English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 October 2021, 13:36   #61
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
A small correction: Cryptic Passage has only one eponymous episode. If you complete one level you will progress to the next, just like in the stock episodes.
The "User Map" option is meant to load loose levels that you or someone else created in the map editor, and don't come with its own "INI" file describing an episode.
Excellent! Now I understand the user map selection Keep up the good work, this is all I have played these last two weeks!!!
Old 16 October 2021, 15:31   #62
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotter View Post
Finally had the chance to test the port with Midi too!!
Like other users, had to change MusicDevice to "0" to open CAMD.
Thank you very much for the port BSzili. My weekend will be Bloody awesome :-)

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for the video! At first I thought it was running pretty poorly, then I noticed the resolution: 640x400 When you switched to 320x200 became butter smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Excellent! Now I understand the user map selection Keep up the good work, this is all I have played these last two weeks!!!
Thanks! Next week I hope to release another update that will give a 10-20% performance boost depending on the scene.
Old 21 October 2021, 11:27   #63
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

I haven't played blood in years,it's awesome I can now play it on amiga,thanks for this.
Old 21 October 2021, 12:28   #64
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Blood is one of my favourites. I added some screenshots to the HOL entry.

There are a lot of film references to The Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Elvira and The Shining.
Old 21 October 2021, 13:26   #65
rabidgerry

Quote:
Thanks! Next week I hope to release another update that will give a 10-20% performance boost depending on the scene.
If there was an emoji for a drooling person I would put that here ....

Looking forward to that "maranox and speerbooks"! Or whatever the hell it is they say
Old 21 October 2021, 13:46   #66
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post

There are a lot of film references to The Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Elvira and The Shining.
A man of culture. I don't remember the Elvira reference though. Probably my favorite reference is this one:

[ Show youtube player ]

So obscure
Old 21 October 2021, 14:21   #67
rabidgerry

Think Elvira is on a calendar in a room somewhere where the cultists are hanging out. 2nd Level?? Can't remember now but I saw her
Old 21 October 2021, 14:58   #68
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I need to play... again.
Old 21 October 2021, 15:35   #69
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I need to play... again.
Dam right you do!
Old 21 October 2021, 17:14   #70
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:

Thanks, it's an honor. Wow, that's a lot of screenshots, even from the secret levels!
Speaking of movie references, a year ago I listened to an interview with Nick Newhard. Blood started out as a serious Lovecraftian horror game, but George Broussard from 3D Realms suggested to make it more campy. I think they ended up with a great blend of dark and campy horror elements. For anyone interested, here's the full interview:
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
If there was an emoji for a drooling person I would put that here ....

Looking forward to that "maranox and speerbooks"! Or whatever the hell it is they say
It might not happen this weekend, as I'm still trying to track down these occasional lockups. For testing I updated the other two games (Exhumed, Shadow Warrior) to the latest engine, and they started freezing too. I already have a long list of what is not the cause, but so far couldn't figure out why they happen yet

Quote:
Think Elvira is on a calendar in a room somewhere where the cultists are hanging out. 2nd Level?? Can't remember now but I saw her
I think they used this calendar in multiple levels, but there's definitely one in E1M2 in the train station's kitchen.
Old 22 October 2021, 11:06   #71
rabidgerry

No need to put pressure on yourself to get the update done, when it arrives, it arrives.

Do you need any freezes reported or lockups reported? If it's useful I can note mine. I just thought they were random.
Old 26 October 2021, 07:42   #72
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Version 1.2 is now live on Aminet, link in the first post.
It finally corrects the default value for MusicDevice (it will be 0 instead of -2). I also fixed the MHI MP3 playback, so it no longer (ab)uses the audio interrupt to feed MHI, it has its own thread. Last but not least it brings some performance improvements over the previous version.
Old 26 October 2021, 19:51   #73
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Wait a minute... MP3? Does the game has MP3 for audio? If so, on a PPC-powered system can it be decoded with a PuP/WOS mpega lib?
Old 26 October 2021, 20:22   #74
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Wait a minute... MP3? Does the game has MP3 for audio? If so, on a PPC-powered system can it be decoded with a PuP/WOS mpega lib?
It uses MHI wrapper wich directs it to in my case delfinampeg.device. Point is audio cards with DSP can this way play music with zero CPU usage.

You need to test that.
Old 26 October 2021, 20:25   #75
rabidgerry

Quote:
Version 1.2 is now live on Aminet, link in the first post.
It finally corrects the default value for MusicDevice (it will be 0 instead of -2). I also fixed the MHI MP3 playback, so it no longer (ab)uses the audio interrupt to feed MHI, it has its own thread. Last but not least it brings some performance improvements over the previous version.
YES!!

Thank you yet again!
Old 26 October 2021, 22:18   #76
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
The MP3 playback uses MHI, which is an interface for hardware MP3 decoders like the MAS Player, and DSP equipped sound cards (Delfina, Melody, etc.).
For PPC Hedeon is working on a native WarpOS port which will have Vorbis support.
Old 27 October 2021, 01:38   #77
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
The MP3 playback uses MHI, which is an interface for hardware MP3 decoders like the MAS Player, and DSP equipped sound cards (Delfina, Melody, etc.).
For PPC Hedeon is working on a native WarpOS port which will have Vorbis support.
With the help of CowCat, nearly done. Will be RTG only probably. CAMD and Vorbis supported. Sound through SDL. Currently looking at 50 fps at 800x600. and it says ~200 fps at 320x240 (Voodoo3, 450MHz G4). Not sure if that is correct. Network needs some work still.
Old 27 October 2021, 14:06   #78
Solo Kazuki

Quote:

But why without panel? I'll add some screenshots with panel, because it's not sure that your screenshots are even from Amiga.
Old 27 October 2021, 16:57   #79
kriz

Very nice with MHI support, is it the first game supporting it for sound ?
Old 27 October 2021, 18:31   #80
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
But why without panel? I'll add some screenshots with panel, because it's not sure that your screenshots are even from Amiga.
It's the default screen size, because the full status bar is usually slower. It has to be the Amiga version, at least the loading screen Unlike the DOS version I stuff everything used by the map into the cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Very nice with MHI support, is it the first game supporting it for sound ?
That's a good question. I know NovaCoder's AmiDuke port had Prisma Megamix support back in 2014, but I'm not sure if it used MHI or some Prisma-specific library. Either way it's one of the few games that support MHI. Soon Shadow Warrior and Exhumed will also inherit this feature.