSA wants.

If you put an SD card reader inside the A2000 on the SCSI bus, that would access at about 2.5MB per second or faster (sometimes MUCH faster for very flash SCSI controllers).

Plus, you could use the SD card to transfer files between the two systems. Hours faster than using a network.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 06 January 2017 at 06:23.
Old 06 January 2017, 06:30   #3
LuigiThirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Why?

The fastest you are going to be able to access the data is the network time, plus the drive time. (Fastest Amiga network access = about 2.5MB a second). That's assuming Windoze is actually doing what you want, as opposed to what the NSA wants.

If you put an SD card reader inside the A2000 on the SCSI bus, that would access at about 2.5MB per second or faster (sometimes MUCH faster for very flash SCSI controllers).

Plus, you could use the SD card to transfer files between the two systems. Hours faster than using a network.
I've got an SD card as a hard drive in it already

I'm writing software in WinUAE and want to be able to access the compiler's output folder in my WinUAE hard drive (which is a folder on my PC, not a hardfile) from my real A2000. Maybe there's an Amiga-based file sharing solution that would work over the network?
Old 06 January 2017, 06:54   #4
Pat the Cat
Banned

Doubtful.It was never a sensible choice for a server. Might be a server daemon for it, but..

This might give you a few clues, but couldn't you just FTP the code using a browser and raw IP addresses?

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/amiga/networking/index.html
Old 06 January 2017, 08:42   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiThirty View Post
I've got a networked A2000 with an X-Surf 100 and a PC with Windows 10. I'd like to be able to mount a Windows share as a drive in the Amiga if that's possible. If I can't use a Windows share directly, what's some third-party software I can use to make a folder on my PC accessible from the Amiga? The tutorials I can find on this are years old and seem to apply to Windows XP.
First you need to set up the TCP/IP network of course.

Then you can use SMBFS to access SMB or CIFS shares. https://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-smbfs/
There are some quirks, though. The older version stopped working with Windows since Vista and the lastest version is unstable from time to time.

Another possibility would be to use Amiga Explorer. http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
But in this case you would have to push your compiler output to the Amiga from the Windows computer.

I'm not aware of an Amiga networking solution. (Which doesn't mean that there isn't one, I'm just not interested in this topic.)

The best solution IMHO is an external Linux or NetBSD (Samba) based NAS drive. For example a Synology DiskStation. But you can as well use OpenMediaVault or NAS4Free on a RaspberryPI. The NAS can be accessed as a network drive from Windows and with SMBFS from the Amiga.
Old 06 January 2017, 22:06   #6
Codetsu

FTP Mount
and you can link your FTP site on WB
http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/FTPMount
Old 07 January 2017, 00:21   #7
spudje

As thomas said, a TCP/IP stack (I guess you'll already have that running with your X-Surf), SMBFS and SMBMounter http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/SMBMounter if you want a nice GUI with that.
Old 09 January 2017, 01:06   #8
LuigiThirty

The new SMBFS and SMBMounter gave me exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 09 January 2017, 01:40   #9
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
The new SMBFS and SMBMounter gave me exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Thank you Rob Cranley. Recent release too, 2015.

Thanks for the thumbs up too, it's so difficult sometimes to know a solution is good without feedback.
Old 09 January 2017, 15:00   #10
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Thank you Rob Cranley. Recent release too, 2015.
You're most welcome Do bear in mind the limitations regarding smbfs versions and new versions of Windows. Personally I use a Linux-based NAS as a central point for most of my file sharing needs, since every machine can access it all the time.

Edit: FTPMount can also work well if you set up an FTP server on Windows, and is also supported by SMBMounter. But it doesn't support some operations (e.g. file seeking) so is best used just for file transfers rather than working with files on the remote drive.
Old 10 January 2017, 13:17   #11
idrougge

Quote:
I'm writing software in WinUAE and want to be able to access the compiler's output folder in my WinUAE hard drive (which is a folder on my PC, not a hardfile) from my real A2000. Maybe there's an Amiga-based file sharing solution that would work over the network?
If you're running WinUAE, you can use amiganetfs (http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS-revised) for quick and easy drive sharing between Amigas. Just enter netmount hostname host_drive local_name_for_drive and it shows up in your Workbench.