English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 March 2010, 03:03   #1
kirk
Zone Friend

Im torn between older winuae and latest beta because...

I really hate to ask this, cos i do realise the latest winuae is better featured and more accurate than the older winuae 1.5.3 i was using, and using the latest beta has solved my screen resolution problem i asked about here--

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51470

BUT (takes sharp intake of breath), i would still like to use the older winuae for aga stuff cos the latest winuae requires more pc grunt (ducks head to avoid flying objects) and my laptop will not run aga stuff properly with beta15, but it will (just) with 1.5.3,

evidenced by this (unless im doing something wrong,i hope i am and will be quite happy to be shown up !)-----

agony ingame level 1, a500 quickstart, fullscreen, winuae ver 1.5.3, cpu usage on my msi x410 amd athlon neo 1.6 ghz is 55%

agony ingame level 1, a500 quickstart, fullscreen, winuae ver 2100 beta 15, cpu usage on my msi x410 amd athlon neo 1.6 ghz is 75%

dont get me wrong, i love the latest winuae, its better featured etc, but i need to use older winuae for aga, so this leads me asking to submit a log file for older winuae cos ive not overcome the screen resolution problem mentioned in my post linked above.

i wont send it now, i was told older winuae is not supported (i understand this) but ill wait with baited breath for a reply either way, and ill take it on the chin with good grace.

cheers.winuae is the dogs bollocks (thats means its a good thing by the way !, common british saying praising something !)
Old 11 March 2010, 08:05   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you are talking about cycle-exact: do not bother with it

If not, find the version which is last "fast" version and we can decide if it is a bug or a feature (also make sure you test with and without d3d in last beta)
Old 11 March 2010, 18:54   #3
kirk
Zone Friend

thanx for reply.
in both the quickstarts (old and new winuae) cycle exact is not selected by default.

in last beta, i can not find the d3d option to test, i presume its in filters but its not labeled as such (in old winuae direct3d was in filters list), if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction i am gagging to test this out.

when i did my agony test on old winuae obviously direct3d is not used (not selected), but maybe the new winuae has it on by default ?, if so then that would explain the extra cpu demand ?, anyhow, if i could deselect it then i can test this, but i carnt find it,lol

cheers
Old 11 March 2010, 18:57   #4
kirk
Zone Friend

ah, its in presets, soz to ask.trying now.
Old 11 March 2010, 19:25   #5
kirk
Zone Friend

have now tested, tried all the d3d options in beta15 and with combinations of null/no filter.
results for agony cpu usage is same as tested before, however, running lower res (800x600) deffo lowers cpu demand (by 35%) but obviously massive black borders with no way to stretch out ?

ill faff with this 2nite and see if some combination hits the sweet spot, but in a nutshell, my problem seems to be getting a good sized fullscreen display without ramping up the resolution (on beta15 at least,on older winuaes could go higher without ramping up cpu), or some way to stretch smaller screen out (in 800x600 applying various filters and stretching results in only being able to see middle portion of game display and can only be stretched out to the large black borders)

obviously using beta15 at my laptops native resolution corrects all this, but at the expense of cpu demand (but when using older winuae [linked post above] i could get lower cpu demand but a bordered display, but this time only a half inch border, which i could eliminate if i could run winuae at laptops screen full resolution, which would cause winuae to exit)

swings and roundabouts i suppose

again, winuae is the mutts nuts (a good thing!)

cheers
Old 12 March 2010, 17:54   #6
Photon

It is the bee's knees!
Old 12 March 2010, 18:41   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You didn't mention if you tried D3D or DirectDraw modes? (EDIT: you did but what about ddraw?)
Old 12 March 2010, 19:53   #8
kirk
Zone Friend

thanx for info.

ill try this asap.ill post back with results.

cheers
Old 13 March 2010, 12:16   #9
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
the mutts nuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
the bee's knees!
Round here we call WinUAE the Dog's Danglies.

D.
Old 13 March 2010, 14:25   #10
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
Yeah, really nice information...

Please let us know more about "Winuae"...
It's an application for the measurement of your pet dog's testicles.

