English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2023, 03:35   #1
whowasphone

I have written 32 guides for the Amiga CD32.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/commun...ributions/faqs

One of my Dad's colleagues gave my sister and I a CD32 and lots of games back in the late 90s. He heard that we liked games and was impressed that I had beaten Train on Goldeneye. I guess that was a bit of an achievement for a 9 year old. Despite this kindness, my Dad didn't like this guy, maybe because they disagreed about how to do their jobs, they were both gardeners at a big country garden. So whenever he saw me and my sister playing the CD32 instead of our new, expensive N64, he would think of this guy and get cross. One day we came back from school to find our CD32 was gone, our Dad had thrown it in the bin. If he knew how much they are worth now I am sure he would regret it!

This project was my idea of a sh’t post. I was pissed off with a coworker and decided to waste my work time in the most effective way possible, writing guides for a 20-year-old console with a bad reputation. If you go over to the Amiga CD32 board on GameFAQs you will find posts and posts of me talking to myself like a total nutter.

I thought it made my profile look a bit weird with only a few guides so I decided to aim for 32. I’ve always been inspired by the NES Guide Completion Project on GameFAQs, so this is also my tribute to it. I didn’t think anyone would actually read any of my guides, I wrote them for myself. But some of them have done quite well considering. My most popular one is for the Austrian burglary simulator, The Clue! The game clearly has a cult following still because my guide for it has passed 1,700 views.

I also fully mapped several of the games, including the fps games GLOOM and FEARS. My maps for FEARS were received very well here, which made me really happy as my translation guides have mostly been ignored by the N64 community. Thank you for the support everyone!

It would have been impossible to write all of these guides without the help of Hall of Light, Amiga Reviews .com, and Amiga Magazine Rack. The Amiga community has done a fantastic job of cataloging and preserving video game history. I am indebted to these amazing websites!

Completed guides in upload order;

1. Liberation Captive 2
2. Diggers
3. Oscar
4. Dangerous Streets
5. Akira
6. Amiga CD32 Game Completion Guide
7. Final Gate
8. Prey: An Alien Encounter – (Game Fully Mapped)
9. Microcosm
10. Alien Breed: Tower Assault – (Game Fully Mapped)
11. Banshee
12. Black Viper – (Game Fully Mapped)
13. Whale's Voyage
14. Litil Divil – (Game Fully Mapped)
15. Subwar 2050
16. The Clue
17. Fears – (Game Fully Mapped)
18. Alien Breed 3D
19. Gloom – (Game Fully Mapped)
20. The Speris Legacy
21. Death Mask
22. Alien Breed 92
23. Overkill and Lunar C
24. Deep Core
25. Disposable Hero
26. Frontier Elite II
27. Fly Harder
28. Guardian
29. Surf Ninjas
30. Bubba 'n' Stix
31. Alien Breed II The Horror Continues – (Game Fully Mapped)
32. Kang Fu

The CD32 guide percentage now stands at 78 / 177 (44%). It’s cool to know that I contributed 14% to that total, but goes to show that even on a console with a tiny library there is still a lot of work to do!

I knew I had to save something “special” for last, so I ended the project with the infamous and bizarre platformer Kang Fu.

That’s probably enough CD32 for now.
Old 02 June 2023, 08:35   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just had a quick look and they seem in-depth and well written I'll add them to the notes section of the HOL entries for those games later.
Old 02 June 2023, 08:57   #3
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowasphone View Post

This project was my idea of a sh’t post. I was pissed off with a coworker and decided to waste my work time in the most effective way possible, writing guides for a 20-year-old console with a bad reputation. If you go over to the Amiga CD32 board on GameFAQs you will find posts and posts of me talking to myself like a total nutter.
Old 02 June 2023, 09:03   #4
whowasphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Just had a quick look and they seem in-depth and well written I'll add them to the notes section of the HOL entries for those games later.
Wow! That would be an honor! Thank you TCD!
I still need to send you those individual maps for FEARS!

I tried my best to make them as accurate as possible, but if anyone notices any errors please let me know!

I won't lie, some of them are somewhat useless! Who needs a text guide for a SHMUP when a video guide would be far more useful! Those ones were really just written for fun and to get closer to the 32 guide target.

If you only read one check out the Amiga CD32 Game Completion Guide it lists what you need to do in order to beat every game on the system.
Old 02 June 2023, 10:04   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I still need to send you those individual maps for FEARS!
That would be nice

Added all the guides/walkthroughs to HOL. Please have a look if I linked them correctly and report any issues.
Old 02 June 2023, 10:25   #6
str0m

Just looking now, some good work thanks! I had no idea there were different weapons or a map in Microcosm, maybe now I will find it an amazing game!
Old 02 June 2023, 12:23   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

What country were you living in when you had your CD32 as a child?
Old 05 June 2023, 07:55   #8
whowasphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
That would be nice

Added all the guides/walkthroughs to HOL. Please have a look if I linked them correctly and report any issues.
Thank you very much! That is very kind of you! I hope they will be of help to someone! I didn't notice any errors! Hopefully I can get around to doing those maps for you next month, as I am going on a trip this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I had no idea there were different weapons or a map in Microcosm, maybe now I will find it an amazing game!
I think it's still a bit arse, but it's a certainly a defining game of the era, in the FMV world anyway. As far as I know the CD32 version is quite different from the other versions, hence the map, weapons and gameplay style being different. The main difference is that only the FM Towns and MS DOS versions have the Rick Wakeman sound track and have a first person perspective. This makes a big difference to the gameplay as you can actually see what you are shooting at. In all other versions of the game, the enemies are obscured by the sprite of your
ship, meaning if you can shoot them, they can shoot you. The FM Towns and DOS game have more of scrolling light gun game play while the CD32 game has more of a "explore veins and find the things you need to destroy" type gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
What country were you living in when you had your CD32 as a child?
I lived in England as a child, but I moved to Japan about 8 years ago. I know I'm not the only Amiga fan here, but certainly in the minority!

Thank you very much for the support everyone! I really appreciate it!

Last edited by whowasphone; 05 June 2023 at 08:01.
Old 05 June 2023, 08:41   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Thank you very much! That is very kind of you! I hope they will be of help to someone! I didn't notice any errors! Hopefully I can get around to doing those maps for you next month, as I am going on a trip this week.
No worries Just would be nice if we could add them at one point.
Old 19 June 2023, 03:13   #10
whowasphone

As a epilogue to this project, I recently traveled back home for my sisters wedding. I got the opportunity to ask my Dad why he threw out our CD32.

Well, he didn't remember ever having it in the first place!

Goes to show you never know what actions will affect your children!
Old 20 June 2023, 07:05   #11
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Quote:
I lived in England as a child, but I moved to Japan about 8 years ago. I know I'm not the only Amiga fan here, but certainly in the minority!

Thank you very much for the support everyone! I really appreciate it!
Hi, great to see another Amiga user in Japan! I've been in Japan for 17 years now, and it is always nice to hear about other Amiga users. Where in Japan do you live?
Old 20 June 2023, 08:45   #12
whowasphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Hi, great to see another Amiga user in Japan! I've been in Japan for 17 years now, and it is always nice to hear about other Amiga users. Where in Japan do you live?
I live in Kanto, not far from Chiba!

We should organize an Amiga meet up in Tokyo sometime!
I know there are some other Japanese residents on this board!