English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 October 2022, 21:50   #1
Weasel Fierce

How retro are you?

Are you into other "retro" hobbies? If so what?

I don't mean hobbies that were around in the Amiga era (like tabletop gaming) but hobbies involving actual retro material. Do you play any tabletop games released in the 80s and 90s? Classic hi-fi gear? An old car you tinker on? Record collecting?
Old 24 October 2022, 22:21   #2
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post

I don't mean hobbies that were around in the Amiga era (like tabletop gaming) but hobbies involving actual retro material. Do you play any tabletop games released in the 80s and 90s? Classic hi-fi gear? An old car you tinker on? Record collecting?
Retro gaming collection leaves little room for other sorts of collections, but I do have some old camera gear and some old wooden (Pre-transistor age) Radios which I like the look of.
Old 24 October 2022, 22:34   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do movies count? I like to discover movies that were made well before I was born. Books too. Otherwise I still listen to radio.
Old 24 October 2022, 22:41   #4
zipper

Stamps, beginning from 1856. Stopped to 2020.
Old 24 October 2022, 22:48   #5
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I have a drumkit from the nineties. Does that count?
Old 24 October 2022, 23:45   #6
XPD
Geek Kiwi

I drool over JDM cars from the early 90's, does that count ?
Old 25 October 2022, 00:41   #7
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have a complete collection of James Bond books that I collected as a child.
Old 25 October 2022, 00:43   #8
Daedalus

Not much time for them these days, but in a previous life I liked to look after my cars, which weren't old-old, but in the 15-20 years old mark, which to some people is old enough to scrap. '90s to '00s VAG cars in particular - loved my Golf III GTI 16v!

I also used to work on steam trains, mostly looking after the carriages, sometimes pulling pints and serving drinks in the on-board bar. The oldest engine that we still had in service was from 1875, which is pretty retro
Old 25 October 2022, 00:46   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

No. I'd like to be though. Just need to find the right hobby. Somewhere along the line I missed my calling and never went into electronics, fixing up retro hardware should have been it.
Old 25 October 2022, 02:47   #10
UberFreak

Old computers is my main hobby, but other than that:
VCRs, LPs, VHS tapes, the odd 70's audio gear and most recently - boomboxes from late-70's/early-80's.

The main issue is free space...
Old 25 October 2022, 09:04   #11
Jope
-

I still own a few Saab 9000s, but no longer daily drive them. Not enough time to work on them as often as I'd like.

Retro? Maybe. Some things in life I liked so much that I didn't get rid of them, but that seems to define me so much in the eyes of other people, as if I'd spend all my time thinking about old stuff.
Old 25 October 2022, 11:24   #12
dreadnought

I still use Galaxy S4 as my main phone. For kids these days this is probably not even "retro", but "ancient".

@Daedalus: wow, that's a kind of a dream job I wouldn't mind having for a year or three.
Old 25 October 2022, 11:50   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I used my S4 mini for 4 years and I was sorry to have to replace it, but eventually it went the way that the replacement phone did as well (after another 5 years) - refuses to charge. At some point a phone is used up. It's not the best of ideas to replace a phone only after it dies nowadays, especially if that phone is used as a 2nd factor for security purposes.
Old 25 October 2022, 11:58   #14
dreadnought

At least in older phones you could open it and change the swollen battery, which was often the reason for it dying, or generally do some repairs, maybe even put in bigger memory card...(crazy idea, I know). I got a new-ish Xiaomi recently as a present and this thing doesn't open at all - made to be thrown away eventually.

It's quite surreal that in modern times you have to have a dedicated movement to fight for Right2Repair...unthinkable BITD, because it was so obvious.
Old 25 October 2022, 14:46   #15
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've just got a Nikko remote control car dated 1988. It's boxed as new, never driven. Makes a great ornament for the mantlepiece though.
Old 25 October 2022, 15:10   #16
acidbottle

Tonnes (too much) of stuff.

Have loads of 12" vinyls from the 90s, CDs and tape collections to.
Transformers *cough* have a few chugs in a cabinet but really liking the new legends scale stuff from newage to.
A large assortment of DVDs and the odd VHS of old movies from the 80s. If there is a better era in cinema than the 80s then tell me about it! Have old movie posters on the wall in our hallway.
Comics, cant beat anything from the 60s, right up until the 80s (think Todd McFarlane Spidey etc). Why are modern graphic novels just pictures now? Dialogue seems to have gone out the window.
Was still using an old sony discman until a year ago, then it broke
Sold an RS2000 car to a few years back, was my daily driver!

Thats about it for now. I'm a sad old git with little love for modern society and pop culture
Old 25 October 2022, 15:10   #17
Nobby_UK

Graphic Novels ?
+ Tons of DVD's
Old 25 October 2022, 15:12   #18
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Does this count?

Old 25 October 2022, 15:20   #19
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post

Outside of retrocomputing and gaming, I'm quite into minidiscs, I have some classic Hi-Fi gear, Shortwave DXing (I have some old radio gear for that but it's not all working).
Old 25 October 2022, 15:59   #20
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
@Daedalus: wow, that's a kind of a dream job I wouldn't mind having for a year or three.
It was awesome, would be my dream job too, but sadly that sort of work is voluntary so has to take a back seat to life.

This is her (not my photo though I could well have been working on board that day):