Quote:
As how about the usage of the software....?
You basically use it as a historical document producer - you use a tape measure to determine drop of said danglies, width of each, overall girth etc, and WinUAE then calculates things for you - optimal frontdoor step height, for instance so that your dog doesn't get bruised unnecessarily. It does a wide range of things for your mutt's nuts.

Quote:
what are the technical specifications required for it..?
You need a moderately powerful PC, due to the use of D3D to accurately model the growth over time of your dog's jewels. You can probably find a lot of threads that deal with the D3D issues, particularly the shaders needed to model the hairs properly.

You'll also need one dog, male, non-neutered. Many here recommend that you get yourself a Jack Russell of reasonable plumpness, as they appear to have the most offensively large plums of all breeds. That said, a few do like the looks of the Pitbull rear-view.

Quote:
as what are the Hierarchy of supportive softwares...??
There isn't much in the way of supporting software, as mostly what you'll need is a decent reliable tape-measure. There was a rival mutt's nuts suite, by the name of Fellow but that is no longer in development, and only supported a narrow range of canine breeds.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

D.
Old 13 March 2010, 14:27   #11
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Lol
Old 13 March 2010, 14:45   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Dunny
Nice one I just clicked the report button. Hope your post wil survive though
Old 13 March 2010, 14:55   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@Dunny
Nice one I just clicked the report button. Hope your post wil survive though
Why did you press the report button if you "hope that the post will survive"?
Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, nice one Dunny, your post made my day.
Old 13 March 2010, 15:04   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Why did you press the report button if you "hope that the post will survive"?
Doesn't make sense.
Because you can't report a user, just his posts.
Old 13 March 2010, 18:29   #15
Dunny

Quote:
Because you can't report a user, just his posts.
Hang on a mo - you wanted to report me for that? So you had to go with the second-best route and report the post instead?

Crikey, mate, get a life! It was just a bit of light-hearted fun with a spammer/undesirable, and was on-topic, as we'd been discussing mutts' nuts previously.

D.
Old 13 March 2010, 19:38   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is time to to continue with original topic. Or something happens.
Old 13 March 2010, 23:12   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow Misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Hang on a mo - you wanted to report me for that?
I guess with "a user", TCD was referring to unicorn rather than to you. It was, admittedly, not too obvious in what he wrote, though; at least not at first glance.
Old 14 March 2010, 12:33   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sorry for the confusion. Of course I reported unicorn's post and not Dunny's.

@kirk
Do you have some results yet? Would like to hear what your tests showed.
Old 14 March 2010, 18:25   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sorry for OTT comment but I think Dunnys post should be in the about of winuae or at least make it to one of the help files, some of the funniest comments I`ve read on eab for some time

right back to WinUAE 1.5.3 versus beta speed tests
Old 14 March 2010, 20:11   #20
kirk
Zone Friend

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Of course I reported unicorn's post and not Dunny's.

@kirk
Do you have some results yet? Would like to hear what your tests showed.
soz for delay.
ive been busy trying to get my win 7 rig to dual boot xp, but i fear i cocked it up (i think xp can not be installed on a win7 installation ?,its gotta be the other way around methinks, thats probably why i got skipped files during xp setup), but thats another story.

anyhow, i finally got winuae back up and running and installed directx9 (needed to try out direct3d mode).
yep,toni was correct (obviously !), d3d is indeed faster but only slightly (about 5% less cpu usage on my rig), but hey, its better than nowt on my underpowered rig

also d3d offers similiar improvement on older winuae.

however, i really like the latest winuae, its better and more accurate and has many improvements, and im gonna use it cos i want my miggy stuff perfect and winuae delivers, SO, im taking this msi x410 laptop back to argos (believe it or not the build quality is poor, the keyboard is warped and lumpy, and after posting on ms1 forums yesterday i now realise it is actually a fault and not a design feature of slim laptops), so its gotta go back, and im gonna exchange it for a much better specced non slim lappy that they currently have for the same price.

i ramble on about the lappy above cos the upshot is i will be able to enjoy winuae to its full potential (i have used winuae on a dual core 2ghz hp in the past and boy did winuae fly !,full res,various filters on etc, even better than the 3.2ghz p4 i had years ago)