English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 December 2021, 23:46   #1
Malakie

blizzard PPC 040

Hi,

I have a blizzard PPC 040 setup in an A1200. I am having problems in one way.. getting the thing to actually finish a boot and load to WB.

It boots and is clearly loading but about mid load, it stops. Just stops. No errors, nothing.

If I attach another bootable drive and boot off that and use HDToolbox to look at the still attached scsi connected drive from the Blizzard card, it shows it there, it is set to boot top priority, the drive appears on workbench just fine and I can read/write no problem..

it is hanging on something but I don't know what. Is there an easy way to diagnose or does anyone have a clue what it might be hanging on from past experience?
Old 13 December 2021, 00:08   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Hi,

I have a blizzard PPC 040 setup in an A1200. I am having problems in one way.. getting the thing to actually finish a boot and load to WB.

It boots and is clearly loading but about mid load, it stops. Just stops. No errors, nothing.

If I attach another bootable drive and boot off that and use HDToolbox to look at the still attached scsi connected drive from the Blizzard card, it shows it there, it is set to boot top priority, the drive appears on workbench just fine and I can read/write no problem..

it is hanging on something but I don't know what. Is there an easy way to diagnose or does anyone have a clue what it might be hanging on from past experience?
Are you using the correct libraries for the 68040?

When you say you are booting a drive. From what? Internal IDE or is the BPPC you have the SCSI version?

Have checked the SCSI settings on the BPPC is booting from the SCSI header? <Hold and press ESC key> on power up or after CTRL+Amiga+Amiga to get into the BPPC menu.
Old 13 December 2021, 21:59   #3
Photon

Do you see any text on screen at all? If not, the likely culprit is the startup-sequence. You can find out by holding both mousebuttons and boot without it. If you get a DOS prompt the hardware and OS works fine.

I would just find where it stops and fix it so it boots to WB. But if you can't do this, I would backup the drive, then re-install the drive. Then you could make everything shiny and new with all the stuff you want (or don't want) as you like while still have the data preserved.

If you suspect the hardware, I would boot a MemTest disk such as MemTest87 (there are probably other trusted ones). But without more to go on, it sounds like the hardware is OK and it's a software problem.

Last edited by Photon; 13 December 2021 at 22:04.